"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What did I do wrong?!

Hello everyone,
I have an ice-cream problem that I was hoping someone can help me with.
Iíve been using a Cuisinart 2-litre ice-cream maker to make some lovely ice-cream using a recipe I developed myself.
The main ingredients are 350 ml half fat milk (because thatís what we use in the house), 750 ml double cream, 200g sugar and 8 egg yolks Ė all chosen to minimise water and maximise a nice soft finished product.

Once the cooked mixture is ready I add 200g of Nutella. Itís a fantastic ice-cream, however I made a change to the recipe and canít work out what went wrong.

A couple of days ago I used 200g of melted dark chocolate instead of Nutella, and the result was ice-cream that was utterly delicious, but so hard that I almost needed a pickaxe to serve it.

Now itís easy to say that the change to using chocolate might have made the difference (although I donít see why it should), but hereís the confusing bit. When Iíd finished making the ice-cream I put it into a tub and into the freezer.I then noticed that Iíd left the churning/mixing attachment in a bowl on the worktop. Usually I spoon all the ice-cream mixture which is stuck on the attachment into the tub too.
On this occasion I just put it all into a separate small plastic tub Ė only about 5 by 4 inches in size and filled about an inch deep with the mixture. The ice-cream in this small tub wasnít at all hard Ė in fact it was as soft and well textured as the ice-cream I previously made using Nutella.

So what did I do wrong? How can the ice cream in the large tub have come out like concrete and yet the contents of the small tub were perfect?

Any ideas on this puzzle much appreciated because itís driving me mad!

Many thanks.

Kyri.

Tags
other