Any good St. Patrick day specials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonbaker

Chef Extraordinaire
We have a small cafe where we cater & do breakfast & lunches. We have no deep-fryer or charbroiler. Although cooked cabbage & saurkraut dishes are popular for the holiday they are not well recieved for lunches. Anyone have any good idea's for lunch specials with the St. Patricks day theme?

I'm pretty familiar with both of them except for the first two:Dublin coddle & Colcannon. Please elaborate. Thanks!

Irish soda bread
Corned beef with potatoes, onions, carrots, and if you like it cabbage or kraut can be coarsely chopped and made into a soup (my ladies particularly like this)
For a change of pace, you can use some kind of flat bread and make corned beef roll-ups

Irish soda bread
Corned beef with potatoes, onions, carrots, and if you like it cabbage or kraut can be coarsely chopped and made into a soup (my ladies particularly like this)
For a change of pace, you can use some kind of flat bread and make corned beef roll-ups

The roll-ups are a great idea.

Beef braised in Guinness with boiled, fried, roasted and mashed pots.
Boiled Bacon, parsley sauce and " " " " "

I'm pretty familiar with both of them except for the first two:Dublin coddle & Colcannon. Please elaborate. Thanks!
Dublin Coddle is pork sausage, Irish bacon, spuds and onions, simmered for about an hour.
Colcannon is a combo of mashed potatoes, kale or cabbage, usually leeks and ham or bacon, and both are very popular in Ireland.

Colcannon is a combo of mashed potatoes, kale or cabbage, usually leeks and ham or bacon, and both are very popular in Ireland.

When the kale, potatoes, and leeks are ready in the garden, colcannon is one of my favorite side dishes. I make the mashed potatoes with garlic and a bit of sour cream or cream cheese. Then, so that I don't feel quite so guilty, I leave out the ham or bacon. It is nice way to eat kale, cabbage, or even swiss chard.

Sounds like an interesting combination. Not sure I could use it for a special at the cafe but I know a guy that is from Ireland & would like to make it for him.Do you pre-cook the kale before combining it with the mashed potatoes?or do you cook it all together then mash it all. Then, do you add crisp crumbled bacon?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom