"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Anyone know the 24 hour counter beef recipe?

When the FoodTV bulletin board was open, I posted a recipe I'd heard about and made. It was for a large London Broil piece of meat, that was marinated in 1 bottle of red wine and 1 stick of melted butter, and then left on the counter to marinate for 24 hours. Then it was put in the oven, that I think was preheated to a REALLY hot temperature and then turned off and left in the oven, not to be opened until like 2 hours has passed. Anyone know what I'm talking about cause my hubby's asking for it again and I don't remember the temps for the oven or the time it needs to stay in there untouched? Help if you remember or have done this yourself cause this memory is lapsing...... and thanks for your help!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have not heard of this. How is it safe to leave the meat on the counter and not in the fridge for that long?

I have moved this to the Beef forum.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I'm with GB on this one. Whenever I marinate, it is in the refrigerator not on the counter, even for much shorter periods of time.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Leaving it out for 24 hours and then cooking it in an oven which has been turned off seems like a recipe for food poisoning, to me.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+poisoning%22
Old 05-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hey LEFSE!!!!

I tried every combination of words I could find and I found nothing. sorry

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Master Chef

This sounds like an old French country recipe.

It's probably (possibly) safe on one hand because it's beef (not chicken, pork or fish), and the alcohol and acid in the wine is not germ friendly ... and the melted butter will rise to the top and congeal and form a barrier (like in potted meat).

On the other hand .... modern American ovens do not retain heat like old French country wood fired ovens (cast iron).
If I was going to try to replicate this ... preheat the oven to 500-550 for one hour. I would also preheat a cast-iron dutch oven while preheating the oven. Remove the dutch oven, add the meat, slap on the lid and toss back into the oven as quickly as possible. Leave for 3 hours.

Personally ... if it was me .... I would marinate the beef for 24-hours in the refridgerator .. then place in a a 500-F preheated oven and reduce the heat to 200-F ... for 2-3 hours.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Executive Chef

that's what they mostly all said too

from the other board, they were all concerned too about the leaving it on the counter to marinate. But someone did say that the wine was the safety factor as it has something in it to prevent spoilage or the butter helps it in some way too. at this point don't remember exactly. but others had also tried it and said it was wonderful and safe and stated, at that time, why.

I'll continue searching and hopefully someone can refresh my memory. thanks for all the inputs.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
This sounds like an old French country recipe.

It's probably (possibly) safe on one hand because it's beef (not chicken, pork or fish), and the alcohol and acid in the wine is not germ friendly ... and the melted butter will rise to the top and congeal and form a barrier (like in potted meat).

On the other hand .... modern American ovens do not retain heat like old French country wood fired ovens (cast iron).
If I was going to try to replicate this ... preheat the oven to 500-550 for one hour. I would also preheat a cast-iron dutch oven while preheating the oven. Remove the dutch oven, add the meat, slap on the lid and toss back into the oven as quickly as possible. Leave for 3 hours.

Personally ... if it was me .... I would marinate the beef for 24-hours in the refridgerator .. then place in a a 500-F preheated oven and reduce the heat to 200-F ... for 2-3 hours.
michael in DFW, you're the ticket, I think that's exactly what I'll do, thanks..............
Old 05-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If your normal room temperature is below 40 degrees farenheit consistently during that 24 hour period, it might be okay, as long as you tightly wrap the meat and marinating dish in saran wrap. I still personally wouldn't do it though. Other than that, be prepared to kneel to the toilet gods within 6-24 hours after eating the meat.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 AM   #10
Master Chef

I knew I left something out Lefse ....

If you were going to marinate on the counter for 24-hours the meat MUST be completely submerged.

The marinade works like a vinaigrette ... the acid from the wine and the fat from the melted butter (like vinegar and oil). But, the thing here that makes it so good is that butter has natural emulsifiers - which allows the marinade to penetrate the meat deeper than oil without emulsifiers. Unfortunately, when refridgerated, the butter will solidify. I honestly do not know how this will affect the mix - but I assume it will, the benefit from the emulsifiers will be lost once it begins to solidify. That leaves trying to find a vegetable oil that is high in monoglycerides and/or diglycerides ... or one that lists Polysorbate (20 or 80) as an ingredient. I've been trying to find an oil that lists those things and have come up empty. I would probably substitute butter flavored Crisco oil for the butter in the recipe.

I hope I haven't confused you too much!

Tags
None