"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

A question on steak taste...

My mom gave me a 1.24 lb beef sirloin boneless steak.

I pan fried it, seasoned with salt and pepper as I always do, but it didn't taste right to me. It almost had a fishy taste to it!

It was previously frozen in my parents deep freeze. I never freeze steaks. Could that be why there was a taste difference?

Hubby didn't notice, but then again he had it burried in BBQ sauce...

Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Did it smell ok?

What a dumb question. If it didn't smell fine, you wouldn't have cooked it.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Did it smell ok?

What a dumb question. If it didn't smell fine, you wouldn't have cooked it.

Yeah, I think it did. I didn't notice anything odd about it....it was darker in color but that was from being frozen.

I only ate two bites. How depressing. We had pasta, sweet corn, baked potatoes and this wonderful steak...which really sucked!!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quite possibly. Freezing breaks down the cellular structure of meat, especially if it's frozen slowly, as is the case with most home freezing. Once defrosted, meat will spoil more quickly than if it had not been frozen.

Also, was it really fresh when your mom tossed it in the freezer? A lot of people freeze meat that is about to go bad, but that's not usually a good idea.

Finally, was there any freezer burn -- dried out spots on the meat? That could give it a bad taste, too.

OTOH, maybe it just wasn't as good as what you normally buy.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
My mom gave me a 1.24 lb beef sirloin boneless steak.

I pan fried it, seasoned with salt and pepper as I always do, but it didn't taste right to me. It almost had a fishy taste to it!

It was previously frozen in my parents deep freeze. I never freeze steaks. Could that be why there was a taste difference?

Hubby didn't notice, but then again he had it burried in BBQ sauce...
Did it smell like fish before you fried it? I was thinking maybe you used the pan previously for fish and it picked up the taste from that.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

FryBoy -

I don't know when she froze it, but knowing my mom, it was instantly. She freezes EVERYTHING. Growing up we only had butter for "special occasions", holidays and such. Mom would buy butter on sale and freeze it. At Christmas and Easter we always had "real" butter...freezer burnt, but real none the less...

Also, it wasn't as good of a steak as I would normally pick out. I was shocked she even had a steak in her freezer that wasn't venison!

Amber -

I didn't smell it before hand, but I am for sure I never cooked fish in this pan. My "good" pan was in the dishwasher, and that's the only one I've ever cooked fish in.

Thanks for the ideas...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

It is possible that it was freezer burned. There is nothing dangerous about it--it just tastes odd/bad. I think it is the freezing that has made it not good.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

Ok, I hate to say this..... I love my parents dearly....mtrip, but when I got the "hey honey, take this home with you, we will never eat it" line, then I know it has to be at least 2 years old!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
Master Chef

I have to go with Gretchen - sounds like freezer burn to me - that's a sure fire way to make beef taste/smell funky - fishy.

If the meat was still in the original "display counter" packaging (the styrafoam tray with the meat sitting on the little diaper under it and wrapped in the original plastic wrap) - and if it had been frozen for more than a month, and especially if the meat showed signs of "frost" on it .... it was freezer burned.

I've taken a bag of frozen green beans out of the freezer after I had parked them there for a couple of years .... smelled like skunk!

I do know what FryBoy is talking about ... but the rate of freezing is far less significant than the packaging.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
Head Chef

It was in it's original packaging with the styrofoam and diaper (giggle)....

Thanks again guy....

Now to worry about the two pounds of chicken breast in the freezer that she also gave me!!!!

Tags
None