American Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. Used the technique last night.

Had a couple 2" ribeyes. Salted them well and let sit for 2 hours, then rinsed them off and applied my seasoning mix and some garlic powder.

The steak was excellent. My wife likes her steak well done (I know!) and she commented on how tender and juicy the steak was.
I am a believer, and thanks for the technique! It works well.

Thanks for the report RB
I bet your steak was better than hers though. ;)

Of course. I like mine on the rare side of medium rare. :LOL:

She cannot eat a whole steak especially thick as they were. So I cut hers in half and take the best side and butterfly it. This way her steak does not take forever to cook.

I took the other half that sat in the fridge all night seasoned and pan fried it rare. Man was that one tender cut.

For the record. Costco meats are very high quality. Every steak or chop I have ever bought was very tender on its own.
Not sure why their meat is so good. But I can over cook a pork chop and it still is tender and juicy.
This is why i never use the grocery store for meat anymore.

Last edited:
I like to make a rub of minced garlic, butter (unsalted) and cracked black pepper and rub that all over the steaks and then grill them. But I like the Cajun spices, also. I cook them to where they are light pink in the middle. I think that's medium, yes?

With love,
~Cat

I like to make a rub of minced garlic, butter (unsalted) and cracked black pepper and rub that all over the steaks and then grill them. But I like the Cajun spices, also. I cook them to where they are light pink in the middle. I think that's medium, yes?

With love,
~Cat

My seasoning mix is actually Emeril's Essence. (Creole seasoning)
I found a recipe and have been making this combination of spices for several years.
To be honest, I have no idea how I was able to survive without it.
In fact I need to make a new batch. I am almost out.

I like to make a compound butter, and apply a pat just before serving.

I understand RB. We both like our steaks red on the inside, not purple. There's a difference. When we order steaks out, because chef's seem to have different opinions about what "rare" means, we always say red, not purple, and if it's not right, I'll send it back in the blink of an eye. Picky I know, but that's the breaks when one is paying top dollar for a steak.

I understand RB. We both like our steaks red on the inside, not purple. There's a difference. When we order steaks out, because chef's seem to have different opinions about what "rare" means, we always say red, not purple, and if it's not right, I'll send it back in the blink of an eye. Picky I know, but that's the breaks when one is paying top dollar for a steak.

Exactly. I also do everything possible to make sure the color inside is consistent from the outside of the steak to the very middle.
This is where resting is so important.
I allow the steak to sit out of the fridge until its almost room temp and I think this also helps a lot.

Sending things back at restaurants is something I tend to avoid. I have heard so many horror stories.
If I am not certain as to the chef or cooking at the restaurant, I usually order it rare just in case. Better to eat raw, than to eat well done IMO. Plus, they would rather throw it back on the grill than have to make you a new steak. I think? LOL

Last edited:
Sending things back at restaurants is something I tend to avoid. I have heard so many horror stories.
If I am not certain as to the chef or cooking at the restaurant, I usually order it rare just in case. Better to eat raw, than to eat well done IMO. Plus, they would rather throw it back on the grill than have to make you a new steak. I think? LOL

Rare Steak - No Reservations... - YouTube

I like my steaks rare or medium rare. I don't mind if the steak is blue. I always ask for rare or blue, until I know the way the particular resto interprets the various terms for doneness.

I send stuff back, but I try to be polite about it. Do you have whole wheat bread? Is that real mayo, not salad dressing or Miracle Whip?

My ex used to get embarrassed about me sending stuff back. Then one day the server asked, "French fries or mashed?" I asked if it was real mashed or powdered. Ex-DH stared daggers at me and kicked me under the table. She replied, "Oh, they're from powder." Ex-DH very sheepishly asked for fries. He started sending stuff back that wasn't the way he had ordered it.

Last edited:
I prefer my steak seasoned with salt and pepper only....grilled until good and warm all the way through. I reckon that means rare.

Cool and pink inside is rare, warm and pink inside is medium rare, and cooked all the way through is medium.

If she wants a Louisiana steak, I would use a dry rub, either Cajun or Creole.

Creole Spice Rub
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon greshly ground black pepper

Cajun Spice Rub
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

My late husband used to tell them to "just wave it over the fire". Thanks for that film clip RF...I loved that movie!

My BIL tells them to "burn it". Hes thinks hes showing off. Then makes remarks to me like "how in the world could you eat that". Guys a real ass.

Cool and pink inside is rare, warm and pink inside is medium rare, and cooked all the way through is medium.

If she wants a Louisiana steak, I would use a dry rub, either Cajun or Creole.

Creole Spice Rub
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon greshly ground black pepper

Cajun Spice Rub
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I stand corrected Sir Loin. I make Cajun seasoning, not creole. The mix you posted is like what I mix up. Actually the exact ingredients, but differing amounts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom