Anyone make Swiss Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am the opposite. If I order a meal that contains gravy I ask that they leave it off, or ask for just a light portion of gravy. I would like it if I could sop it up with bread, but since I have to avoid bread, I avoid the gravy also.

Carol, I too am a diabetic. Have been for more than 20 years. Because of my crazy hours and the way I eat or never eat, my doctor took me off my medication. So now I control it by diet alone. Sure, carbs are low on my list of foods I eat, but I don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy. I choose a baked 'tater over mashed, I don't like bread and I control the amount of pasta and other carbs. I wouldn't suggest the way I eat or the hours I keep to anyone. For I am crazy. I do what I want, when I want. I have no job to go to, no husband to cook for and can take a nap anytime I want. But I do have small helpings of foods I like and always have. I guess it is to each their own, but I refuse to deprive myself. :angel:

Too bad we all live so far apart. Wouldn't it be fun to have a dining club. We could all make our versions of one thing and do it pot luck style. Like a chili cook off! This month: Swiss Steak. Next month turkey and dressing (I know there are millions of dressing/stuffing versions.)

I do mine that way too PrincessFiona, :chef: :) except I use a little oil (or all oil) in the butter to stop it burning) sometimes, depending on what I am having it with I add some red wine. I think the secret is the slow caramelisation of the onions really, don't you?

Absolutely and I don't cheat by adding sugar to speed the process,

Too bad we all live so far apart. Wouldn't it be fun to have a dining club. We could all make our versions of one thing and do it pot luck style. Like a chili cook off! This month: Swiss Steak. Next month turkey and dressing (I know there are millions of dressing/stuffing versions.)

That would be fun.

Take me with you. When I eat out in a restaurant, I don't order a dish that doesn't include gravy. And I want extra on the side. :angel:

I am the opposite. If I order a meal that contains gravy I ask that they leave it off, or ask for just a light portion of gravy. I would like it if I could sop it up with bread, but since I have to avoid bread, I avoid the gravy also.
I got used to asking servers in restos if I could have my food with no gravy. Used to be that most resto gravy had MSG and I get the MSG "headache".

I make gravy at home, but certainly not most of the time. The first time I had meatloaf with gravy, it was a friend who made the meatloaf. It was dry and needed the gravy. My meatloaf doesn't need gravy. I sorta got it in my head that gravy is often used to hide the fact that the food is kinda dry.

I got used to asking servers in restos if I could have my food with no gravy. Used to be that most resto gravy had MSG and I get the MSG "headache".

I make gravy at home, but certainly not most of the time. The first time I had meatloaf with gravy, it was a friend who made the meatloaf. It was dry and needed the gravy. My meatloaf doesn't need gravy. I sorta got it in my head that gravy is often used to hide the fact that the food is kinda dry.

Or the cook and/or someone in their family has chewing and swallowing problems. That's why more gravy in our house now.

Or the cook and/or someone in their family has chewing and swallowing problems. That's why more gravy in our house now.

Or, the family simply loves gravy and thickened sauces. Poorly cooked meat is not helped by gravy. Actually poorly cooked meat ruins a good gravy or thickened sauce for me. But even then, the meat is secondary to a good gravy. (maybe because I used to be a vegetarian?!?)

I don't put gravy on my meatloaf - I put it on the mashed potatoes and sop it up with the dinner rolls! :mrgreen:

Carol, I too am a diabetic. Have been for more than 20 years. Because of my crazy hours and the way I eat or never eat, my doctor took me off my medication. So now I control it by diet alone. Sure, carbs are low on my list of foods I eat, but I don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy. I choose a baked 'tater over mashed, I don't like bread and I control the amount of pasta and other carbs. I wouldn't suggest the way I eat or the hours I keep to anyone. For I am crazy. I do what I want, when I want. I have no job to go to, no husband to cook for and can take a nap anytime I want. But I do have small helpings of foods I like and always have. I guess it is to each their own, but I refuse to deprive myself. :angel:

Addie, there is no food that I pass up totally because of my diabetes. Bread is my main problem because I like it so much that once I start eating it I won't stop. So I pick and choose when I will eat bread, when it's desired the most. I can remember pre-diabetes, baking home-made bread and having the first loaf gone before it even cooled. Still warm, so the butter melts in.

And I do like gravy on some things, but most restaurant gravies leave something to be desired. I always get gravy on mashed potatoes, but with some meats, I want to taste the meat, not the gravy on it.

Addie, there is no food that I pass up totally because of my diabetes. Bread is my main problem because I like it so much that once I start eating it I won't stop. So I pick and choose when I will eat bread, when it's desired the most. I can remember pre-diabetes, baking home-made bread and having the first loaf gone before it even cooled. Still warm, so the butter melts in.

And I do like gravy on some things, but most restaurant gravies leave something to be desired. I always get gravy on mashed potatoes, but with some meats, I want to taste the meat, not the gravy on it.

I know what you mean by having the homemade bread gone before it even cooled. Same problem in my house. The kids waited in the kitchen for it to come out of the oven. On the other hand, I don't like bread. Very rarely do I eat it and then it has to be whole wheat or oatmeal. Some kind of dark bread. :angel:

That sounds like pot roast to me.

Nope, pot roast would have carrots, potatoes and other root vegis. At least our version would. Our version of swiss steak is just that, our version. Why don't you check on one of Alton Brown's versions which is similar to ours. Better yet, just google it and you will find most versions use tomatoes of some type.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nope, pot roast would have carrots, potatoes and other root vegis. At least our version would. Our version of swiss steak is just that, our version. Why don't you check on one of Alton Brown's versions.:rolleyes:
Do you remove those bones from the chuck and pound it or get it cubed?

Do you remove those bones from the chuck and pound it or get it cubed?

No, leaving the bone in adds great flavor, IMO. It cooks to the "fall off the bone stage". The meat is removed and the fat gets skimmed. The sauce is great over mashed potatoes.:yum:

Nope, pot roast would have carrots, potatoes and other root vegis. At least our version would. Our version of swiss steak is just that, our version. Why don't you check on one of Alton Brown's versions which is similar to ours. Better yet, just google it and you will find most versions use tomatoes of some type.:rolleyes:

I found a recipe online for making swiss steak using chuck roast and I must admit, it looks quite tasty. Now I'm going to have to make some swiss steak.

Slow Cooker Recipe | Swiss Steak with Veggies

No, leaving the bone in adds great flavor, IMO. It cooks to the "fall off the bone stage". The meat is removed and the fat gets skimmed. The sauce is great over mashed potatoes.:yum:
Yeah, bones do add great flavour. But what makes it a Swiss steak?

Yeah, bones do add great flavour. But what makes it a Swiss steak?

What doesn't make it a swiss steak? Along with any number of common names for food, that the origins are lost in memory? You google swiss steak and you get many versions, of which most use tomato products. In my family, it has been called swiss steak for generations.

New England pot roast does, but it's not the only kind of pot roast. I meant that Swiss steak uses a steak-like cut of meat rather than an entire roast. If you're slicing the roast into steaks beforehand, then sorry, I didn't get that from your previous post.

Back
Top Bottom