AAA Ribeye. Untrimmed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is an example of what we get in sometimes. This is Certified Angus AAA ribeye. Tripple A(Prime in USA) is typically very marbled but what you don't usually see is how much fat there is in the surrounding caps. As you can see, there is quite a bit of fat. These are photos I took to send to the supplier. After we trim it we had about 40% trim/waste. Normally, I use some trim for our burgers but this one was a bit unacceptable. We went ahead and cut this one for steaks but ended up getting a bit of a credit.
wX2gBdA.jpg

pMFAhkh.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of "marbling"!

DH and I ordered a prime rib at a steakhouse many years ago. We got a slab with a 1.5 inch piece of meat. The rest was all fat. We sent it back and ordered something else.

They're not all like this, thankfully. Occasionally we get one in that has too much fat for us to absorb the loss. Like I said, I use quite a bit of our trim in our burgers, which I grind weekly along with some lean cuts, so we don't throw a whole lot out. We would have to mark the steaks up astronomically if we didn't use the trim. We also have a system where our supplier credits us on a percentage of stuff like this.. When prime is grilled, it loses much more fat than it would if roasted in a big piece.

I hear ya, Steve. We would have a hard time selling a steak with that much on it, so from a marketing stand point, we have to trim..the majority of people prefer something with a little less fat. I tell them they can to to a New York Strip... Some guys, like you, and me, ask for the most marbling we can get. I cut them special and leave more fat on...

Last edited:
I hear ya, Steve. We would have a hard time selling a steak with that much on it, so from a marketing stand point, we have to trim..the majority of people prefer something with a little less fat. I tell them they can to to a New York Strip... Some guys, like you, and me, ask for the most marbling we can get. I cut them special and leave more fat on...

Roch, was all that fat due to a poor job of trimming or was that much fat unusual for a AAA steer?

That is more fat than usual, but it does happen. They usually trim them to the same shape but the lip section typically has more meat running through it. This one has been trimmed poorly IMHO. But, I guess they never really know what is going on inside that part so they cut to the usual specs..When we cut steaks we get to see what is inside. Considering we pay the same price for the fat as the meat, we asked for a credit. As said before, we can't afford to lose that much waste...overall, it could be as high as 35-40 %.

When you cook a lot of cuts like those together on the grill, it adds to the overall flavor of each one.
Like at a 4th of July BBQ where 6 or 7 steaks get set on the grill together at once, flipped a few times.
Yum.

Last edited:
Last night I made a steak tartare using a trimmed ribeye.
I think you literally got the wrong end of the primal cut.

I trim and slice a couple dozen whole rib eyes a week. This one was graded CAB which is AAA or higher. 1 out of 10 cows make the cut. Normally, they are all usable but once in a while we get a doozy like the one I posted. It is an unusual one, which I why I posted it. Some people love the very fatty ones but we have a hard time selling the fatty ones, so we have to trim quite a bit and are left with lots of waste. At 11 bucks a pound, which is a typical wholesale price now for us, the waste can add up to 60 dollars a piece for something like this...That's a little concerning to have to throw in the garbage..

Last edited:
I guess I have a different take. To me, the fat is best tasting part of the meat. I would eat that slab of removed fat without a moment's hesitation. :yum:

My grandfather was like that. Oh, my he would eat the fattest piece of meat. I can't handle fat at all.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom