2 Beef Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
1. I am looking for a cut from the forequarter (so it is kosher) that will produce uniform slices (Preferably rectangular but round would do in a pinch.) Any suggestions?
2. What temperature would you cook the suggested cut to, and how would you hold it at that temperature for about an hour?

someone is bound to correct me if I'm way off...Brisket is "rectangular" and often used for kosher cooking...as it is a low slow braising cut, 300* for several hours, it should fit your needs. And it comes with a depth of flavor and tenderness when braised low and slow.

What cooking method do you pan to use. Slow cooked, braised, stewed dishes call for different cuts from quick cooked dishes like steaks oven roasts, etc.

Just curious, why is shape important?

I want a good presentations so probably a dry cooking method. Shape is important for the a nice presentation when I slice it.

Talk to your butcher/grocer about a Chuck-eye roast....Similar to a rib-eye but not as tender...Comes from the chuck (shoulder)...Can be oven roasted...Important not to over cook however...Slices will be round and somewhat elongated..

Enjoy!

How about a standing rib roast? Cook to 140-145 degrees F for medium.
I would remove the roast from the oven at the end of cooking time. Set it on the counter for 15 minutes or so.
Turn the oven off and leave the door open just a bit.
At the end of 15 minutes put the roast back in the oven, close the door.
This should hold the roast about an hour or so.
Check the temp now and then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom