What did I do wrong?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kvoskou

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I have an ice-cream problem that I was hoping someone can help me with.
I’ve been using a Cuisinart 2-litre ice-cream maker to make some lovely ice-cream using a recipe I developed myself.
The main ingredients are 350 ml half fat milk (because that’s what we use in the house), 750 ml double cream, 200g sugar and 8 egg yolks – all chosen to minimise water and maximise a nice soft finished product.

Once the cooked mixture is ready I add 200g of Nutella. It’s a fantastic ice-cream, however I made a change to the recipe and can’t work out what went wrong.

A couple of days ago I used 200g of melted dark chocolate instead of Nutella, and the result was ice-cream that was utterly delicious, but so hard that I almost needed a pickaxe to serve it.

Now it’s easy to say that the change to using chocolate might have made the difference (although I don’t see why it should), but here’s the confusing bit. When I’d finished making the ice-cream I put it into a tub and into the freezer. I then noticed that I’d left the churning/mixing attachment in a bowl on the worktop. Usually I spoon all the ice-cream mixture which is stuck on the attachment into the tub too.
On this occasion I just put it all into a separate small plastic tub – only about 5 by 4 inches in size and filled about an inch deep with the mixture. The ice-cream in this small tub wasn’t at all hard – in fact it was as soft and well textured as the ice-cream I previously made using Nutella.

So what did I do wrong? How can the ice cream in the large tub have come out like concrete and yet the contents of the small tub were perfect?

Any ideas on this puzzle much appreciated because it’s driving me mad!

Many thanks.

Kyri.

Back
Top Bottom