"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like she's a bit prejudiced and won't like any steak outside of "back home".

Old 01-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I prefer my steak seasoned with salt and pepper only....grilled until good and warm all the way through. I reckon that means rare. Hard to get a steak at a restaurant that way.
On the other hand, I can eat steak at most any degree of doneness, barring burnt to a crisp.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds like she's a bit prejudiced and won't like any steak outside of "back home".
That's what I'm thinking as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm guessing that it's the difference between Australian grass-fed beef versus American corn-fed beef.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

My thoughts were running more towards the cut of meat, or even the type of beef.
Perhaps AUS uses a different breed or hybrid of cattle? Or they cut and trim their steaks differently?
I know I've mentioned when Harry posts a pic of his ribeye steaks that they look nothing like the ribeyes I buy. Just from looking at the raw steak I imagined if I went to England and ordered a steak it would be different than what I am used to.

ETA: Exactly. Or even whet they are fed.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Although I like "chicken fried steak" as Addie described, I don't think of it as a "steak", and my guess is that she doesn't either.

In my travels in other parts of the world I've missed the "American Steak House" steak as I describe it. I'm no stranger to cooking perfectly acceptable steaks at home, but I've yet to produce one with the flavor and or technique of a great "American Steak House".

This might give you some ideas..
Great Steak Houses of North America
In addition to what others have said about corn fed beef in this country, a great American Steak House uses Prime grade beef, generally not available to the home cook.

I'd come right out and ask her if she's missing a home cooked steak and how you might prepare it for her. I'm thinking you're a very thoughtful person she should appreciate.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Head Chef

Since you think she is from Louisiana I will tell what the average person here would expect in a steak.

Cut = Ribeye with lots of marbling. (I think its a law that lean steaks are ground into hamburger.)
Seasoning = Cajun spice blend heavy on the black pepper / salt (good meat does not need this but...)
Doneness = Medium well to well done (should be a crime but that is how it is)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
"South" sounds like the keyword. I have been in SC now for over 30 years and I can count on one hand, the people that like their steak rare or medium rare. In fact it would be less than 5 people.
Its puzzling for sure as overcooking a good steak is to ruin a good steak. But this is how most southerners like there steak. Ruined. Over done with a bottle of ketchup.

My brother in law even goes as far as to tell the server to "burn it" when he orders the steak. Not sure if he really means to actually burn it, or just to make sure the whole table knows he wants his well done. Or "done" as they call it.

They think I'm nuts for eating rare beef. My wife will not eat rare meat either, not will anyone I know here.

OP. Don't worry about her steak preferences. She has no clue.

Shame on you,
I find your post rude, judgemental , and insulting.

Josie
Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I have had steak in Australia and have had it over here also. It was common over here during a mad cow scare a few years ago. I find it is leaner beef than some of us like here. It was usually graded as AA or USDA Select. It also tastes a wee bit different. Not a bad thing, I think it is natural considering the food it eats and the climate it is raised in. I think it would be almost impossible to duplicate but, I would hazard to guess that you could probably have it thick cut, season it fairly heavily, and get a good char going on it. I would leave as much fat on it as you can...It can be trimmed off later by the eater....maybe you could brush it with melted, seasoned butter while it cooks to keep it moist, well seasoned and aid in creating flair ups which will help char it better. Actually, this practice is good for anybody cooking steak.

I have never eaten steak in Louisiana but sounds like up here. I can't believe how many people like the bejezus cooked out of their meat... May as well just buy a slab of round steak and have at 'er....

But, like I said, one isn't better than the other, just different....
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm thinking Cajun seasoning too. The steak would not necessarily need to be blackened, maybe just use the seasoning as a rub or sprinkle. New Orleans is famous for food, I've eaten medium rare steak there, Louisiana may be a different kind of South.
No doubt Louisiana is a great place for food and I am certain they know how to prepare a steak.
If you can eat raw oysters, you most likely will eat rare beef.

It seems it might be "this" part of the south, that has these finicky thoughts concerning food.
I have had people come here and remark about the Upstate SC culture. Saying its different than anywhere they have ever lived.
You really have to live here to understand.

Tags
beef, other, steak