"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Honey Badger

We do have a Costco near us.We had a membership there just so we could buy our meats,cheeses.But the quality of the meats they were selling was becoming questionable.

We now just buy locally from a butcher who can tell us exactly where the beef came from.How it was raised and with what.No hormones.

Costco doesn't need my money.They don't even know my name.

If I have to wait it's ok.From everyone's comments Brisket cooked correctly will be worth the time.

Munky.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Master Chef

Here's My Brisket !

MARINATED BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET
Yield: 6 servings
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons each: minced onion, cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Coarsely cracked black pepper
1 beef brisket, about 3 1/2 pounds
2 large onions, sliced
5 carrots, peeled, cut in 1-inch chunks
5 medium red potatoes, unpeeled
Salt
2 small bags radishes, ends trimmed
Combine ketchup, water, onion, vinegar, horseradish, mustard and
pepper. Place brisket in a shallow glass baking dish. Pour marinade
over; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Scatter onions on top of meat.
Pour Marinade over onions. Cover and
bake 2 1/2 hours. Add carrots, radishes and potatoes; cover and continue
baking until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Add salt
and pepper to taste. Cut meat into thin slices. Use the pan juices
as sauce.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by attie View Post
For us it is mostly 'corned brisket' [pickled? brined?] boiled and used cold on sandwiches.
Wayne, if you have never enjoyed brisket that is not "corned," it's a completely different flavor. When I was a little girl I didn't realize they were the same cut of meat.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I'm confused. Brisket is cheap????????????????????????????? You can't buy a real brisket here for less than $30. It's crazy expensive. I'm definitely not talking corned beef. I'm talking big old beef brisket. I would love to win the lottery so I could buy a brisket but that's not likely to happen since you can't win if you don't play. :)
Old 02-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Do remember to cut it against the grain......I always like to put a little Kitchen Bouquet in the marinade....just gives the meat a healthier look than the gray it sometimes looks like. It's a most deelish meat....I also like to thicken the gravy, and like to serve it with roasted veggies....and/or mashed potatoes, or, potato latkes (pancakes)
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
Honey Badger

I thought the brisket's were those big ones to.

DDD's had an episode on last night it featured brisket.It was huge.

Those are the one's I was referring to.The 3 pounders I would have to triple.To accomplish my goal.

I'm confused now to...

Munky.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I thought the brisket's were those big ones to.

DDD's had an episode on last night it featured brisket.It was huge.

Those are the one's I was referring to.The 3 pounders I would have to triple.To accomplish my goal.

I'm confused now to...

Munky.
At our markets they are HUGE. Huge huge that's why they cost no less than $30 and generally way more. Forget three pounds, these things are like three FEET long. They're crazy big.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Honey Badger

Crazy big is good..I'm feeding teenagers here. :)

What is the average weight of the crazy brisket?

Munky.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Brisket is a relatively inexpensive cut of beef, probably because it's rather tough unless properly prepared. You can buy a whole brisket, the first or flat cut, which is more commonly available, or the second cut or point, which is the fattier part. I usually buy the first cut.

This is a very good recipe, producing a pot-roast style brisket that's very similar to what my Jewish mother-in-law used to make (brisket is a fixture of Jewish-American cooking), and it's simple to the point of being nearly idiot-proof.

FRIDAY NIGHT BRISKET

1 (4- to 5-pound) brisket
2 (1-ounce) packets onion soup mix
1 cups Heinz Chili Sauce
6 cloves garlic
1 pounds carrots

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the meat fat-side up in a large Dutch oven. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the meat. Cover with the chile sauce and 2 cups of water, or more if needed to almost cover the meat. Crush the garlic cloves and add to the liquid (they will dissolve, so no need to chop).

2. Cover the pan and cook for 4 hours. Check every 30 minutes to be sure there is sufficient liquid in pan. Let the brisket cool for about 45 minutes and refrigerate overnight. Then skim the fat off the meat.

3. About 1 hours before you wish to serve the brisket, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the brisket to a cutting board and slice it thinly across the grain. Trim, peel and cut the carrots into 1-by-2-inch sticks. Cook the brisket and carrots covered for 1 hour, until the brisket is heated through and the carrots are fork tender.

(Alternatively, the brisket can be completed the same day: While the brisket is cooling for 45 minutes, trim, peel and cut the carrots into 1-by-2-inch sticks. Remove the brisket and slice it thinly across the grain. Skim the fat off the top of the liquid, add the sliced brisket back to the pan with the carrots, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 more hour, or until carrots are fork tender.) Serve on a platter.

Each of 10 servings: 346 calories; 44 grams protein; 18 grams
carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 9 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 87 mg. cholesterol; 1,173 mg. sodium.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Brisket is a relatively inexpensive cut of beef, probably because it's rather tough unless properly prepared. You can buy a whole brisket, the first or flat cut, which is more commonly available, or the second cut or point, which is the fattier part. I usually buy the first cut.
This is contingent upon where you live. Brisket is by far and away NOT inexpensive in certain markets.

Tags
None