"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I got this from a Hungarian cookbook sold to the English, before the Iron Curtain fell.

Borgracs Gulyas (Caludron Gulyas)

Ingredients-:

1.5 pounds of beef ( I use cut up sirloin or pre-cut stew meat)
2 oz. lard (I use canola oil or olive oil)
7 oz. onions
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp paprika
pinch of caraway seed
pinch of marjoram
1 tsp salt
2 pounds of potatoes
5 oz green pepper
5 oz tomatoes
2 oz flour
1 egg

Cut the beef into small cubes, and place in a saucepan ( I use a cast iron dutch oven.); add lard, finely chopped onions, garlic, paprika, caraway seed, marjoram, and salt; stir well, add a little water, cover and let simmer, stirring it from time to time and adding a little bit of water every now and then to prevent burning..... I fry the meat and onions in the oil, then add all the mentioned ingredients except I put a bottle off beer in instead of water, later I add water per the directions...... When the gulyas is half cooked add the sliced green peppers, tomatoes, and diced potatoes ( I also add a couple of sliced carrots) and pour sufficient water to cover. Simmer until tender. Before serving, knead 6 oz. of flour and 1 egg into a stiff paste, tear with fingers into small squares - csipetke - and cook in boiling salt water. Strain and add to gulyas. If fresh tomatoes and green paprika is not available, add 4 !/2 oz. of lecso and 1 T. of tomatoe puree.

When I was growing up my mother made goolash using macaroni, hamburger, and canned tomatoes, added paprika - it was good but not the same.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Lance, that recipe seems very light on paprika.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I wonder if that's because of the shortages in that area at the time.

I like recipes from Cooks Illustrated. I haven't made this one, but I have made their Chicken Paprikash and it was very good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/real-hung...strated-329539
Old 09-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I imagine paprika, like all spices, and salt and pepper is a personal thing. One can always add more but you can't take it out. My friend in Port Alice put too much smoked paprika in her paella and it was unfit to eat. I know I always put more spice in my dishes than what is called for.

I have so many different kinds of paprika it's hard to keep them straight.

Chicken paprika and Rao's Lemon chicken are on my short list after Labour Day.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
I imagine paprika, like all spices, and salt and pepper is a personal thing.
It is, but the hallmark flavor of goulash is paprika. There's supposed to be a lot - like there's a lot of garlic in Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

I came across this interesting article today on the history of goulash. Thought some here might like to read it: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Old 04-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Loved the article. I LOVE Gulasc, and often make it in winter. Recently I found a recipe for gulasc with pork rather than meat - it was surprisingly good! I used what was called pork shoulder but looked more like a large thick slice of pork leg, with enough fat to guarantee a good result. Well worth the effort, but now I'm going to use the recipe posted here.

Many thanks

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 04-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the article, GG. I am reminded of a "discussion" I had with a member long departed about goulash. He insisted his recipe was the only authentic recipe for goulash!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I came across this interesting article today on the history of goulash. Thought some here might like to read it: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Interesting read - thanks.

Tags
recipe

Any good recipes for Hungarian goulash? any good recipes for hungarian goulash? 3 stars 1 reviews