"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Perhaps fly over a piece of "Louisiana" steak (whatever that is?). Seriously however, it sounds like an psychological affectation to me as you can get terrific steak in ANY country, especially Australia.

I've noticed many (but not all) Americans are big on food elevation, i.e. the more ingredients the better, so perhaps your friend is used to a Steak with particular dressings and spices or perhaps the preparation method is more complex?

And of course, as others have mentioned each animal tastes slightly unique, down to breed and diet and whatnot.

For me, as long as a steak is good quality, I'm pretty happy to have it any style or breed or whatever way it comes.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #32
Master Chef

I think we need to hear more from the OP on this before we flood this thread with a zillion steak recipes....

Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So Chief, was it baking soda, or baking powder? Both sound horrible...
Yeh, it was baking soda, and it was horrible. I hope she isn't on this site under a name I would never recognize. She really was a great freind, other than her steaks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I am also in the camp of simple seasoning and high heat grilling to rare or medium rare for thick marbled cuts like ribeye and strip steaks.
Resting is also very important.

There is much debate on salting before grilling or cooking.
I was raised to season well ahead of cooking.
I was taught to never season a steak until you are ready to cook it.
What do you all think?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Yeh, it was baking soda, and it was horrible. I hope she isn't on this site under a name I would never recognize. She really was a great freind, other than her steaks.

Chief. I can see you are a very thoughtful guest.
But I could not have stood idly by while she put baking soda on a steak I was supposed to eat.

At the very minimum, I would have told her that both myself and my wife were allergic to baking soda. First!
You sir, have much more patience than I would have had.
In fact, I most likely would have told her that what she was doing was crazy. And hope she did not take to much offense.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

You sir, have much more patience than I would have had.
In fact, I most likely would have told her that what she was doing was crazy. And hope she did not take to much offense.
Hey! Have you ever tried baking soda on steak? Maybe she knew something you didn't. Where is your sense of adventure, man! If your host wants to eat baking soda on their steaks, bring it on!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Baking soda is a very common meat tenderizer in some Asian cooking. Typically done with thin sliced steaks and always either washed with water or lemon juice is used to dissolve. ATK has used it during brining to help tenderize.
On a seperate note just because you are from the south does not mean that you burn your steak.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Baking soda is a very common meat tenderizer in some Asian cooking. Typically done with thin sliced steaks and always either washed with water or lemon juice is used to dissolve. ATK has used it during brining to help tenderize.
On a seperate note just because you are from the south does not mean that you burn your steak.
There are regional preferences. However, I agree that you can't paint everyone with the same brush. I make perfectly good egg rolls, southern fried chicken, Italian food, and so many other things. And yet, I don't live there, though I did live in Tennessee for a year, and San Diego for ten years, and other places for various periods of time. More importantly, I have had the opportunity to try foods from many places, and what I liked, I learned to cook.

I get tired of the idea that you have to be form this or that place, or have to have some particular ethnic background to make some kind of food properly. In my opinion, just about anybody can learn to cook just about anything.

I still maintain that if the OP is to make a steak that will work for his prospective guest's taste, then he needs to have some background from her, so that he knows what she likes.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I do believe the baking soda question has been discussed earlier.

Tenderising meat using bi-carb of soda

Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Hey! Have you ever tried baking soda on steak? Maybe she knew something you didn't. Where is your sense of adventure, man! If your host wants to eat baking soda on their steaks, bring it on!
I will try anything and do. But to pour baking soda on a steak would most likely get a negative response from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
I hope you did not take that personally. I guess I should say "in my personal perception" when I make remarks about the south.

Tags
beef, other, steak