Want a kid version/Bananas Foster ice cream??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, if you want to flambe it (traditional) you have to have alcohol. You can buy syrups (meant to go in coffee) of different flavors, but I don't think anything but booze will flame.

Saw that recipe on the Neeley's show this a.m. I thought of this thread, too. Their recipe is for ice cream and doesn't call for flambe, but I imagine you could cook the alcohol out of the rum sauce by simmering. But if it were me, I would use either rum extract or even vanilla or almond in the ice cream and the sauce. I bet your kids would love it! (I think most kids would prefer vanilla or almond to a rum flavor anyway.)

Not sure what measurements to use when replacing the original amounts of rum called for in the recipe.

I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Last edited:
I don't want the kids getting alcohol either but it seems to me that after it is flamed there is really not enough alcohol left to worry much about. I mean the amount of alcohol in the recipe is divided by the amount of servings and as I said most of it cooks off. No one is going to get enough to cause a problem. Maybe just be sure the parents know what is going on. (And please don't anyone hit me over the head for this, it's just my personal opinion.)

Joesfolk-This recipe is for ice cream; it does not call for flaming, unless I am missing it somewhere.... Please correct me if I am wrong. Saying that, I can see where OP doesn't want the grandbabies to have the alcohol, so substitution shouldn't be a problem here.

I believe so, but wouldn't you use just a small amount, making the amount of alcohol negligible?

I use brandy when I make them. Not sure there is an extract for that. Remember Graham Kerr as the Galloping Gourmet? He made something called Bananas Molinbimbi (sp). Whole point of his recipe was to get sloshed from eating dessert:ohmy:.

Craig

I use brandy when I make them. Not sure there is an extract for that. Remember Graham Kerr as the Galloping Gourmet? He made something called Bananas Molinbimbi (sp). Whole point of his recipe was to get sloshed from eating dessert:ohmy:.

Craig

Yes, I remember ole GG!!

A flambe tip - useful for feeding non alcohol consuming folks - or allowing teens to carry flaming desserts through dining rooms - soak sugar cubes in the alcohol of your choice, place the cubes strategically on the dessert, then light the cubes. You don't get the full flambe flavor, but you get a pretty darn safe light show.

I believe if you don't flambe it, it's not Bananas Foster, but simply a banana-ice cream dessert.

Joesfolk-This recipe is for ice cream; it does not call for flaming, unless I am missing it somewhere.... Please correct me if I am wrong. Saying that, I can see where OP doesn't want the grandbabies to have the alcohol, so substitution shouldn't be a problem here.

Here is a recipe for Bananas Foster although I understand that there are recipes for non-alcoholic Bananas Foster. This recipe came from Allrecipes.com.

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 2 tablespoons banana liqueur

Directions

1. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar and cinnamon and heat until bubbly. Peel and quarter the banana. Place banana pieces and lemon juice in skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, basting with syrup.
  2. In a long-handled pan, heat rum and banana liqueur over medium heat until just warm. Ignite the alcohol and pour carefully over the banana slices. Remove the banana pan from the heat and continue to baste the banana slices with their sauce until the flames die down. Serve at once.

This is my fav, I love it with Van/Icec.
In the middle of a sheet of silver foil, put some stale cake crumbs, bananas sliced length ways, soft brown sugar, unsalted butter and a squeeze of lemon, make a parcel and bake.

I thank everyone for their responses and taking the time to do so.
I think everyone is confused. I did not want The orginal bannana foster.
This recipe came off of the food network and they called it Bannana Foster Ice cream. Not the dessert bannana foster. they called it that as alot of the ingredients is like the orginal. They did not flambe ,it as it wasn't made to it. This was a different take on the orginal. again thanks to all

I think rum extract is going to be the closest. I ran a Google search of "Non-alcoholic rum substitute" and got back a bunch of results but none of them seemed to really have an acceptable substitute other than the extract.

Back
Top Bottom