73/27 Ground Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I just bought 4 pounds of freshly ground 73/27 beef way dirt cheap. I browned some of it to use in soup, etc and rinsed in a colander with hot water. How can I utilize the rest without ingesting all the fat?

I steam my ground beef in a stove top rice steamer, heating it until all of the fat melts down into the steaming water, leaving ultra lean ground beef behind. I either then refrigerate it until needed (It will last about three days since there's no fat to go bad) or I use it immediately to make made-rites (loose meat mixed with diced, sauteed onions on a hamburger bun. Ketchup and mustard optional.

Prep it the same way you did for the soup. Then, spread it out evenly on a cookie sheet and freeze. Scrape it all into a tightly sealed bag and use it later for pizza topping, taco meat, meat sauce, chili, etc. It is a convenient crumbly ground beef product you can use for anything you can think.

You wrote that you don't want to ingest all that fat. But, I would use some of that meat to make beef breakfast sausage. The fat really adds to the flavour in breakfast sausage.

Back
Top Bottom