"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

not confused, doing it today

I'm not confused and will make this today for tomorrows meal. I HAVE done this before a few years ago. My problem was mostly the timing in the oven and the temps as I think I previously said. My ovens are new and not sure that they'll take the high heat in there for the hour it takes to preheat to that temp. I'll be reading Michaels advice again thoroughly though, before attempting this feat. With an entire bottle of red wine, I don't think it completely submerged the meat all the way around and to the top. Plus, the only time I did this recipe before was using only real butter and it stayed melted as it never went into the frig. It stayed on the counter the entire time. I'll report back tomorrow when we've eaten it. I must get a really good piece of meat today at the market. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef

marinating away on the counter..........
got a beautiful London Broil at a good price...........
I used 2 bottles of Pinot Noir instead of one since Michael got me nervous about completely submerging the meat.............
can't wait to heat that oven up along with the cast iron skillet and then sticking it in there for 3 hours at 200

Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
marinating away on the counter..........
got a beautiful London Broil at a good price...........
I used 2 bottles of Pinot Noir instead of one since Michael got me nervous about completely submerging the meat.............
can't wait to heat that oven up along with the cast iron skillet and then sticking it in there for 3 hours at 200

How did it turn out?

I found this article about the antibacterial attributes of wine: http://www.foodsciencecentral.com/ix...button=summary

Personally I would never marinate it on the counter or cook it as such a low temperature (that part concerns me most) but am interested to find out whether it was worth it
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Master Chef

jennyema - the bad bug causing problems in beef that is getting all the press is a rare strain of E. coli (Escherichia coli) - E. coli O157:H7. Of course it's not found in solid pieces of meat like a London Broil - it's mainly in ground beef. Here's a place to read more: http://people.ku.edu/~jbrown/ecoli.html

Keeping the surface of the meat coated with wine provides an acidic environment tha bacteria don't like. Actually - the cut surface of any beef will contain some bacteria that is not inside the meat. Cooking to an internal temp of 200-F will kill the nasty little bugs the acid in the wine didn't kill on the surface of the meat.

LEFSElover - sorry I was having a cognative lapse the other night .... I was thinking about the way Mom used to marinade meat in an open dish ... not the way I do it these days. The way I do it - put the meat in a 1-gallon zip top bag, pour in the marinade, squeeze out all the air, zip it shut, fold the bag over to reduce the size of the bag to the size of the meat ... then turn every hour or so. That way - the meat should always be in contact with the wine.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Cooking to an internal temp of 200-F will kill the nasty little bugs the acid in the wine didn't kill on the surface of the meat.

Cooking to an internal temp of 200F in a 200F oven is going to take a heck of a long time, which is my bigger concern.

Tags
None