Beef Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loft

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I got some beef bones from my local butcher to make some stock for the first time, and while they look fine, the smell of them when I open the bag is pretty bad! Not a "bad meat" smell, just a really musky, strange smell! Is this normal for beef bones? Should I still use them or should I just leave them and get rid of them?

Thanks.

I don't know how others feel but I'm one of those who are sensitive to smells and frankly I'd be afraid that smell would affect the taste of your stock..I would get rid of it and find bones at a different butchers. That must be so dissapointing. Hope it works out for you.
kadesma

Mine always stink. I don't know what it is, but I think that's just how they are. They made an excellent broth.

unless they are rank use them quickly as possible...........we've learned to put them in the oven to get nice and brown..this is a great start to a homemade beef broth and wonderful soups as a result......we got this tip of browning the bones first by Discuss Cooking.......my husband won't use any other method now,,,,,,,,so we roast the beef bones until a nice dark brown and then place them in water with onions, garlic, laurel leaves or bay leave, peppercorns, fresh parsly.............get a nice broth going........you may have to skim the yech off the top........no mistaking yech.........cook it down for about an hour and then you're ready to add a wonderful tasting broth as a base for any soup..........is it a lot of work......yep..........is it worth it........depends on you........we love homemade soups so ya it worth it....our soups last us a week so yes, it's worth have a great broth...now if I could just install a real brick oven in my apt. to make some wonderful Uzbekhstan bread...........

Back
Top Bottom