"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Master Chef

I guess, before going into this whole discussion we should have asked original poster of how he/she makes the stake. Starting with the cut of meat used, the seasoning and the cooking method. After that we could have go into figuring out the "local south cuisine".

Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Rib-eye is not a steak that should be marinated, IMO. Salt and pepper is all the seasoning it needs before cooking. Now if your doing flank steak, I like a nice marinade.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
Master Chef

I'm going out on a limb here to ask if the OP has asked the picky steak eater what she means by a good old American steak. As we all know, taste is highly subjective, and takes into play past experiences with culture, family experiences, smell, how food looks, and tastes, textures, and memories of loved ones with whom food was shared. It is nearly impossible to make a specific kind of food for someone without them giving you a place to start. She needs to say how she likes it done, whether it's blue, to burnt. She needs to let you know if she likes it seasoned, or just likes the beef flavor to shine through. She has to tell you if what she was used to was corn fed, or grass fed, if she knows.

One can not know what another person likes without one of three situations;
1. She tells you in detail what makes a steak great to her
2. You've had the chance to observe her eating steaks of different types, and witnessed her response to them.
3. You've eaten what is to her, the perfect steak.

After that, it's simply conjecture

As an example, I once met a lady who stated that she made the most wonderful steaks. I and my wife were invited to dinner, and she cooked up her version of the most wonderful steaks. I watched her prepare the steak. She took perfectly good strip steak, seasoned it with salt, then liberally sprinkled baking soda over one side. Then she pierced it all over, strating that the baking powder would tenderize the meat. She did the same to the ohter side. Then, she picked up the steaks and put them on a hibachi, over hot charcoal. These were the worst steaks I had ever eaten, for my tastes. Yet, the lady who prepared them thought they were amazingly flavorful and tender.

That's an example of how wildly different tastes can be.

If you have no background, you have very little chance at success.

Oh, one other idea for you; do you know her family, i.e. her brother/sister/parents. If so, you could email them the same question about her beef eating preferences.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

The best advice I have ever had came from this forum. Salt the steak, wrap it for 24 hours, bring it to room temp and then sauté. You don't even have to pierce the meat for the salt to penetrate the meat. Perfect seasoning. I don't remember who gave us this advice, but a big Thank You to you.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youri Med View Post
You Can Cooked by yourself try this recipe

Griff's American Grilled Black Pepper & Garlic Steak

Ingredients:

4 lbs. (approximate) thick cut rib eye steak (four steaks)

2&2/3 cups Italian dressing (cheap is good!)

8 tbsp. butter

4 large cloves minced garlic

2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper (or more, if you love black pepper!)

Instructions:

Marinate the steak in the Italian dressing for at least 1/2 hour. In a small pan, melt the butter and add the garlic, heating slowly until the garlic is golden brown. Place steaks on hot grill (preferably a charcoal grill), sprinkling half of the pepper on steaks. When the first side is done, turn the steaks over and sprinkle the rest of pepper on steaks. With a spoon, pour the butter and garlic mixture over the top of steaks while they are still on grill.

I do not recommend marinating expensive ribeye steaks in cheap Italian dressing. That would ruin a damn good steak. Ribeyes are delicious on their own.

And if you pour melted butter on a steak while it's cooking over a live fire, it will probably catch on fire. Better to mount with compound butter when it's resting or on the plate.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
She took perfectly good strip steak, seasoned it with salt, then liberally sprinkled baking soda over one side. Then she pierced it all over, strating that the baking powder would tenderize the meat. She did the same to the ohter side. Then, she picked up the steaks and put them on a hibachi, over hot charcoal. These were the worst steaks I had ever eaten, for my tastes. Yet, the lady who prepared them thought they were amazingly flavorful and tender.
So Chief, was it baking soda, or baking powder? Both sound horrible...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The best advice I have ever had came from this forum. Salt the steak, wrap it for 24 hours, bring it to room temp and then sauté. You don't even have to pierce the meat for the salt to penetrate the meat. Perfect seasoning. I don't remember who gave us this advice, but a big Thank You to you.
The first time I heard it here it came from BuckyTom......gosh I miss that guy!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Shame on you,
I find your post rude, judgemental , and insulting.

Josie
Why?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I do not recommend marinating expensive ribeye steaks in cheap Italian dressing. That would ruin a damn good steak. Ribeyes are delicious on their own.

And if you pour melted butter on a steak while it's cooking over a live fire, it will probably catch on fire. Better to mount with compound butter when it's resting or on the plate.
I wouldn't recommend marinating even the cheapest cut of meat in cheap Italian dressing. There are too many recipes for a good marinade. Better to do some research instead.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

"KISS" works great and all you need is a grill. Steaks do vary in taste and tenderness depending on cut,grade,diet and environment of the animal. I would suggest a ribeye with salt ,garlic and pepper. Get your grill extremely hot and toss the steak on. Char both sides and leave the middle medium as it will cook a little off the grill. Southerners like to char and liquify the wonderful marbling of fat in a good rib eye steak. Crispy on the outside and tender juicy in the middle. YUM!

Tags
beef, other, steak