Spumoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, there has been another delay. Anyway here is where I have gotten. I bought all my ingredients for one whole recipe of ice cream and some of the ingredients for another (pistashio, raspberry - will replace cherry) . I probably have much of the ingredients for the third (chocolate)

I decided to start with the raspberry first, so if it doesn't turn out the way I want, It's easier to get more raspberries. As you can see the pistashios were a bit of work.

Now what's the slow up. Well we're remodling the kitchen right now. I'll be able to work on three things at once, once the new counters are in.

Take care and God bless :chef:

Its way better with chocolate, pistachio, and strawberry instead of chocolate, pistachio, and vanilla.

Banana Brain said:
Its way better with chocolate, pistachio, and strawberry instead of chocolate, pistachio, and vanilla.

Hi Banana Brian. I'm doing it with chocolate, pistachio and raspberry. I would really like it to be cherry, but I think raspberry will be alright. :chef:

Ok, part one of three is done, well it’s in the freezer. I really don’t know much about ice cream making. I first created the recipe based on other recipes I had looked at, but with my signature on them, then put them together. There will probably be one ingredient that most of you will not know, in the recipe – stevia – fell free to ask about it, if you wish.

Since I don’t really know about ice cream making, I wasn’t sure if the ice cream came out properly from the hand cranked machine. Maybe some of you could let me know what the ice cream should look like when it comes out of the machine. Mine came out, after 20 minutes, looking still a bit soft. It was not liquidy but it was soft.

I kept it in the machine for the twenty minutes they asked for. Do you think it would have been good to keep it a bit longer? I decided to use three eggs, instead of just two, to have more of the French style ice cream.

Anyway, here is the first of the spumoni ice creams:

Raspberry Ice Cream
by
Bri

3 eggs
5ml stevia (for those who wish to use sugar it would be 1 cup)
650ml half & half
350ml frozen raspberries, thawed, whole

I beat the eggs and milk together in a saucepan and added the stevia – sweetener – and cooked on low heat for around 15 minutes or so; “until it smoothly coats the spoon” according to the instruction booklet that came with the machine. Then I cooled for two or three hours and put in the fridge overnight. The next step was to take the raspberries out of the freezer and thaw them. I thawed them on the counter for a few hours, then add them to the rest of the ingredients, then, into the ice cream maker.

I feel I must add that I put the liquid ingredients into my food processor, with the whipping attachment and processed it on 6 (medium low) for one or two minutes. I really didn’t count the time as it was done more by eye. I just wanted to pump a little are into the ingredients, without really fluffing them up too much.

That’s it for step one.

Have fun in the kithen… :chef:

Last edited:
Oops! Almost forgot, a couple tablespoons (30mls or so) of zest from an orange, not chopped... :chef:

My grandma used to get it for me...seems like it was all kinds of wonderful colors.

Geez, I'm gettin' old. Guess it beats the alternatikve.

ice-cream.gif

The Raspberry would have been a total disaster, if I hadn't learned so much about ice cream making. Some here on DC and some elsewhere.

One site I visited had an opinion about the very machine I own which is the “Donvier” ice cream maker. He explained to me most of the problems I was having with my machine, and gave some advice on how to correct for it He said this:

“Donvier. A hand cranked, freezer bucket variety. The plastic is a bit cheap (i.e., it's easy to break if you apply too much force). The two tricks to using this machine are

1. put the rubber ring on the bucket before you put it in the freezer
  2. in the begining, crank every minute, and then easy off to 2 or 3 minutes later. This avoids the problem of having the mix freeze too much in the beginning when the bucket is colder, and having to apply so much force to turn the crank that you risk breaking the plastic.”

You can see the rest of the article at this address:

Then I went to DC Frozen chates, just around the corner where Andy_M gave some very good advice.

The story doesn't end here, it just gets thicker. I'm running out of time and energy right now. There's a family to feed. I will post the rest when I have a chance today or tomorrow...

Take care

Last edited:
When are we Having Spumoni
by
Brian Morin

Please don’t kick me off ( :bash: ) of the frozen desert section yet, as it will seem that the subject has changed. I guarantee you it has not, although it might seem to have. So while I was embarked on my mission of spumoni fame, I was also on a quest to find a new bread machine. One of my friends told me, while we were working on my new kitchen cabinets – one of them is on wheels - that he had seen a used bread machine at a nearly new shop called « Le Grenier du ma Grand Méré » which means, my grandmothers attic. I went over, about a week later, to see if it was still there. Alas it was. I immediately bargained for it, and bought it for 40 bucks cash! Good deal? Not a good deal! Satya and I brought it to our friends house – very close friends that we have known for a while – and asked if they would like me to make a bread at there house. They said yes. I begged all the ingredients, flour, salt, sugar, milk, water, yeast, etc. and stuffed it all in the machine, in the order listed, of course. Twenty minutes or so later it started to whirl. My friends, who were originally from Bulgaria and still made there bread the same way there grandmothers in Bulgaria made bread, were quite taken by this new contraption and wanted to take a peek at it, while in action. So we all glanced at each other with bemused expressions and without a word all bounded for the bread machine, at once.

I didn't believe it and yet I did, It wasn’t working. At first I thought the flour was stuck or something but no, that wasn't it, it wasn’t working. We looked at it for a while, and figured out that the shaft that went to the kneading paddle had somehow become detached. Well I had asked for a receipt form the woman who had sold it to me in the first place and she checked to make sure that I had actually asked for a receipt, “you want a receipt” was her mantra. Not the first time she had asked it like that I am sure. It was if she was saying, “why do you need a receipt”. I had little doubt that I was doing the right thing, as my intuition is usually pretty good, so I had no problem taking it back, when it failed.

Back at home a few days later, still looking for a better bread machine, I went to the… web. I searched and searched for the brand and model I was looking for, but came up blank. Then all of a sudden I came across the “Cuisinart CBK-200 Breadmaker”, a great looking little machine, not pretty, but functional; very functional looking. While I was on there site, I decided to go over and take a look at there Ice Cream Makers since I’d been having so much frustration with mine. I didn’t like the look of it, another cylinder type ice cream maker. However, somehow, and I don’t know how, I ended up on the page that I posted on the last posting I made on this thread. I don’t know if any of you took the time to check that page out, but at the bottom of the page was a comment on the “White Mountain Ice Cream Maker” and the fact that it had been bought out by “Rival”. Lord forbid, the link to the website, even a telephone number.

I went over to the website to look around. I couldn't seem to find the price of the machine I was looking at, on the web page, so I used the phone number to call customer service. Oh boy! This was either a very good move or a very bad move. While I was on the phone, just trying to find out the price, the sales lady, very sweet and kind, gave me a 30% buy now offer!!! 30%! How could I say no? Of course I told her that I should speak to my wife before I buy it or she (my wife) would own my soul. She told me, in a very calm voice, that “she already owns your soul.” I agreed with a sigh. But no way would she extend the offer… I couldn’t believe myself, when I said, albeit with a long hesitation, I guess you’ll need my credit card number...

I should have a new “White Mountain” in about three or four weeks. That’s the good news. The bad news is, unless my wife is looking over my shoulder, right now, she still doesn’t know I’ve bought it. My game plan is to get the machine, make spumoni, then tell her I bought it, after she has had her fill…

Any better ideas???

Keep on making ice cream… :chef:

Essie said:
I haven't thought about spumoni ice cream in a long time. Now, I will have to visit my local Italian store and get some. It is really my favorite ice cream!!!!

Thanks, I think.:D

Do you have any ideas about recipes for this treat?

Constance said:
Guess it beats the alternatikve.

Ok I won't talk about the old thing, 'cause we're all heading there, but what does alternatikve mean? No don't tell me, it is either German or a typo? Which one? Polish? :rolleyes:

Sorry for being off topic, I haven't seen any of your posts in the off topic yet.

:lucky:

GladYouLikeItBri.gif Click image for animated version.

liketobake said:
Nice picture Brianmorin did you design it yourself?

Glad you like the pic... No problem with the off topic stuff.

For some reason, I don't know why, the one I posted here only works when you click on it?

Last edited:
Well, there is more to cooking, baking and food prep. than hopping around the kitchen. You also have to look around for equipment. You can use your bare hands for absolutely everything, I don’t think? At any rate I can’t. So if my theory is correct, even though there has been 10 of thousands of years of anecdotal corroboration, I must still qualify my statement, I had to by an ice cream machine! After the machine is ordered, as there is absolutely no one in Rawdon that would carry an ice cream machine on there shelves, you wait. It was very funny, because I was told that the unit would not ship out for two weeks from the time I ordered it, but never the less I decided, not more that two working days, four days after I had ordered it, to check on it’s progress. Something told me that that was a good thing to do. So I called Rival. I figured I would check out the efficiency of there system. Rival told me that the parcel had already gone and gave me a tracking number. I was quite surprised and thought that this may bring my secret to an end if they delivered it on Tuesday. I called U.P.S., not knowing I could go to there web site. I got to an agent in a short period of time, maybe 5 minutes and possibly less. Gave them my tracking information. I was told that the parcel would be delivered Wednesday. I was in luck, Suzanne was in Montréal all day on Wednesday. I call this, affectionately, my day off. 

I Can Keeping a Secret but can’t tell a lie.

I can’t lie, but I can keep a secret to a certain point. It is the honest politician way. You don’t lie, you just don’t tell everything, plus you answer questions as vaguely as possible. Of course I don’t hold the outcome of the world in my hands, plus I will eventually tell the truth. (Suzanne is getting a copy of this report. I digress. Back to the story.

Wednesday morning bright and early, I call U.P.S. There friendly (tongue in cheek) computer. Not that she – sorry ladies but it had a woman’s voice – was unfriendly sounding but she was a bit mechanical. She/It told me that my White Mountain was on delivery. Hooray! Says I… That was at about 8 AM. At around 4 PM, when there was still no package, I phoned her back. Hello, this is your tracking service, if you have your tracking number, etc. I said my tracking number and I was sent immediately to a human agent. I was told by the agent that the machine was not on deliver. Antony told me that it was not even in Canada. He was correct. Somehow it was not make it onto the truck going to Canada but went back to Syracuse, N.Y. (you can see the web site to have more info on that). The next day I was on the phone bright and early to make sure it was re-directed to me.
The day after – Friday - I was called by Manon from dispatch. The driver could not be contacted by radio, because he was in a dead zone. She could not confirm, with all the computers and equipment that is used to track all these parcels, weather my parcel was on the truck, but she was able to tell me that the driver would be in Rawdon between 2:30 and 5 p.m. If the package was on the truck, I would know by then %-)
At around two thirty, Suzanne decides to go for a nap. The U.P.S. driver rings the doorbell two minutes later with a White Mountain box in hand. The driver comes in and says in a loud voice, my office called me, I thought we were late delivering a mothers day present, or something like that!!! I told him everything was o.k. and hoped Suzanne heard nothing... (I later found out that she had heard enough to know that something fishy was going on). So I took the box into the laundry room, and placed it right next to the refrigerator/freezer. Once the dust had settled I went and opened the box and to my surprise…!!! found a hand crank ice cream maker. Do you believe it.

Rival Makes Up for Mistake.

Back on the phone to Rival. I offered to pack up the crank and exchange it with the U.P.S. driver when he derived the motor. Dianna told me to forget the crank, she would send me a motor, no charge, no exchange necessary. So that was it. Everything was taken care of. No more problems. I’ll get my motor in 5 or 6 days… End of that part of the story, now back to spumoni making… Oh yes! and keeping the secret part II. Suzanne and I went out for breakfast the next morning. I find it impossible to lie (what a fool) so as we walked to the restaurant, which is our norm, we discussed the fact that I was harbinger a secret. I told her that I was in fact keeping a secret from her, and that it was really no more fun. I told her that I wanted to tell her about the secret unless she wanted to keep it a secret, her decision. 20 minutes to breakfast, 45 minutes at breakfast, 10 to 12 minutes walking back, I told her… She didn’t freak out! I was amazed and pleased.

Making Ice Cream or Practicing for Spumoni.

The first two batches of ice cream were made by hand. Really not as bad as I thought. If you are a reasonably healthy adult, or a young person from 10 to whatever, you could probably do it yourself, if you have any kind of focus at all. Most people would find it very easy. A young kid may want to stop after ten minutes so you might want to take turns. It only takes about a half an hour, once you have everything – all your ingredients – assembled.

To be continued...

BrianMorin said:
I hope I am spelling this right; does anyone here, know how to make spumoni (bit if a silly question, as I'm sure there are dozens of members that do - well at least six)

Thanks and take care... :chef:
:ermm: What is it??

BrianMorin said:
It’s amazing, when you start shelling pistachio nuts, that it seems you end up with more shells than nut meat…

You can get unsalted shelled pistachios at Nuts Online

Another spumoni-lover looking forward to final results,:)

Back
Top Bottom