Weird ice cream flavors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I spent most of my life in the Philippines. An American friend who lived there a few years once expressed to me how appalling he thought some of the local ice cream flavors were. He never dared taste them (pity) but just the thought of the main ingredients threw him off. We had flavors like:

Purple Yam
Sweet Corn
Mangosteen (A tropical fruit)
Durian (Resembles Jackfruit but has a deadly aroma -- an acquired taste)
Cheese (No specific type on labels but tastes like Cheddar)
Coconut
Mango
Avocado
etc.

We locals never thought them strange and to this day I like most of those flavors, especially Cheese, Purple Yam, Sweet Corn, and Avocado.

These days chefs and diners are more adventurous. I remember having ice cream flavored with black pepper, and another time I had jasmine-flavored ice cream at some fancy restaurant.

What other ice cream flavors do you know of that sound weird to you?

Some of those do sound different, but interesting none the less. I would be willing to try all of them. Cheese sounds the weirdest to me, but I can imagine it being quite good actually. Black pepper, Purple Yam, Sweet Corn, and Avocado actually all sound very tasty to me and if I were somewhere that they were available I would love to try them.

I remember seeing tomato ice cream once. There were some other very odd flavors, but I can't recall what they were anymore.

don't have any,but I wanted to see the list tomatoe ice cream,phewy!
I do not think I would like that... coconut maybe be ok...

GB, Cheese-flavored ice cream (we call it Quezo flavor) IS very good. It's my favorite. That and the purple yam which we call Ube (pronounced Oooobeh). Hmm ... Tomato ice cream huh? Now THAT sounds weird to me :)

Another favorite is Green Tea ice cream. Yum.

I had an onion milk shake one time... I won't be having an onion milk shake again.

We do make Mango and Coconut flavoured ice cream fairly regularly, they are delicious!! Well, depending on what sort of cheese flavour, but we also make ricotta ice cream (which is just like sicilian cannolli filling), also have used mascarpone for some ingredients.... they are also delicious!

The only one on that list that sounds weird is the cheese flavor, being that it was cheddar-like. Everything else on there has a sweet property to it so it's not a suprise that it was made into a ice cream.

Gilroy in Northern Cali has a shop that makes the best Garlic ice cream. Every year they have a garlic festival too with dozens of different dishes all made a predominant garlic flavor. One of the best that I remember was Grilled Baby Artichokes (there are artichoke farms south of Gilroy near Monterey) with a Lemon and Roasted Garlic Aioli.

Ironchef, I think garlic ice cream is far weirder than cheese ice cream, being that garlic has no sweet property at all (to your point) and with other indescribable properties that assault the senses :) Cold, creamy, sweet garlicky taste? Ew. But ok, I'll try it anyway since you think its good.

Chopstix said:
Ironchef, I think garlic ice cream is far weirder than cheese ice cream, being that garlic has no sweet property at all (to your point) and with other indescribable properties that assault the senses :) Cold, creamy, sweet garlicky taste? Ew. But ok, I'll try it anyway since you think its good.

Roasted garlic is sweet. That's closer to what the ice cream tastes like that raw garlic.

Hi Daisy,

Would you mind sharing your Green Tea and Lemongrass ice cream recipes? Thank you!

daisy said:
A pleasure!

Green Tea Ice Cream
2 cups thickened cream
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons green tea leaves, ground to a powder

Bring cream, milk, and salt to the boil in a saucepan and remove from heat. Whisk together eggs, sugar, and tea (tea will not be completely dissolved), then add 1 cup hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking vigorously. Whisk custard into remaining cream mixture in saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat back of spoon (do not let boil). Immediately pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl, then cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Chill, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour. Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

Lemongrass Ice Cream
3 cups milk
4 stalks chopped lemongrass, white part only
250g sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
3/4 cup egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream

In a saucepan, simmer milk with lemongrass and reduce by one-third. Steep several hours or overnight. Strain out lemongrass and heat with sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to scalding. Whisk the yolks. Temper the yolks by adding only a ladle of hot milk to the yolks. Mix well then add tempered yolks back to the saucepan. Whisk constantly over medium heat for 2 minutes. Strain and cool in an ice bath. When mixture is cooled add cream. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. If desired serve with chopped pineapple mixed with chopped mint leaves, and coconut macaroons.

Gorgeousness! I am copying those too, thank-you Daisy!

One of my very favourite ice cream flavours is, rose petal. I know that this isn't for everyone (some people tend to associate the taste of roses with soap or perfume) but I just adore it.

In Ireland I've heard tell of (I haven't see or tried it) Guinness ice cream - that might be interesting. Bailey's flavour is popular here too (I think B&J make a version of it?)

Yeah Piccolina I have seen a recipe for Guinness ice cream. It actually sounds like a great choice for ice cream to me. Guinness is very creamy and has a sweetness to it that would lend itself perfectly to a frozen treat IMO.

Piccolina, I've never had rose-flavored ice cream but I know I'll like it because I love rose-flavored (parisian-style) macarons.

mango and coconut ice cream sounds good to me.
lemongrass might be interesting.
gb i think i have a recipe for guiness ice cream if you'd
like it

Back
Top Bottom