Another beef brisket question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Paul has a friend who told him to cook our brisket in the following manner. I've promised Paulie that I'll do it today... two questions really. IS this safe? The temp seems so low. And will we end up having beef jerky for dinner?:) :)

Gas BBQ.
Put a small container of wood chips in one corner
Pat a small can of water in the other corner
turn bbq on low heat, one burner so that it reaches 180 degrees
and a nice smoke arises.

sprinkle meat with lots of salt and pepper and place in bbq.
Cook for 45 minutes then turn and rotate meat. Cook 15 minutes more and then turn and rotate again. Do this for 4 hours.

THEN
wrap meat in tin foil so no juices can leak out and cook at 180 degrees for another 4 hours.

Remove from bbq.
let rest 20 minutes and then eat...

The brisket only weighs 3 pounds and at the thickest
point is only about 2 inches.

Thanks!!!
I'm going to do it as Paul wants it done but...
I'm really interested to see what you guys think.

( I don't even bbq chicken so this bbq cooking is all new to me)

Cooking meat at 180 is unsafe, IMO. The USDA says a minimum of 325, which I think is overkill. @ 180 the meat will be in the no-no zone, with bacteria going bonkers, for way too long.

I prepare brisket in the oven (with carrots, onions, potatoes) -- for 3 lbs about 1:45-2 hrs at about 350. Sometimes I cut slits in the meat and insert garlic cloves, and add worcestershire. I don't see the advantage of cooking a small piece of meat for 5 hours in the bbq - other than a smokey flavor. Perhaps liquid smoke would achieve a similar taste. It might shrink up and disappear. Let us know how it turns out.

I don't think it sounds safe either...that's why I asked....
but Paul's friends does it this way all the time. ummmmm scary.

Mish.. that's how I cook my roasts too.
I'll let ya know the out come.

wouldn't this method be more like smoking it for a while then finishing
it in the oven? we smoke briskets at 220 for hours and wrap in foil and
finish it in the oven for many hours more.

i do think this is a long cooking process for a 3lb brisket i would cut
the time in half

Last edited:
It does rather seem like a long time for 3lb brisket. I cook mine as long as 10 hours + at 220-250 deg, but I usually cook a huge chunk of meat, like 20 pounds or so.
Maybe the reason the cooking time is so long is because the temp is so low. It is practically like smoking rather than cooking. 180 deg is not even boiling temp. Maybe it is smoking rather than grilling.

I'm not sure of the proper name...

lol...I'm just being a good wife and doing as the boss man says.
wish me luck.

Charlie...what is your meat like when it's done... is it soft and tender or more dry and chewy? I have no idea what to expect.

rickell said:
wouldn't this method be more like smoking it for a while then finishing
it in the oven? we smoke briskets at 220 for hours and wrap in foil and
finish it in the oven for many hours more.

i do think this is a long cooking process for a 3lb brisket i would cut
the time in half

I agree. I'll take a good look at it
after the first four hours. I just have no idea.:)

I cook brisket in some liquid, i use wine and do it in the oven, so in the end it is very soft and juicy.

ahhhh goodness. I guess I shall just have to wait and see. THANKS!!!! Have a goood day!

smiles, T

I've always done mine in the oven too shp. that's why I have so many questions....

That low temp is not safe. You want to cook the brisket low and slow like pork to an INTERNAL temp of 180*+ but the cooking temp is around 250*. It is the same principle as pulled pork and the results are similar. The internal collagenous fibers that make these cuts of meat tough break down when cooked low and slow. They do not break down when cooked above 300*--at that temp they "roast"--the proteins tighten up instead of tenderize.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom