Baked beans using ground beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
Has anyone ever had or made this before? I had in at a BBQ that we had, someone brought it in a crockpot. It was very hearty but it added a new flavor to your basic baked beans....

Yes but not very often, when we use to have potlucks at work, my boss always asked me to bring the beans with the beef !!

I have eaten it like this but I have never made it. It does change the whole "mood" of baked beans, doesn't it?

How funny Qsis that they just had this conversation and I didn't even know it yet I was thinking about the same or similar thing!
I tried making the pork and beans with ground beef tonight but it was not what I remembered.....obviously they used a different kind of beans...I guess I'll have to do trial and error.....can't ask the person who made them because she was only then just introduced to me and she didn't turn out to be a very nice woman:ermm:

I use several different kinds of beans...pork and beans with the juice, Great Northern Beans, Chili Beans, butter beans, limas, and cannelli.
If you want the recipe, send me a PM and I'll post it.

kinda reminds me of chili...

But not chili at all.

Baked beans with baked bean flavors (ketchup, mustard, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, a bit of thick bbq sauce, beans of course :rolleyes: and throw in some already cooked ground beef then bake until thick - and lots of chopped onions). Roughly...that is close anyway.

Edited to say I just found this recipe - maybe you can take a look and go from there. I hate it when you can't get a wonderful recipe!!!!! :-(

Baked beans with baked bean flavors (ketchup, mustard, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, a bit of thick bbq sauce, beans of course :rolleyes: and throw in some already cooked ground beef then bake until thick - and lots of chopped onions). Roughly...that is close anyway.

Yep ... pork-n-beans lack the flavors and sweetness of baked beans. Using one instead of the other will give you similar dishes with significantly different flavors.

If you want a basic "quick" dish - you can used canned baked beans - you can add a little brown sugar if not sweet enough. If you want to use pork-n-beans - you need to gussy up the flavor a little more with some sauteed chopped smoked bacon, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, chopped onion, etc.

If you want something "slow cooked" - you can just brown up the ground beef and onions, drain, and add to a pot along with the rest of the ingredients for made-from-scratch baked beans - either baked in the oven or a crock pot.

Michael, when I don't want to make my own baked beans I use the Bush's - mix some flavors and still add all those things I mentioned. It turns out pretty good! Pork & Beans - ICK! :LOL:

after tonight I agree with you KE...no more pork and beans!! But I have always liked Bushes and what is the other brand...BW? I just add in stuff like onions bacon and sometimes brown sugar. I was looking for an ultra quick and easy tonight and it backfired....although my DD enjoyed it mixed in jasmine rice!

My MIL makes "Calico Beans".... sounds the same as Constance's...
I made them once and I can't find the recipe..... thanks for reminding me because I've been wanting to make them again.
I'll see her at work tomorrow and maybe she remembers it off the top of her head, she makes them alot. If not, she can email it to me.

Suzi, KE posted a link at the top to a recipe that sounded the same as Contance's...is that the same as you are thinking of?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom