Weird ice cream flavors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Middie. I have one lying aroound somewhere. I think I even posted it here not too long ago :)

I made basil ice cream as kind of an experiment. It turned out so good that i served it that night. My cooks all enjoyed it after they reluctantly tasted it.

Then there's red bean... one of the Chinese restaurants here has both green tea (delish) and red bean ice cream. I haven't tried it only because their servings are too large for one person and no one wants to share it with me! Peasants!

Chopstix said:
Piccolina, I've never had rose-flavored ice cream but I know I'll like it because I love rose-flavored (parisian-style) macarons.
Ohhh Chopstix, you've just inspired me! I make macarons all the time but never thought to "rose them up". I've got a bottle of rose water in the cupboard and now I will try flavouring them that way next time. Thank-you! :)

I guess weird is relative. I have had folks tell me that kulfi which is an icecream seasoned with cardamom, saffron and assorted nuts is weird to them. To my palate it's simply rich and divine.

How about lychee chopstixs. I love lychee icecream. I would hope people don't find it weird. Also nothing weird about mango or coconut icecream. They are delicious.

I have had a coconut sorbet which was made with coconut water and it was incredibly delicious.

Also I am not sure if you or sizzles have tasted palm fruit. It's not heart of palm but is this mushy white fruit (resembling the palm of your hand) that has a very delicate taste (almost like the coconut cream you eat from a fresh coconut). I have had icecream made of that as well and it was very very good.

Also savory icecreams seem to be in vogue right now. If you look at fancy plating a lot of chefs pair dishes with herb based icecreams.

Yakuta said:
I have had folks tell me that kulfi which is an icecream seasoned with cardamom, saffron and assorted nuts is weird to them. To my palate it's simply rich and divine.
That actually sounds delicious to me!!!

I do not find anything weird about coconut or mango ice cream. Those seem like obvious ice cream flavors. If lychee's were more common around here then I would think the same of them.

There is a fantastic ice cream place near me located in a little strip mall
and it is owned by a family from Egypt (I think). They make some very
exotic ice creams that are so good.

I'd have to say that lavender flavor and rosemary are two of the most
unusual flavors I've ever come across.

Piccolina said:
Ohhh Chopstix, you've just inspired me! I make macarons all the time but never thought to "rose them up". I've got a bottle of rose water in the cupboard and now I will try flavouring them that way next time. Thank-you! :)

Piccolina, the rose-flavored macarons I've had are colored baby pink. First time I tried them was in Paris, where the Laduree shop window was decorated purely with macarons in different pastel colors and flavors, beautifully arranged in pyramids. Now I see the same stuff on display at high-end pattisseries in Manila and Bangkok.

Good luck with your rose macarons!

momerlyn said:
Aany chance you'll come for the bris (Jenn and Chris)? She's almost there!
Possibly, but probably not. Darl's work schedule would make it very difficult right now.

When her schedule does normalize we will have to make plans though. You and I will try that ice cream and we won't share with anyone else :-p

I'm not sure if you've heard of Heston Blumenthal, he's an English chef who works at the Fat Duck in a town called Bray in England. One of the things on his menu is smokey bacon and egg ice cream.

He does snail porridge too if youre interested... :)

Chopstix said:
Piccolina, the rose-flavored macarons I've had are colored baby pink. First time I tried them was in Paris, where the Laduree shop window was decorated purely with macarons in different pastel colors and flavors, beautifully arranged in pyramids. Now I see the same stuff on display at high-end pattisseries in Manila and Bangkok.

Good luck with your rose macarons!
How very gorgeous sounding (all the more reason to try and get to Paris one day! (Or Manilla/Bangkok too.) Thank-you Chopstix I am so glad you gave me this macaron idea :)

my favorite was always Malted Milk Ball, a light chocolate malt iceream with littl emalted milk balls in it. Perfected by Kohr Brothers Ice Cream and Frozen Custard when they were still making hard ice creams. Alas, they have gone to all frozen custards, but still, what fine soft ice cream they make! New Jersey and Delaware with a few franchise outposts elsewhere.

SHAMALICIOUS said:
lol my goodness, they sound incredibly weird!

Anyone tastedthe pistachio ice cream? Its yum.
Hi Shamalicious (great user name), Welcome to DC! (Boy, I bet that Ishbel going to be happy when she sees you on the boards, she's our resident Scottish member :))

Pistachio is so lovely, I like the soft colour that is has. Very nice with chocolate cake or fresh peaches.

Pistacchio flavour is among the most popular in Italy, or at least in Roma. They are sooooo good!! But if you are going to buy this and it is bright green, avoid it, they are made with artificial flavour. The real pistacchio, though some very good ones can get somewhat green, but often brownish. When you make it yourself and do want that green shade, peeling the nuts will help!!

Thank you for the welcome piccolina :D. Oooh good, ill look out for her, i didnt think i could see anyone from scotland, lol

^ You're a lucky person, Rome is a great place for food. I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday in Italy. Got to say, the best i had on that holiday was in Florence (Firenze) though. A very long display cabinet running down the entire length of the shop, just down a sidestreet near that big tall building. Can't remember its name now for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom