American Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAlfheim

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I have a question which I hope the broader (and international) community can help me with...

I'm from Australia, and recently met a close friend's new female partner. Over lunch, she complained that compared to back home, she cant find a good steak here. I find this quite puzzling, as we have good beef, and we like to think we know how to cook it.

Being a decent cook (and patriotic Aussie), I see a challenge.

So my question is this: How do Americans from the south like their steak?
(this is more a question of style of preparing and cooking steak)

The facts that Ive gleaned from her so far:
- She's from the deep south (Louisiana?)
- She's made the comment "back home, we season our steaks"
- I think she leans towards marinades and rubs

As my partner and I will likely be cooking for this couple in the near future, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks...
Alf

I run a steakhouse in the US and most steak seasonings run heavy with salt and then lightly flavored with a mix of garlic, white pepper and paprika. The ratio is a personal preference.

They do have a recipe that is quite popular all over the south. It is called Chicken Fried Steak. It is a thin slice of steak, dredge in seasoned flour and sautéed in preferably bacon fat. When cooked to medium rare, they are removed from the pan, the leftover seasoned flour is then put in the frying pan into the bacon grease making a roux and over low heat, cooked until light brown. Then slowly add water or milk stirring constantly until the consistency of a loose gravy. Return the steaks to the gravy and reheat. The flour on the meat will additionally thicken the gravy. That's why you want a loose gravy. You can sauté some onions in the bacon grease prior to adding the meat. Leave them in when making the gravy.

The flour can be seasoned with just salt and pepper or other herbs of choice. Depends on personal taste. Taste the gravy and adjust any needed seasonings. The steak is usually from a chuck piece of meat or roast. We do season all our meats prior to cooking.

One trick we have is to season the steak with salt the day before it is to be cooked. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge. Remove the steak from the fridge one hour before cooking and allow to come to room temperature. This draws out the juices and then they go back into the meat with the salt. So the whole steak is seasoned inside and out. This steak us usually a steak of an expensive cut. Makes for a very tender and flavorful steak.

There are many grillers here who make steak all the time along with other meats. I am sure they will have more information for you along with recipes. :angel:

Chicken-fried steak is popular here, but unless it's specified, I wouldn't assume that's what she wants.

I agree with WD about the seasonings, although I grew up in the Midwest where steaks are seasoned with salt and pepper, period ;) The first time someone marinated a steak they were cooking for me, I was appalled :LOL:

I would ask her what cut and what temperature she likes her steak. There may be language differences and she may be asking for the wrong cut and asking for the wrong preparation for it, i.e., if she's asking for a chuck steak by mistake and having it prepared medium-rare, she will be disappointed.

Point blank ask her if she knows what seasonings were on the steaks back home. The most highly seasoned steak that I know which originated in LA, is blackened.

Oz and Texas share a lot of traits...including our love for ranching and grilling. I have complete confidence in my upside down brethren to cook a good steak. I imagine this might be a little home-sickness. For BBQ'ing, those in the "Deep South" use dry rubs, where we use wet sauces...but you don't use on that on a steak, as it cooked at really high temperatures. Other than the mentioned Cajun blackening...I can't really think of an alternate way to cook it used in that region.

Last edited:
"South" sounds like the keyword. I have been in SC now for over 30 years and I can count on one hand, the people that like their steak rare or medium rare. In fact it would be less than 5 people.
Its puzzling for sure as overcooking a good steak is to ruin a good steak. But this is how most southerners like there steak. Ruined. Over done with a bottle of ketchup.

My brother in law even goes as far as to tell the server to "burn it" when he orders the steak. Not sure if he really means to actually burn it, or just to make sure the whole table knows he wants his well done. Or "done" as they call it.

They think I'm nuts for eating rare beef. My wife will not eat rare meat either, not will anyone I know here.

OP. Don't worry about her steak preferences. She has no clue.

I'm thinking Cajun seasoning too. The steak would not necessarily need to be blackened, maybe just use the seasoning as a rub or sprinkle. New Orleans is famous for food, I've eaten medium rare steak there, Louisiana may be a different kind of South.

Last edited:
Although I like "chicken fried steak" as Addie described, I don't think of it as a "steak", and my guess is that she doesn't either.

In my travels in other parts of the world I've missed the "American Steak House" steak as I describe it. I'm no stranger to cooking perfectly acceptable steaks at home, but I've yet to produce one with the flavor and or technique of a great "American Steak House".

This might give you some ideas..
http://greatsteakofna.com/

Last edited:
I prefer my steak seasoned with salt and pepper only....grilled until good and warm all the way through. I reckon that means rare. Hard to get a steak at a restaurant that way.
On the other hand, I can eat steak at most any degree of doneness, barring burnt to a crisp.

My thoughts were running more towards the cut of meat, or even the type of beef.
Perhaps AUS uses a different breed or hybrid of cattle? Or they cut and trim their steaks differently?
I know I've mentioned when Harry posts a pic of his ribeye steaks that they look nothing like the ribeyes I buy. Just from looking at the raw steak I imagined if I went to England and ordered a steak it would be different than what I am used to.

ETA: Exactly. Or even whet they are fed.

Last edited:
Although I like "chicken fried steak" as Addie described, I don't think of it as a "steak", and my guess is that she doesn't either.

In my travels in other parts of the world I've missed the "American Steak House" steak as I describe it. I'm no stranger to cooking perfectly acceptable steaks at home, but I've yet to produce one with the flavor and or technique of a great "American Steak House".

This might give you some ideas..
Great Steak Houses of North America

In addition to what others have said about corn fed beef in this country, a great American Steak House uses Prime grade beef, generally not available to the home cook.

I'd come right out and ask her if she's missing a home cooked steak and how you might prepare it for her. I'm thinking you're a very thoughtful person she should appreciate.

Since you think she is from Louisiana I will tell what the average person here would expect in a steak.

Cut = Ribeye with lots of marbling. (I think its a law that lean steaks are ground into hamburger.)
Seasoning = Cajun spice blend heavy on the black pepper / salt (good meat does not need this but...)
Doneness = Medium well to well done (should be a crime but that is how it is)

"South" sounds like the keyword. I have been in SC now for over 30 years and I can count on one hand, the people that like their steak rare or medium rare. In fact it would be less than 5 people.
Its puzzling for sure as overcooking a good steak is to ruin a good steak. But this is how most southerners like there steak. Ruined. Over done with a bottle of ketchup.

My brother in law even goes as far as to tell the server to "burn it" when he orders the steak. Not sure if he really means to actually burn it, or just to make sure the whole table knows he wants his well done. Or "done" as they call it.

They think I'm nuts for eating rare beef. My wife will not eat rare meat either, not will anyone I know here.

OP. Don't worry about her steak preferences. She has no clue.

Shame on you,
I find your post rude, judgemental , and insulting.

Josie

Last edited:
I have had steak in Australia and have had it over here also. It was common over here during a mad cow scare a few years ago. I find it is leaner beef than some of us like here. It was usually graded as AA or USDA Select. It also tastes a wee bit different. Not a bad thing, I think it is natural considering the food it eats and the climate it is raised in. I think it would be almost impossible to duplicate but, I would hazard to guess that you could probably have it thick cut, season it fairly heavily, and get a good char going on it. I would leave as much fat on it as you can...It can be trimmed off later by the eater....maybe you could brush it with melted, seasoned butter while it cooks to keep it moist, well seasoned and aid in creating flair ups which will help char it better. Actually, this practice is good for anybody cooking steak.

I have never eaten steak in Louisiana but sounds like up here. I can't believe how many people like the bejezus cooked out of their meat... May as well just buy a slab of round steak and have at 'er....

But, like I said, one isn't better than the other, just different....

Last edited:
I'm thinking Cajun seasoning too. The steak would not necessarily need to be blackened, maybe just use the seasoning as a rub or sprinkle. New Orleans is famous for food, I've eaten medium rare steak there, Louisiana may be a different kind of South.

No doubt Louisiana is a great place for food and I am certain they know how to prepare a steak.
If you can eat raw oysters, you most likely will eat rare beef.

It seems it might be "this" part of the south, that has these finicky thoughts concerning food.
I have had people come here and remark about the Upstate SC culture. Saying its different than anywhere they have ever lived.
You really have to live here to understand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom