Unusual Corn Desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
How many of you love corn on the cob? Wow, I could hear that enthusiastic Yes, all the way here in SSM. How many of you have ever eaten or made fresh corn as a desert? Wait, everything's quiet. Well kids, let the Chief show you how it's done. I give you Corn Off the Cob Ice Cream. And let me just say that this stuff is amazing. Want the recipe? I thought so.

Pay attention, I'm only going to type this once.:ohmy:
Addie, quit throwing things at me. Remember, I live in the snow capital of the United States. Winter will be back. Now pay attention.

Ingredients::ohmy:
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk (set aside a half cup to mix with egg yolks and sugar)
6 large egg yolks, just the yolks
3/4 cup corn syrup
3 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 medium ear of corn, with the husk on to make sure it's fresh

Put the cream and the milk into a saucepan over medium heat. While it's heating, husk, then cut the kernels from the corn. Add the corn to the cream and milk mixture. Let heat until it's about to start simmering. Add the salt and turn heat to its lowest setting.

Combine the yolks and sugar and whisk until smooth. Strain the liquid and corn through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Pout the liquid back into the saucepan, again over medium heat Add the corn syrup and stir it in. Add the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Finally ladle a half cup of the milk and cream base into the egg yolk while stirring. This will temper you egg yolks. Turn the heat down again and whisk the yolk/sugar mixture into the pan. Now, add the butter flavor and stir it in. Keep stirring until the base starts to thicken. Tun off the heat and keep stirring. When the base coats the back of a spoon, and you can run your finger down it without the base dripping, it's thick enough. Now, cool in an ice bath until at least room temperature cold.

Pour this lovely concoction into your ice cream maker and follow the machine's directions for making ice cream. When done, place in a sealed container and put in the freezer for a day. Then enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Farmers have been attempting to make corn ice cream for more than a century, without any success. It tastes... well, not very good, but good luck to you.

Farmers have been attempting to make corn ice cream for more than a century, without any success. It tastes... well, not very good, but good luck to you.

What they unsuccessfully tried for centuries, I accomplished last night. My corn ice cream tastes wonderful. I just tried a little of it this morning.

Last night, I couldn't get it to firm up. It was because I put the base into the ice cream maker too warm. I chilled it overnight in the fridge, and froze the bowl again. I let the ice cream maker run for a half hour this morning. Oh, and I added two more tbs. of sugar to the mix. The result is rich and creamy, and tastes amazingly good. I'm going to share it with our youth Sunday School class at church today, several teenage girls. We had a young man, but he was just visiting with his parents. But anyway, try out the recipe, but remember to add 2 more tbs. of sugar to the recipe. This stuff is as good as the mushroom ice cream that I made last summer with the candy-cap mushrooms.

I'm not saying all of this to brag. I want to share something really good with all of you. Oh, and I'm an engineer, not a farmer, so I might look at things a bit differently, not any better mind you, just a different skill set. I admire all of you farmers who can grow crops so much better than I can.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Corn ice cream is available in Mexico. I haven't tried it.

More than a century of many farm wives? Right.

Farm wives probably, as the men were out working the fields while the wives/moms broke there backs doing other required chores, like taking care of the home.

Though the jobs were different on most farms, men and women both worked very hard. I imagine they were both experts in their own tasks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Farm work is a 24 hour job. Just ask CWS and Farmer John. Remember him saying that come planting and harvest time he is in his tractor more than 15 hours a day. I would love to work on a farm. I still miss it to this day. And when it comes to harvest time, CWS is constantly canning and she is out there in the fields beside her husband bringing in the crop. Yeah, I would say farming is hard work. Feeding the animals is usually left for the wife to do if she is not out in the fields helping there. If you have a farm that raises food along with grazing animals and others that are headed for slaughter, you have your hands full year round.

That recipe for corn ice cream looks great. But I donated my ice cream maker to the church to sell at their Fall Harvest Fair. And between the natural sugar in the corn, the corn syrup and sugar, I am afraid I would only be able to take a very small mouthful. Then run for my glucometer to check my sugar level. :angel:

Farm work is a 24 hour job. Just ask CWS and Farmer John. Remember him saying that come planting and harvest time he is in his tractor more than 15 hours a day. I would love to work on a farm. I still miss it to this day. And when it comes to harvest time, CWS is constantly canning and she is out there in the fields beside her husband bringing in the crop. Yeah, I would say farming is hard work. Feeding the animals is usually left for the wife to do if she is not out in the fields helping there. If you have a farm that raises food along with grazing animals and others that are headed for slaughter, you have your hands full year round.

That recipe for corn ice cream looks great. But I donated my ice cream maker to the church to sell at their Fall Harvest Fair. And between the natural sugar in the corn, the corn syrup and sugar, I am afraid I would only be able to take a very small mouthful. Then run for my glucometer to check my sugar level. :angel:

And that, Addie, is precisely why I took the ice cream I made and gave it to teens at church. The loved the treat, I was able to create a new recipe, and taste the results, like you, just a spoonfull.

The best thing about this task was learning to make the smoothest, creamiest Ice cream ever, at home, in a cheap ice cream maker. All of my ice creams will now be similar in that the base, and the sugars will mostly be the same. The flavors, of course will change.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom