Anyone make Swiss Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New England pot roast does, but it's not the only kind of pot roast. I meant that Swiss steak uses a steak-like cut of meat rather than an entire roast. If you're slicing the roast into steaks beforehand, then sorry, I didn't get that from your previous post.

Read some of the exchange between myself and Taxlady.;)

What doesn't make it a swiss steak? Along with any number of common names for food, that the origins are lost in memory? You google swiss steak and you get many versions, of which most use tomato products. In my family, it has been called swiss steak for generations.
I Googled Swiss steak and yes, many of them are made with tomato products. It seems that there are two quite different beef dishes that go by the name Swiss steak. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_steak'

"The name does not refer to Switzerland, but instead to the process of "swissing", which refers to fabric or other materials being pounded or run through rollers in order to soften it." That's the one I know. Learned something new today.

What ever you say.:rolleyes:

What doesn't make it a swiss steak? Along with any number of common names for food, that the origins are lost in memory? You google swiss steak and you get many versions, of which most use tomato products. In my family, it has been called swiss steak for generations.

I'm not talking about the flavoring ingredients, but the cut of meat. You said you use a chuck roast. A steak is cut from a roast. Therefore, your recipe is not swiss *steak*.

More like swiss roast.
I could take hamburger, bread crumbs, egg and onion and mix it in a bowl, but if I form it into a patty I'm not going to call it meatloaf.
I guess it's that reoccurring discussion on when does a recipe stop being one thing and become something else. How much can you actually change or substitute?
But if Craig wants to call it swiss steak, that's fine by me ;)

Been making my version of Swiss steak for over 50 year.

I use about 1/2-inch thick round steak I pound with the edge of a saucer to break is down a bit, cut it into manageable pieces then dredge it in flour. In a large skillet I brown it in a a stick of butter. After it has browned I add about a cup each of chopped onion, green pepper and celery, along with a finely minced clove of garlic. To that I stir in a can of undiluted condensed tomato soup, 2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for about an hour, checking from time to time to stir, turn the meat and to see if more liquid is necessary. If so, I just stir in a little water.

Mashed potatoes are mandatory. There's never any left when I make Swiss steak.

I'm not talking about the flavoring ingredients, but the cut of meat. You said you use a chuck roast. A steak is cut from a roast. Therefore, your recipe is not swiss *steak*.

That would be your opinion. I'm not going to change what something has been called in my family for generations because someone on an internet forum disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made both tomato-based and brown gravy-based Swiss steak. Love 'em. Oh, and mushroom soup and onion-based. Hmm. Round steak is now on the shopping list.

That would be your opinion. I'm not going to change what something has been called in my family for generations because someone on an internet forum disagrees.

I'm not asking you to, dude. I asked you to clarify your post and you decided it would be fun to be coy and roll your eyes at me. If you want to call a roast a steak at your house, I couldn't care less. But this thread will be here for posterity and I feel that future readers should have accurate information.

Now I'm really getting a taste for swiss (little "s" - thanks, TL) steak. Off to the store. Hopefully they have some cube steak.

OK, kids, we're done now. Play nice please.

And now I REALLY need some round steak.

I Googled Swiss steak and yes, many of them are made with tomato products. It seems that there are two quite different beef dishes that go by the name Swiss steak. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_steak'

"The name does not refer to Switzerland, but instead to the process of "swissing", which refers to fabric or other materials being pounded or run through rollers in order to soften it." That's the one I know. Learned something new today.
Thanks for that I always assumed it was a grilled steak with a slice of gruyere cheese on it. Durr!

I'm not asking you to, dude. I asked you to clarify your post and you decided it would be fun to be coy and roll your eyes at me. If you want to call a roast a steak at your house, I couldn't care less. But this thread will be here for posterity and I feel that future readers should have accurate information.

Now I'm really getting a taste for swiss (little "s" - thanks, TL) steak. Off to the store. Hopefully they have some cube steak.

The cut I use is also called a steak, dude.

Chuck steak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree, future readers should have accurate information.

Last edited:
Stop with the sniping already. If you want to be contrary take it to PM, let the rest of us have a good day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom