Am I imagining this when I make slowcooker pot roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
So I put the broth, spices, veggies, and big hunk of chuck in the cooker, let 'er rip for 8 or so hours.

I think I've noticed that even as late as like 7 hours into the cooking, the meat isn't really all that tender. It seems like most of the uberfallaparttender process really happens in like the last hour of cooking.

Is this right? Or am I just hallucinating?

When braising a large piece of meat. It won't reach the falling apart stage until the latter stage of cooking. What happens is that the connective tissue that holds the roast together disintegrates when it reaches a certain temperature. That temp is somewhere in the 190F - 200F. That's when you end up with shred-able meat. Before it falls apart, it will become more tender and sliceable.

When braising a large piece of meat. It won't reach the falling apart stage until the latter stage of cooking. What happens is that the connective tissue that holds the roast together disintegrates when it reaches a certain temperature. That temp is somewhere in the 190F - 200F. That's when you end up with shred-able meat. Before it falls apart, it will become more tender and sliceable.

Good to know - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom