"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

This confused me for a second. Extra pans? I do the entire thing in one pan, so all the browned goodies are in the sauce.
I often save time on things by using a crockpot. Can't sauté in a crockpot!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am the opposite. If I order a meal that contains gravy I ask that they leave it off, or ask for just a light portion of gravy. I would like it if I could sop it up with bread, but since I have to avoid bread, I avoid the gravy also.
Carol, I too am a diabetic. Have been for more than 20 years. Because of my crazy hours and the way I eat or never eat, my doctor took me off my medication. So now I control it by diet alone. Sure, carbs are low on my list of foods I eat, but I don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy. I choose a baked 'tater over mashed, I don't like bread and I control the amount of pasta and other carbs. I wouldn't suggest the way I eat or the hours I keep to anyone. For I am crazy. I do what I want, when I want. I have no job to go to, no husband to cook for and can take a nap anytime I want. But I do have small helpings of foods I like and always have. I guess it is to each their own, but I refuse to deprive myself.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Too bad we all live so far apart. Wouldn't it be fun to have a dining club. We could all make our versions of one thing and do it pot luck style. Like a chili cook off! This month: Swiss Steak. Next month turkey and dressing (I know there are millions of dressing/stuffing versions.)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
I do mine that way too PrincessFiona, except I use a little oil (or all oil) in the butter to stop it burning) sometimes, depending on what I am having it with I add some red wine. I think the secret is the slow caramelisation of the onions really, don't you?
Absolutely and I don't cheat by adding sugar to speed the process,
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Too bad we all live so far apart. Wouldn't it be fun to have a dining club. We could all make our versions of one thing and do it pot luck style. Like a chili cook off! This month: Swiss Steak. Next month turkey and dressing (I know there are millions of dressing/stuffing versions.)
That would be fun.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Our version uses a 7-bone chuck roast, braised in stewed tomatoes with onions and celery. Mashed taters are a must.
That sounds like pot roast to me.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Take me with you. When I eat out in a restaurant, I don't order a dish that doesn't include gravy. And I want extra on the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am the opposite. If I order a meal that contains gravy I ask that they leave it off, or ask for just a light portion of gravy. I would like it if I could sop it up with bread, but since I have to avoid bread, I avoid the gravy also.
I got used to asking servers in restos if I could have my food with no gravy. Used to be that most resto gravy had MSG and I get the MSG "headache".

I make gravy at home, but certainly not most of the time. The first time I had meatloaf with gravy, it was a friend who made the meatloaf. It was dry and needed the gravy. My meatloaf doesn't need gravy. I sorta got it in my head that gravy is often used to hide the fact that the food is kinda dry.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I got used to asking servers in restos if I could have my food with no gravy. Used to be that most resto gravy had MSG and I get the MSG "headache".

I make gravy at home, but certainly not most of the time. The first time I had meatloaf with gravy, it was a friend who made the meatloaf. It was dry and needed the gravy. My meatloaf doesn't need gravy. I sorta got it in my head that gravy is often used to hide the fact that the food is kinda dry.
Or the cook and/or someone in their family has chewing and swallowing problems. That's why more gravy in our house now.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Absolutely and I don't cheat by adding sugar to speed the process,
Adding sugar would be disgusting to me. But then as a rule, I don't mix sweet and savory. (exceptions are barbecue sauce or baked beans)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Or the cook and/or someone in their family has chewing and swallowing problems. That's why more gravy in our house now.
Or, the family simply loves gravy and thickened sauces. Poorly cooked meat is not helped by gravy. Actually poorly cooked meat ruins a good gravy or thickened sauce for me. But even then, the meat is secondary to a good gravy. (maybe because I used to be a vegetarian?!?)

Tags
None