"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Nice picture Brianmorin did you design it yourself?

Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Sorry for being off topic, I haven't seen any of your posts in the off topic yet.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Click image for larger version

Name:	GladYouLikeItBri.gif
Views:	150
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1537 Click image for animated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketobake
Nice picture Brianmorin did you design it yourself?
Glad you like the pic... No problem with the off topic stuff.

For some reason, I don't know why, the one I posted here only works when you click on it?

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Well, there is more to cooking, baking and food prep. than hopping around the kitchen. You also have to look around for equipment. You can use your bare hands for absolutely everything, I don’t think? At any rate I can’t. So if my theory is correct, even though there has been 10 of thousands of years of anecdotal corroboration, I must still qualify my statement, I had to by an ice cream machine! After the machine is ordered, as there is absolutely no one in Rawdon that would carry an ice cream machine on there shelves, you wait. It was very funny, because I was told that the unit would not ship out for two weeks from the time I ordered it, but never the less I decided, not more that two working days, four days after I had ordered it, to check on it’s progress. Something told me that that was a good thing to do. So I called Rival. I figured I would check out the efficiency of there system. Rival told me that the parcel had already gone and gave me a tracking number. I was quite surprised and thought that this may bring my secret to an end if they delivered it on Tuesday. I called U.P.S., not knowing I could go to there web site. I got to an agent in a short period of time, maybe 5 minutes and possibly less. Gave them my tracking information. I was told that the parcel would be delivered Wednesday. I was in luck, Suzanne was in Montréal all day on Wednesday. I call this, affectionately, my day off. 

I Can Keeping a Secret but can’t tell a lie.

I can’t lie, but I can keep a secret to a certain point. It is the honest politician way. You don’t lie, you just don’t tell everything, plus you answer questions as vaguely as possible. Of course I don’t hold the outcome of the world in my hands, plus I will eventually tell the truth. (Suzanne is getting a copy of this report. I digress. Back to the story.

Wednesday morning bright and early, I call U.P.S. There friendly (tongue in cheek) computer. Not that she – sorry ladies but it had a woman’s voice – was unfriendly sounding but she was a bit mechanical. She/It told me that my White Mountain was on delivery. Hooray! Says I… That was at about 8 AM. At around 4 PM, when there was still no package, I phoned her back. Hello, this is your tracking service, if you have your tracking number, etc. I said my tracking number and I was sent immediately to a human agent. I was told by the agent that the machine was not on deliver. Antony told me that it was not even in Canada. He was correct. Somehow it was not make it onto the truck going to Canada but went back to Syracuse, N.Y. (you can see the web site to have more info on that). The next day I was on the phone bright and early to make sure it was re-directed to me.
The day after – Friday - I was called by Manon from dispatch. The driver could not be contacted by radio, because he was in a dead zone. She could not confirm, with all the computers and equipment that is used to track all these parcels, weather my parcel was on the truck, but she was able to tell me that the driver would be in Rawdon between 2:30 and 5 p.m. If the package was on the truck, I would know by then %-)
At around two thirty, Suzanne decides to go for a nap. The U.P.S. driver rings the doorbell two minutes later with a White Mountain box in hand. The driver comes in and says in a loud voice, my office called me, I thought we were late delivering a mothers day present, or something like that!!! I told him everything was o.k. and hoped Suzanne heard nothing... (I later found out that she had heard enough to know that something fishy was going on). So I took the box into the laundry room, and placed it right next to the refrigerator/freezer. Once the dust had settled I went and opened the box and to my surprise…!!! found a hand crank ice cream maker. Do you believe it.

Rival Makes Up for Mistake.

Back on the phone to Rival. I offered to pack up the crank and exchange it with the U.P.S. driver when he derived the motor. Dianna told me to forget the crank, she would send me a motor, no charge, no exchange necessary. So that was it. Everything was taken care of. No more problems. I’ll get my motor in 5 or 6 days… End of that part of the story, now back to spumoni making… Oh yes! and keeping the secret part II. Suzanne and I went out for breakfast the next morning. I find it impossible to lie (what a fool) so as we walked to the restaurant, which is our norm, we discussed the fact that I was harbinger a secret. I told her that I was in fact keeping a secret from her, and that it was really no more fun. I told her that I wanted to tell her about the secret unless she wanted to keep it a secret, her decision. 20 minutes to breakfast, 45 minutes at breakfast, 10 to 12 minutes walking back, I told her… She didn’t freak out! I was amazed and pleased.

Making Ice Cream or Practicing for Spumoni.

The first two batches of ice cream were made by hand. Really not as bad as I thought. If you are a reasonably healthy adult, or a young person from 10 to whatever, you could probably do it yourself, if you have any kind of focus at all. Most people would find it very easy. A young kid may want to stop after ten minutes so you might want to take turns. It only takes about a half an hour, once you have everything – all your ingredients – assembled.

To be continued...

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to dhampir Send a message via MSN to dhampir Send a message via Yahoo to dhampir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
I hope I am spelling this right; does anyone here, know how to make spumoni (bit if a silly question, as I'm sure there are dozens of members that do - well at least six)

Thanks and take care...
What is it??
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
It’s amazing, when you start shelling pistachio nuts, that it seems you end up with more shells than nut meat…
You can get unsalted shelled pistachios at Nuts Online

Another spumoni-lover looking forward to final results,
Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT
You can get unsalted shelled pistachios at Nuts Online

Another spumoni-lover looking forward to final results,
Thanks for that, I just got in touch with them to see if they ship to Canada.

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None