"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-28-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Cook

Another beef thread -- laaarge hamburgers

Got another questions for you experts out there . I have wanted to cook one of those laarge burgers - minimum 1 pound(like at Fuddruckers), or maybe even a 2 or 3 pounder(as you may see on Food Network specials). It's just for fun -- It'd become something to make with a bunch of friends and split into massive pieces and eat. I would most definitely use 80/20 beef, and would most probably have to purchase a thermometer to check when the inside had hit a cooked temperature.

I'm still not sure though, how I would approach a burger of this size? Let's say for now it would be a 1 pound burger(plus or minus a couple of ounces). I know I'd need eggs, breadcrumbs, all my normal spices --> but what would be the best way to cook it to ensure the inside is cooked? Sear and oven blast method...bbq grill? Also, any other tips/thoughts you could give me would be excellent. Thanks again, and you can wait to answer the post after you're done laughing at me .

Old 09-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

After reading your thread, I wonder how do you deal with the bun? I'm assuming you don't go get the standard bun from the grocery store. Do you just buy foccacia bread? What bun is big enough to make 1+ pound burger...or would you use a loaf?

That would be really fun, just to try!

Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Flavor your meat with some homemade garlic/salt/olive oil paste - just take the side of your knife blade and smoosh the chopped garlic, kosher salt, and oil to form a paste - and plenty of it too. Then I'd add a couple bottles of horseradish cream or horseradish, lots of Worcestershire and that's all I put in mine - except some turns of the pepper mill. Gently fold the ingredients in with your fingers being careful not to squish too much - that will only make it tough.

Carefully form your pattie being sure not to smoosh it too much - make it aboutan inch or so thick. Take your thumb and put an indention right in the middle of the burger and because it's so big you'll have to make the indention bigger and wider. This prevents shrinking.

I would sear it on both sides then finish in a roughly 375 oven for probably about 15 minutes - a thermometer will do the trick though. Don't squish it to see if the juices run pink or clear, you'll just be losing valuable moisture. Test for temp around the indention in the middle at a thicker point.

You could always get an Italian boule and hollow it out to serve your burger on then cut in wedges.

IMHO you can't eat a burger without provolone.

This is all just my 2 cents.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

That sounds interesting for a group or party.

I think it maybe a good idea to come up with a theme first,that might determine what you add to the meat and what
you might use as a bun.

Examples could be cajun,mexican,cali,down under,east indian
french that kind of thing and the condiments that compliment each and of course the different breads as well.

I would up the fat content to at least 27 to 30% with anything over 1 lb,otherwise you could have a brick on your hands.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I totally forgot to say I add a LOT of olive oil to my meat mixture. I can get a lower fat content but still a lot of moisture from the olive oil. Yea foodaholic - good poinit - I've eaten those bricks before - keep you full for about 3 days and make you swear off ever eating another burger!

You brought up a good point too - sauteed mushrooms and swiss would be good along with some caramelized onions - all would fit nicely in an Italian boule.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I put olive oil in mine as well.the french add a little cream
sometimes of course with sauteed shallot,porcini,garlic
deglazed with some brandy,cooled added to the beef.Now we could roll the beef lenthwise,flatten and serve on a bagette
with roasted garlic and red peppers with a touch of goat cheese.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodaholic
I put olive oil in mine as well.the french add a little cream
sometimes of course with sauteed shallot,porcini,garlic
deglazed with some brandy,cooled added to the beef.Now we could roll the beef lenthwise,flatten and serve on a bagette
with roasted garlic and red peppers with a touch of goat cheese.
...and we're getting together to cook when????

Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I'd say were cookin pretty good right now.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
Cook

Hahaha good stuff you guys!

Do they still sell 70% beef? I think I've seen 75%, but not in my local grocery store. I'll check that out!

For the bun, I was planning to either use Middle Eastern style flatbread, or I can do the job with the Italian loaf...just make a big bread bowl and stick the burger in there as you mentioned. :D

Kitchenelf, would you be able to give me approximate measurements for say, 1 lb of beef? Your olive oil paste/horseradish/worstershire combo sounds perfect to my taste buds.

Lastly, I was definitely looking at a steak and cheese type topping --> provolone, sauteed mushrooms and onions. Also of course mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato :D.

Oh and secondlastly, foodaholic and kitchenelf -- about how much olive oil do you put into your hamburger mix(let's do everything in terms of 1 lb of beef)?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Some good ideas here.

If you're not set on a round burger, you could buy a really nice loaf of bread and shape the burger to fit the bread...

Tags
None