"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
From Wikipedia, "Crème fraîche ... is a soured cream containing 30–45% butterfat and having a pH of around 4.5.[1] It is soured with bacterial culture, but is less sour than U.S.-style sour cream, and has a lower viscosity and a higher fat content. European labeling regulation disallows any ingredients other than cream and bacterial culture."

Old 06-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

Sounds amazingly good.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I meant did it turn into crème fraiche?
I don't think it had time to turn into crème fraiche
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think it had time to turn into crème fraiche
Yeah, especially in the fridge.

Actually, I'm not clear on whether it was 2 cups of cream or 2 cups of hot chocolate that got thick in the fridge.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, especially in the fridge.

Actually, I'm not clear on whether it was 2 cups of cream or 2 cups of hot chocolate that got thick in the fridge.
The leftover hot chocolate was refrigerated and thickened to a pudding-like consistency. Now that I think about it, wouldn't heating the cream kill the bacteria needed to turn it into crème fraiche?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Was not sure where to put this, so admin, please move to more appropriate place, please.

You know when you make something and you not only achieve what you wanted, but something special, something even better, something you did not expect.
I had some heavy cream the other day, actually a lot of heavy cream. That doesn’t happen very often, as Kosher heavy cream in MN is hard to come by. I’ve been wanting for a while to make hot chocolate, not hot cocoa, but real European thick hot chocolate. I used this recipe as the base:

Hot Chocolate Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I knew it was not going to be heavy enough so I swapped the amounts of milk and heavy cream, I was too lazy to shred the chocolate so I used small chocolate chips, they were the half size of the regular ones. I used at least 12 ounces, maybe even drop more. Otherwise I fallowed the recipe. In the end it was very good (a generous splash of cognac did not hurt), but was not as thick as I would have wanted. Next time I will use cream only. Never the less DW and kids loved it.
But that is not what I was trying to tell you. There were about two cups leftovers. We left in the fridge, this morning I took one out and was going to warm it up. Before I did I realized that it thickened quite a bit so I decided to taste it. Oh my. It was a consistency of a pudding and it was to die for. Absolutely amazing.

I think I posted this recipe before. It's surprisingly similar to the recipe in the link. All I know is that it was really good. Dissolve a little unflavored gelatin to this and it becomes a luxurious chocolate panna cotta.

The Chief’s Ridiculous Hot Chocolate
This will put 1200 calories or so into your body, and set you back about six dollars, per 10 Z. cup. But once or twice a year, with someone special, it’s well worth it. It’s creamy, deadly rich and flavorful, with intense, but balanced chocolate flavor. Enjoy.
For two Servings:
Ingredients:
1 ½ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 tsp. salt
2 large Lindt 70% cacao dark chocolate bar (I belive the chocolate bars are 14 oz. per bar.
2 large Cadbury Milk Chocolate bar
Fill half of the bottom of a double boiler with water. Place over medium high heat until the water begins to simmer. Reduce heat to medium and place the double boiler on top. Add all but the chocolate to the pan. When the liquid begins steaming lightly, break the chocolate bars into the hot liquid. Stir until the chocolate is completely dissolved and the hot chocolate is silky smooth. Pour into mugs and take a sip. Now settle into your best chair, with your best partner, and enjoy each other. Let that chocolate roll around I your mouth with each sip so as to fully experience the hot beverage.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The leftover hot chocolate was refrigerated and thickened to a pudding-like consistency. Now that I think about it, wouldn't heating the cream kill the bacteria needed to turn it into crème fraiche?
Yes, the heat would kill the bacteria.

I guess it was the chocolate "solidifying" and the cream might be thicker cold as well.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It was real cream from the top of the real milk. My friend goes to farm and cheese factory.
OH! The kind of cream you can use for clotted cream! I am so envious!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Was not sure where to put this, so admin, please move to more appropriate place, please.

You know when you make something and you not only achieve what you wanted, but something special, something even better, something you did not expect.
I had some heavy cream the other day, actually a lot of heavy cream. That doesn’t happen very often, as Kosher heavy cream in MN is hard to come by. I’ve been wanting for a while to make hot chocolate, not hot cocoa, but real European thick hot chocolate. I used this recipe as the base:

Hot Chocolate Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I knew it was not going to be heavy enough so I swapped the amounts of milk and heavy cream, I was too lazy to shred the chocolate so I used small chocolate chips, they were the half size of the regular ones. I used at least 12 ounces, maybe even drop more. Otherwise I fallowed the recipe. In the end it was very good (a generous splash of cognac did not hurt), but was not as thick as I would have wanted. Next time I will use cream only. Never the less DW and kids loved it.
But that is not what I was trying to tell you. There were about two cups leftovers. We left in the fridge, this morning I took one out and was going to warm it up. Before I did I realized that it thickened quite a bit so I decided to taste it. Oh my. It was a consistency of a pudding and it was to die for. Absolutely amazing.
Your accidental pudding reminds me of a recipe that was all the rage in the 70's for a quick chocolate mousse made in the blender. Don't forget the splash of Cognac or Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Frangelico, etc...

Quick Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Old 06-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
From Wikipedia, "Crème fraîche ... is a soured cream containing 30–45% butterfat and having a pH of around 4.5.[1] It is soured with bacterial culture, but is less sour than U.S.-style sour cream, and has a lower viscosity and a higher fat content. European labeling regulation disallows any ingredients other than cream and bacterial culture."

I've never had creme frache, so I can't compare. It was not sour at all, maybe even a hint if sweetness.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tags
None