Snow ice cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
We had about 15 inches of snow yesterday!!! In the midst of the snow, I called my dad and asked him how he used to make snow ice cream when we were kids. I asked him if it was something he made up for us, he told me he also ate it as a kid. Anybody else heard of it or made it before? Here's how my dad's goes:

Chocolate Snow Ice Cream
2 big bowls of clean, freshly fallen snow
milk
vanilla
sugar
cocoa powder

Basically it's like a double boiler system, or in this case, a double freezer. :LOL: You set one bowl in the other to keep it cold. Mix in milk until the snow is...(hmm, how do I put this?) good snowball material. Not slushy but all the snow should be moist. Throw a shot of vanilla in too. We mix the sugar and cocoa together, to get the taste right (it's usually about 2 to 1), then add it to the snow. If it gets too thin, just grab some snow from the other bowl. Eat right away!!! Yum!

we used to top bowls of snow with maple syrup but, I like your idea much better. ( we only got about 1 inch of the white stuff here)

My grandfather used to do something similar to this, except he used the stovetop popcorn maker to mix it on top of a bowl of salted ice. It was always Golden Guernsey milk, with 3 or 4 inches of cream on top of each quart. I wish we had snow and there was GG milk in the fridge!

I saw an episode of Paula Deans cooking show where she made snow icecream.........said it was the best she'd ever had. If I remember right she jsut added soem Evaporated milk and vanilla. I'm going to have to go search to be sure and try it out............minus the yellow snow mind you :LOL:

The next time snow comes to Mount Pelion, I just may decide to make iceballs. As a kid back home then, I used to suck on these balls made out of shaved ice coated with multi-coloured syrup - rose, pandan, grenadine, palm sugar etc. Some of them have sweetened red beans, cubed agar-agar and grass jelly in the center. What a treat!

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot about the evaporated milk as well.

I used to make snow ice cream as a kid all the time. I can't remember the recipe.

One thing I've learned is that you have to be careful with the snow. The nucleas of a snowflake is "supposed" to form around a bit of dust in the air. In many places nowadays, the dust is replaced with air pollution.

I imagine that it is, as long as it's clean and not from the sidewalk or street.

But you have to catch it off the bushes when it's fresh and pure. I saw Paula Deen make this on her show.

Where I live it's called "Snow Cream." The lady who made the best in our area just died so, alas, we'll have to muddle through next winter. If we get any snow, that is. This winter we didn't get enough for a doggie to wee wee on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom