"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Wasn't that those wonderful chocolate/vanilla/strawberry combos of ice cream I remember from childhod?
I think that is neopolitan ice cream, which has similar esthetics. I believe the difference to be that spumoni has chocolate, cherry and pistachio.

It's nice ro remember your childhood through ice cream...

Take care

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Wasn't that those wonderful chocolate/vanilla/strawberry combos of ice cream I remember from childhod?
Actually, that reminds me of neopolitan ice cream. Spumoni, as I recall has pistachio, chocolate, cherries, etc. and I think a hint of rum might be close to the authentic. I think the crushed ameretti cookie would give it a nice zing. Two good ice cream desserts - but very different in taste and composition. Another Italian dessert I recall growing up was, I think, called Tortoni (sp) - vanilla ice cream and a crunchy topping.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

That is neapolitan, aka in my childhood as Van-Choc-Straw.

Spumoni is a much lovelier spin on that trio.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out, Brian.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I haven't thought about spumoni ice cream in a long time. Now, I will have to visit my local Italian store and get some. It is really my favorite ice cream!!!!

Thanks, I think.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Actually, that reminds me of neopolitan ice cream. Spumoni, as I recall has pistachio, chocolate, cherries, etc. and I think a hint of rum might be close to the authentic. I think the crushed ameretti cookie would give it a nice zing. Two good ice cream desserts - but very different in taste and composition. Another Italian dessert I recall growing up was, I think, called Tortoni (sp) - vanilla ice cream and a crunchy topping.
Thanks for mentioning the rum and reminding me about the ameretti cookies. I will have to make the cookies.

Take care

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie
I haven't thought about spumoni ice cream in a long time. Now, I will have to visit my local Italian store and get some. It is really my favorite ice cream!!!!

Thanks, I think.
Were something tight so you can't eat too much...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
That is neapolitan, aka in my childhood as Van-Choc-Straw.

Spumoni is a much lovelier spin on that trio.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out, Brian.
I'm very excited about this little adventure I have taken on. I will keep in touch. It is even more exciting as the warm weather is starting to roll in...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Somebody on DC has a signature that says something like; you have to go back to God if you want to do it from scratch. I didn’t put quote marks on it because it was paraphrased. Well, I didn’t go all the way back to God, but I’m getting pretty close.

For starters, I am making the pistachio ice cream. I had to find a decent recipe and convert it to a 1-liter size. Well I have found what looks to be a decent recipe, my friend Satya (wife), went to the big city (Montréal) and picked up some pistachio nuts, in the shell. It’s amazing, when you start shelling pistachio nuts, that it seems you end up with more shells than nut meat…

So I’m shelling the pistachio today and if I have a chance I will start the liquid mix. Here is a peak at the recipe for the pistachio ice cream, which I will modify, as needed, for my needs. I will keep you posted on the abridged version as I go along:

PISTACHIO ICE CREAM

1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 large egg yolks
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, toasted, coarsely chopped

Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in processor. Bring milk and ground pistachio mixture to boil in heavy large saucepan. Remove from heat. Mix in almond extract.
Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return custard to saucepan. Cook over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes (do not boil). Strain into large bowl. Chill until cold, about 2 hours.

Stir 1 cup whipping cream and chopped pistachios into custard. Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container and freeze. (Ice cream can be prepared 3 days ahead.)

Makes 3.5 cups.

Bon Appétit, January 1999
From the epicurious.com web site.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
In Germany it's called Fuerst-Pueckler-Eiscreme and I think I have some in my freezer... I have the feeling, I must look for it immediately...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara
In Germany it's called Fuerst-Pueckler-Eiscreme and I think I have some in my freezer... I have the feeling, I must look for it immediately...
One of the benefits of this group is to remind us of the important things we have lying about in the freezer .

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None