2 very close versions of Carpathian Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Had a discussion going on the board with someone about this comfort food. I decided to post my versions and maybe she'll post hers too.
Carpathian Cabbage1
1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 sm head cabbage
1 can tomato soup undiluted
1 tablespoon garlic flavored vinegar, or regular vinegar with garlic powder added to it
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
Brown beef in large skillet pan and stir in the chopped onion sauté until tender. Quarter cabbage, chop fine to a shred. Drain fat from beef and stir in tomato soup and rest of ingredients except cabbage. Stir well, now add the cabbage and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. This goes nicely over steamed brown or white rice or buttered noodles.

Carpathian Cabbage 2
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
½ cup chopped onion
1 small head of cabbage, coarsely
shredded
1 can tomato soup
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Brown meat in bacon drippings, breaking up meat as it cooks; push to one side of pan. Stir in onion and sauté till soft. Stir in cabbage along with soup, vinegar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; cover and simmer 25 minutes. 4-6 servings.

This sounds like my kinda meal, love cabbage, Thanks for sharing Lefse !
Think I would like this over mashed potatoes, yum !

Last edited:
Katie's Carpathian Cabbage TNT

I've had this recipe since 1968 when it was given to me by a Russian friend. It is nearly identical to one of LEFSE's recipes.

CARPATHIAN CABBAGE
(Serves 4 to 6)​
1 lb. lean ground beef (90/10)
2 Tbsp. bacon drippings
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small head cabbage
1 (10¾-oz.) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Trim, quarter and core cabbage. Shred coarsely and set aside.

In a large skillet, brown beef. Push to one side of skillet after meat is done browning. Stir in onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Stir in prepared cabbage and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.

Sounds really good!
Reminds me of a soup recipe I made once, loved and promptly lost.

Will be trying this soon.

So happy to see Katie printed hers out too. Was curious what hers was and do see, it is almost same as mine.
I think my sister gave it to me way before I was even married. If you don't care for cabbage, this might not interest you. In our family though, it's so good in so many different ways and even the children liked this over the years growing up. This dish is so good and heartwarming. The flavors aren't overpowering at all. It's really a very mild meal. Compared to todays standards anyway.
Over buttered rice or buttered noodles or as Barb L added, it'd be wonderful over a really good batch of mashed potatoes.
I trurly hope some of you will make this on a really cold night. The smell while it cooks away on the stove is enough to prompt a quick run to the table. NYTimes bread would be good to sop it up with too.
With or without the garlic flavor in there, I really don't think it makes a difference.

lol lefse. i was joking.

i wish i had a vampire smiley.
the carpathian mountains of eastern slovakia and romania are where vlad tepesch, or dracula, was from.

not surprisingly my wife's relatives also are from there. :cool:

Last edited:
So would you say this is mostly the flavor of stuffed cabbage, just not stufffed?
Stuffed cabbage is yummy!!

Yup, it is very close to stuffed cabbage.... at least the CC we made
last night was! Also very close to what I remember the taste of
grandma's hamburger "goulash". YAYYYYYY, because I have been looking
for that "taste" for a long long time. :) :)

lol lefse. i was joking.

i wish i had a vampire smiley.
the carpathian mountains of eastern slovakia and romania are where vlad tepesch, or dracula, was from.

not surprisingly my wife's relatives also are from there. :cool:
oh gosh, no biggie buckster. I think I was poisoned:sick: by it not long ago. < no really.:blink:
my mil had garlic oil and onion oil in her pantry I remember. we used that in this dish. since, and not long ago, I found Durkee garlic extract and onion extract. I bought them both, not being able to resist. haven't used them, but maybe some day will.
so your wife's of vampire descent then?:ROFLMAO:
So would you say this is mostly the flavor of stuffed cabbage, just not stufffed?
Stuffed cabbage is yummy!!
never thought of it that way and my vote would be no, not really, cause the cabbage just sort of disappears into the background. All I can say is very comforting food. Great flavor without a lot of fussiness.
Long ago in one of the really old BH&G cookbooks there was a recipe for Italian style spaghetti made of all things with cream of mushroom soup and I think even a tad of soy sauce or was it Worchestershire sauce, I get those two confused, anyway, it was so easy, so basic and so good, sort of like an old version of Bolognese in flavor. Anyway, some times the best recipes are the ones with the least amount of trouble for the best results. I'll have to look for that in one of my four old BH&G cookbooks. If anyone finds it first, feel free to let me know again what's in it.

Carpathian Cabbage

A Hit! Thank you LEFSEover and Katie E. I melded your recipes this week for daughter and her family. When she goes back for a big second helping you know you have something, and she did and we do! She said, "that's something I could eat alot of!" and she did.

Thanks for a big winner.:chef:

guy what a terrific thing, I am so pleased that it was well received.
I love this dish, always have, always will. it's too easy some would say, too simple, but for me/us, I find it to be comfort, pure comfort.

all I can say is YEAH!!!!!!!

I'd forgotten how good this was.
it's what's for dinner tonight
rain sleet even snow = a blazing fire and heartwarming dinner.
glad I decided against my husbands favorite gyoza's with dipping sauce, they have 6 ingredients in common.

Back
Top Bottom