3 Meat, Chipotle Chili w/ Maseca. Finished w/ Crema and Queso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
TATTRAT 3 Meat Chipotle Chili w/ Maseca & Finished w/ Crema and Shredded Cheese

Rich, hearty, a little smokey, loaded with meat, it will warm you up and make you feel good inside. The masecca is corn flour, it helps tighten things up at the end and gives a very mild corn flavor. For finishing, you can add Cilantro, Green Onion, Chopped Jalapenos, whatever makes you happy.

I left the beans out of this batch, as my ladyfriend doesn't prefer them. You can add beans in the last 30 min of cooking, I would recommend kidney beans, as they are meaty and hold up well.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED!

8075772869_42d3fb3c01_b.jpg

The Veg:
1 large Onion, diced
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
8 Cloves Garlic, minced

The Meat:
1.5lbs of Sirloin, Diced into fork sized chunks. Dry Rubbed and ready to be blackened/bronzed.
1.5lbs of 80/20 Ground Beef
HALF Lb of Smoked Sausage, your call, whatever you prefer

The Wet Goods:
1 Box Low Sodium Beef Stock
2 Cans, Diced Tomatoes
1 LG Jar of Prepared Salsa, I like the Chipotle Salsa from Safeway because I get my groceries delivered, and that's what I ordered on a whim. It was good.

The DRY Goods:
Smoked Paprika
Granulated Garlic
Paprika
Dark Chili Powder
Light Chili powder
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

OFF WE GO!

I Try to prepare the steak in advance, and give it a few hours to marinate in a dry rub of all of the above dry mix spices. Above, you can see how it should look, it is next to the ground beef.

Get 2 pans going, one saute for the steak, and later the veg, and one Stockpot/Soup pot for the ground beef, and the rest of the goods.

Heat the saute pan over high heat, wait for it to smoke, and go in with your steak. You are looking for a nice bronzed color, you want flavor, not burnt and bitter.

8075776640_657e9dc573_b.jpg

In the OTHER pan, you get the ground beef browning, and the sausage going. Let that stuff come down, and you are going to drain about 90% of the liquid/fat it renders.

8075786283_962187f33c_b.jpg

Once the Steak is to a color of your liking, remember more color = more flavor, add it into the DRAINED ground beef and sausage. That is all the meats in the pot.

8075784911_85c2b4be77_b.jpg

Continue to let all of this cook down, and develop some color.

8075783309_2338d3cb5c_b.jpg

While this is going on, in the SAME PAN you did the steak in, add in the diced onion, and diced peppers. You want to sweat these down a bit, and they will start to pick up some color from the left over fond from the steak you cooked earlier. Let them mingle with all that, and get nice and happy. ONCE the veg is nicely colored, deglaze the rest of the fond with about half of the beef stock.

8075772624_4789efc615_b.jpg

Let this cook down until the liquid is down about half. At this point, Add it to the meat pot. Also, add in the diced tomatoes, juice and all, the salsa, and about 3/4 of the remaining beef stock. Mix well and add in your dry spices.

8075770164_9120c308cd_b.jpg

8075771514_ee8acc836c_b.jpg

Once everyone is in the pot, go ahead and bring to a boil, then, a simmer. Let 'er rip for about an hour until the steak parts are just fork tender, but still have some bite to them. The liquid should reduce a bit if you leave the lid off a bit.

In a separate bowl, you want to mix the remaining beef stock with the Maseca (corn flour), and leave it as a paste. If it gets too thick, just add some water. take the chili OFF the heat and slowly whisk this into the Chili. It will start to tighten up quickly, so keep an eye on it. It is also going to CONTINUE to thicken as it gets back On the heat, so keep it a little under the consistency of the FINISHED product. Let simmer for another 15-20 min. If it happens to get too thick, hit it with some water, no biggie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part II

The leftover maseca. . .

8075769156_6c5a58597e_b.jpg

The Finished pot of Chili

8075768042_a38793658a_b.jpg

Service:

Your call. . . I kept it simple here, because sometimes less is more. You can add cilantro, green onion, jalapenos, crushed crackers/doritos, wth ever you want. For ours, just did crema and cheese with a side of Flaky Biscuits.

8075778956_ea11d45866_b.jpg

8075767408_d661832af9_b.jpg

If you like Chili, I can assure you this will NOT disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom