"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams
Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Senior Cook
A flambe tip - useful for feeding non alcohol consuming folks - or allowing teens to carry flaming desserts through dining rooms - soak sugar cubes in the alcohol of your choice, place the cubes strategically on the dessert, then light the cubes. You don't get the full flambe flavor, but you get a pretty darn safe light show.

Nora C
NoraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I believe if you don't flambe it, it's not Bananas Foster, but simply a banana-ice cream dessert.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
Head Chef
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Joesfolk-This recipe is for ice cream; it does not call for flaming, unless I am missing it somewhere.... Please correct me if I am wrong. Saying that, I can see where OP doesn't want the grandbabies to have the alcohol, so substitution shouldn't be a problem here.
Here is a recipe for Bananas Foster although I understand that there are recipes for non-alcoholic Bananas Foster. This recipe came from Allrecipes.com.

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 2 tablespoons banana liqueur

1. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar and cinnamon and heat until bubbly. Peel and quarter the banana. Place banana pieces and lemon juice in skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, basting with syrup.
  2. In a long-handled pan, heat rum and banana liqueur over medium heat until just warm. Ignite the alcohol and pour carefully over the banana slices. Remove the banana pan from the heat and continue to baste the banana slices with their sauce until the flames die down. Serve at once.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Executive Chef
This is my fav, I love it with Van/Icec.
In the middle of a sheet of silver foil, put some stale cake crumbs, bananas sliced length ways, soft brown sugar, unsalted butter and a squeeze of lemon, make a parcel and bake.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Head Chef
I thank everyone for their responses and taking the time to do so.
I think everyone is confused. I did not want The orginal bannana foster.
This recipe came off of the food network and they called it Bannana Foster Ice cream. Not the dessert bannana foster. they called it that as alot of the ingredients is like the orginal. They did not flambe ,it as it wasn't made to it. This was a different take on the orginal. again thanks to all
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Master Chef
Site Moderator
I think rum extract is going to be the closest. I ran a Google search of "Non-alcoholic rum substitute" and got back a bunch of results but none of them seemed to really have an acceptable substitute other than the extract.
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Letscook-I know you weren't looking for a recipe, but here is one I saw on Facebook. At least you can get an idea of how much rum extract to use in place of the actual rum.

Bananas Foster Sundaes Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote

banana, cream