Beef and Burghul dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hiya

This is an easy recipe (especially if you use a pressure cooker). It's Middle Eastern.

1. Beef (in cubes with fat removed) - about 600gms (or more if u like more meat)
2. 2 medium sized eggplants chopped up into cubes (about 1 inch)
3. A big onion sliced into long pieces (about 1/2 cm across).
4. salt and pepper
5. 3 cups of burghul

You can make the same recipe in a normal pot but will need to adjust times for it as I use a pressure cooker.

- Brown beef in some olive oil in the pressure cooker pan (or a normal pot). Once it is cooked a bit add the onions and continue cooking it for a further couple of minutes
- Add 3 cups of water, about 1 heaped tsp of salt (or however much you like) and 1 tsp of pepper (or more).
- Put the pressure cooker lid on, put it on for 8-10 minutes and then release the pressure when it is done and open it up.
- Whilst the meat is cooking, get a heavy based pan and put that on low-medium and melt some butter (1-2 tbsp) or olive oil if u want to be healthier. Add the eggplant and mix it in the butter (the eggplant absorbs the oil/butter so add a bit more if it is going to burn). Cook it so it gets a nice golden colour on the outside.
- Once you take the lid off the pressure cooker, add in the eggplant, an extra 2 cups of water and the 3 cups of burghul. Mix it up and put the lid back on and pressure cook for a further 5 minutes.

If you did this is a normal pot you would probably cook the meat for 1/2 an hour, add in the eggplant and burghul and cook for about 15 minutes further till the burghul is cooked (you would probably need an extra cup of water for a normal pot too as burghul is usually 2 cups of water to 1 cup of burghul).

Eat this with yoghurt and cucumber mix

- peel and slice up the cucumber into small pieces (you don't need to peel it if u don't want to)
- add to yoghurt
- put salt and a bit of crushed garlic (or garlic powder if u have no fresh garlic) to taste
- I also add a bit of red chilli powder and some cumin and a little bit of water to thin the yoghurt just slightly

The yoghurt/cucumber is a must for this dish.

Enjoy! And please excuse my bad recipe skills!

Yep I think it is the same thing -I used the term in Arabic.

Just found this through google:

Question Could you please tell me what burghul is, where I can buy it and how to prepare it for tabbouleh?
L. Abraham, Macquarie Fields, NSW
Answer
Burghul, also known as bulghur wheat, is a “rice staple” used in meals from the middle-east in ways similar to couscous. Originating from the Persian word for “bruised grain”, burghul is wheat that has been firstly cooked (either par-boiled or steamed), the outer layers of bran removed, then ground into various sized grains.
It is not the same as cracked wheat where the bran is not removed. It is most commonly eaten in the classic Lebanese dish tabbouleh – a salad of burghul, finely chopped tomato, onion, mint, parsley and sometimes garlic.

Back
Top Bottom