A lot of red juice after cooking roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
It was a top round roast or something, not a very excting cut of meat to begin with, about 2.2lbs. I set the thermometer in the roast and that went well informing me it was at 137F. I took it out to let it rest and let the roast cook for another 7 degrees or so. Why did the roast keep draining red juice onto the cutting board?

I have a lousy stove with a faulty thermostat, but still I kept it cooking at 350F for about an hour and 10 minutes.

Would setting the temp real high at the outset have sealed the outside better and keep in the red juices that drained out? That is...setting it super hot at 450F or something for the first 30 minutes or whatever, then reducing the temp? Did doing that keep the red juices in your roast?

Some roasts this isn't a problem as different roasts cook differently. This one bled quite a bit after roasting. I could dry age it maybe, I've been checking into that. That would reduce the moisture content. I noticed the eye round roasts they sell at my supermarket deli are almost black on the outside. Maybe that's how they keep the moisture in.

Last edited:
Searing meat to "seal in the juices" is an old wives' tale that has been debunked a gazillion times. You can find actual test results on it all over the internet from folks like Alton Brown, Kenji Alt @ serious eats, America's Test Kitchen, and many more.
Getting a nice brown crust does a lot for the flavor but does absolutely nothing about sealing anything.

Resting the meat after cooking, for as long as 30 minutes on a large roast, is the way to let the juices re-equalize within the meat. This helps keep them from spilling out on the cutting board. If you get more juice running than you want, return it to the roaster to contribute to a jus.

These same food science geeks have all also come to the conclusion that cooking a large roast low and slow does a better job of cooking the hunk of flesh evenly all the way through to your desired temperature, and retaining juices. Searing after the meat is cooked, via broiler, skillet or blowtorch will give you a flavorful brown crust without further cooking the interior.

From personal experience (and it's been confirmed by these same science-y folks) the best way to retain juice and cook evenly is to cooked the roast sous vide - under vacuum in a temperature controlled water bath. Brown it after for the desired Maillard reaction.

Back
Top Bottom