The perfect CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flavio

Assistant Cook
I've been trying several chocolate mousse recipes with good results but far from perfect.

My first attempt was this famous recipe by the lovely and talented Nigella Lawson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL62X17VwIs

Basically she uses mini marshmallows instead of eggs.

My verdict? I loved the consistency of the melted marshmallows but the final result was far too sweet for me. I tried again, added schnaps, lemon juice and a pinch of salt but it was still too sweet!

I tried another recipe, this time with eggs and using my Thermomix TM31:

vorwerk-thermomix-tm31_1391165702.jpg

The Thermomix is wonderful because you can control the temperature with surgical precision. It worked better than Nigella's recipe but it was not perfect:

a) The flavour was much better but still a bit too sweet, I think I'll use bitter chocolate instead.

b) And the big problem: the consistency was great but there were some chocolate lumps or chunks. I'm sure these were not cooked yolks because the temperature was exactly 90ºC and I added butter first. I'm guessing that I didn't fold the battered whites and the chocolate properly, is this correct?

And another question: should I add schnaps or rum before or after the egg yolks?

Thanks in advance guys!

Back
Top Bottom