Anyone know the 24 hour counter beef recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
When the FoodTV bulletin board was open, I posted a recipe I'd heard about and made. It was for a large London Broil piece of meat, that was marinated in 1 bottle of red wine and 1 stick of melted butter, and then left on the counter to marinate for 24 hours. Then it was put in the oven, that I think was preheated to a REALLY hot temperature and then turned off and left in the oven, not to be opened until like 2 hours has passed. Anyone know what I'm talking about cause my hubby's asking for it again and I don't remember the temps for the oven or the time it needs to stay in there untouched?:( :blink: Help if you remember or have done this yourself cause this memory is lapsing......:shock: and thanks for your help!:ROFLMAO:

I have not heard of this. How is it safe to leave the meat on the counter and not in the fridge for that long?

I have moved this to the Beef forum.

I'm with GB on this one. Whenever I marinate, it is in the refrigerator not on the counter, even for much shorter periods of time.

This sounds like an old French country recipe.

It's probably (possibly) safe on one hand because it's beef (not chicken, pork or fish), and the alcohol and acid in the wine is not germ friendly ... and the melted butter will rise to the top and congeal and form a barrier (like in potted meat).

On the other hand .... modern American ovens do not retain heat like old French country wood fired ovens (cast iron).
If I was going to try to replicate this ... preheat the oven to 500-550 for one hour. I would also preheat a cast-iron dutch oven while preheating the oven. Remove the dutch oven, add the meat, slap on the lid and toss back into the oven as quickly as possible. Leave for 3 hours.

Personally ... if it was me .... I would marinate the beef for 24-hours in the refridgerator .. then place in a a 500-F preheated oven and reduce the heat to 200-F ... for 2-3 hours.

that's what they mostly all said too

from the other board, they were all concerned too about the leaving it on the counter to marinate. But someone did say that the wine was the safety factor as it has something in it to prevent spoilage:ermm: or the butter helps it in some way too. at this point don't remember exactly. but others had also tried it and said it was wonderful and safe and stated, at that time, why.

I'll continue searching and hopefully someone can refresh my memory. thanks for all the inputs.:-p

Michael in FtW said:
This sounds like an old French country recipe.

It's probably (possibly) safe on one hand because it's beef (not chicken, pork or fish), and the alcohol and acid in the wine is not germ friendly ... and the melted butter will rise to the top and congeal and form a barrier (like in potted meat).

On the other hand .... modern American ovens do not retain heat like old French country wood fired ovens (cast iron).
If I was going to try to replicate this ... preheat the oven to 500-550 for one hour. I would also preheat a cast-iron dutch oven while preheating the oven. Remove the dutch oven, add the meat, slap on the lid and toss back into the oven as quickly as possible. Leave for 3 hours.

Personally ... if it was me .... I would marinate the beef for 24-hours in the refridgerator .. then place in a a 500-F preheated oven and reduce the heat to 200-F ... for 2-3 hours.

michael in DFW, you're the ticket, I think that's exactly what I'll do, thanks..............:LOL:

If your normal room temperature is below 40 degrees farenheit consistently during that 24 hour period, it might be okay, as long as you tightly wrap the meat and marinating dish in saran wrap. I still personally wouldn't do it though. Other than that, be prepared to kneel to the toilet gods within 6-24 hours after eating the meat.

I knew I left something out Lefse ....

If you were going to marinate on the counter for 24-hours the meat MUST be completely submerged.

The marinade works like a vinaigrette ... the acid from the wine and the fat from the melted butter (like vinegar and oil). But, the thing here that makes it so good is that butter has natural emulsifiers - which allows the marinade to penetrate the meat deeper than oil without emulsifiers. Unfortunately, when refridgerated, the butter will solidify. I honestly do not know how this will affect the mix - but I assume it will, the benefit from the emulsifiers will be lost once it begins to solidify. That leaves trying to find a vegetable oil that is high in monoglycerides and/or diglycerides ... or one that lists Polysorbate (20 or 80) as an ingredient. I've been trying to find an oil that lists those things and have come up empty. I would probably substitute butter flavored Crisco oil for the butter in the recipe.

I hope I haven't confused you too much!

not confused, doing it today

I'm not confused:cool: and will make this today for tomorrows meal. I HAVE done this before a few years ago. My problem was mostly the timing in the oven and the temps as I think I previously said. My ovens are new and not sure that they'll take the high heat in there for the hour it takes to preheat to that temp. I'll be reading Michaels advice again thoroughly though, before attempting this feat. With an entire bottle of red wine, I don't think it completely submerged the meat all the way around and to the top. Plus, the only time I did this recipe before was using only real butter and it stayed melted as it never went into the frig. It stayed on the counter the entire time. I'll report back tomorrow when we've eaten it. I must get a really good piece of meat today at the market. Fingers crossed.:glare:

marinating away on the counter..........
got a beautiful London Broil at a good price...........
I used 2 bottles of Pinot Noir instead of one since Michael got me nervous about completely submerging the meat.............
can't wait to heat that oven up along with the cast iron skillet and then sticking it in there for 3 hours at 200°:ROFLMAO:

LEFSElover said:
marinating away on the counter..........
got a beautiful London Broil at a good price...........
I used 2 bottles of Pinot Noir instead of one since Michael got me nervous about completely submerging the meat.............
can't wait to heat that oven up along with the cast iron skillet and then sticking it in there for 3 hours at 200°:ROFLMAO:

How did it turn out?

I found this article about the antibacterial attributes of wine: http://www.foodsciencecentral.com/ixbin/fscpage?_IXSESSION_=qoKIwtYYO4H&ix_unique_id=ixid13968&_IXSPFX_=library/b&_IXFPFX_=library/t&_IXCONTENTTYPE_=fsta+report&_IXHOMESRCTYPE_=FoodInfo+Online&submit-button=summary

Personally I would never marinate it on the counter or cook it as such a low temperature (that part concerns me most) but am interested to find out whether it was worth it
:chef:

jennyema - the bad bug causing problems in beef that is getting all the press is a rare strain of E. coli (Escherichia coli) - E. coli O157:H7. Of course it's not found in solid pieces of meat like a London Broil - it's mainly in ground beef. Here's a place to read more: http://people.ku.edu/~jbrown/ecoli.html

Keeping the surface of the meat coated with wine provides an acidic environment tha bacteria don't like. Actually - the cut surface of any beef will contain some bacteria that is not inside the meat. Cooking to an internal temp of 200-F will kill the nasty little bugs the acid in the wine didn't kill on the surface of the meat.

LEFSElover - sorry I was having a cognative lapse the other night .... I was thinking about the way Mom used to marinade meat in an open dish ... not the way I do it these days. The way I do it - put the meat in a 1-gallon zip top bag, pour in the marinade, squeeze out all the air, zip it shut, fold the bag over to reduce the size of the bag to the size of the meat ... then turn every hour or so. That way - the meat should always be in contact with the wine.

Michael in FtW said:
Cooking to an internal temp of 200-F will kill the nasty little bugs the acid in the wine didn't kill on the surface of the meat.

Cooking to an internal temp of 200F in a 200F oven is going to take a heck of a long time, which is my bigger concern.

Back
Top Bottom