Beef Brisket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, Michael, I can't edit my post. It shouldnt' say in "only" ~ a lot of people I know define cheap and inexpensive as different entities. I shouldn't have said "only" in my reply. My apologies.

Our moonshine is cheaper! :ermm:

LOL - see if I ever share another confidence from my youth with you! A three day liberty and all I remember is the first 8-hours! Okay, I think it was 8 hours - I remember going to Beal Street but I don't remember leaving ... But, is NC shine really higher octane than TN shine? :LOL:

Woo-hooo ... long live NASCAR!!!! Long live The Bandit!
car-009.gif

Cheap and inexpensive are relative terms Callisto. When butchers got primal halves of beef - they had a set number of things they could cut from it ... some things like brisket, skirt/flank/hanger steaks, ribs, shanks, tails did not sell as well as the T-Bone, Porterhouse, Strip, etc. steaks and roasts. Therefore, in order to sell them, they were sold at a much lower price per pound than the more desirable cuts. These were what you will sometimes see referred to as "butcher" cuts - if he couldn't sell them he simply took them home to eat himself.

Now that butchers are getting as hard to find as hen's teeth - grocery stores are buying the cuts from distribution centers or suppliers that sell the most - what were once the cheap cuts still are, but they are probably being shipped somewhere else ... and if you want them they are a "limited availability" item - so the price goes up.

Prices vary by country, by region, by state, by season - they also vary from store chain to chain, store to store, location to location even within the same city! I can find brisket ranging fron $1.29 - $3.99 /lb every day - depending on which store I go to. On sale - it can range from $0.59 - $1.89 ... again depending on the store and the part of town where I shop.

I'm sorry that all meat prices in general seem to be higher for you in NC than they were in CA. But, I bet you get better prices on pork.

Or maybe she should stay out of Harris Teeters!!!

I don't eat pork ... but regardless, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL meat that I eat, chicken, turkey, beef, that is considerably more expensive than it was in Cali. ...

Okay - we get the point. Now, you might want to take this into consideration ... beef prices are going to be higher where you now live than they were in Cali because the area you now live in doesn't raise beef cattle!

The MD, VA, NC, SC area is know for it's pork - the "other" white meat.

...Dollar for dollar California meat prices were by far less than this state. It's amazing to me that NC meat is so much more expensive than CA...
That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved from southern California to South Carolina--the high prices for both meat and produce.

If the briskets at your store are that huge, maybe you could go in on one with a few friends. They will cut it into pieces for you at the store.

:)Barbara

A good brisket, boiled and then slathered in honey mustard and broiled, coupled with colcannon, extra cabbage and Irish Soda Bread. This meal was recently being cooked in lots of kitchens. Happy St. Paddy's Day again!

That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved from southern California to South Carolina--the high prices for both meat and produce.

If the briskets at your store are that huge, maybe you could go in on one with a few friends. They will cut it into pieces for you at the store.

:)Barbara
Thanks Barbara ~ the other comments are so out there from what I said they don't even make sense. I really appreciate the support.

The What? MD? I'm looking at a map of North Carolina and can't for the life of me figure out what MD is other than toilet paper.

Sorry to confuse you - when I said, "The MD, VA, NC, SC area is know for it's pork - the "other" white meat" I was using the standard 2-letter state abbreviations adopted by the US Postal Service about 40 some odd years ago and are now the commonly accepted abbreviations. Official USPS State Abbreviations

MD = Maryland
VA = Virginia
NC = North Carolina
SC = South Carolina

FWIW: The standard 2-letter abbreviation for Toilet Paper is TP, not MD.

If I had been using a 2-letter abbrevition for toilet paper for someone in North Carolina who was experiencing a culture shock of having to move from indoor plumbing in CA to a "Cresent Moon" privy I might have used SC for "Sears Catalog", YP for "Yellow Pages", TB for "Telephone Book" or even NP for "News Paper". Had we been talking about wine I might have used MD as a reference for "Mogan David" wine - aka "Mad Dog".

But, we were talking about brisket.

Last edited:
Now I am just starting to look for a corned brisket here in Panamá. Any suggestions? Riba Smith, El Rey, Super 99. Don't know of a good butcher. And the beat goes on. :)

But, that is not true, is it Callisto? What about (just to name a few):

ALDI at 132 E Plaza Dr
Food Lion has 5-6 locations
Lowes Food at 631 Brawley School Rd
Wal-Mart Super Center at 169 Norman Station Blvd

Then you have butcher shops - Mooresville Meat Center at 2110 Charlotte Hwy, and Mclaughlin's Farm House Country at 15725 Mooresville Rd - and I didn't even mention the three that have pork in their names.

Sorry - there is just no way 60 NASCAR teams are going to have their headquarters in a town with only one grocery store!

I don't think anyone was trying to tell you where to shop - just suggesting that you might want to check out some other available options.
I know it's something only people who live here can understand, but TOWN and Mooresville are totally different. There's our side of TOWN, and then there's the other side of Mooresville that has EVERYTHING. You'd have to have been at the last city council meeting to understand. And we only WISH we still had 60 NASCAR teams, we don't have even close to that now a days.

But ~ as to your list ~
Aldi is the nastiest place I've ever been in. I've seen corner liquor stores in Cali that were cleaner.
Food Lion's locations are in Lake Norman aka the other side of the highway with only one relatively convenient.
Walmart is Walmart and their meat is nasty.

Sorry but you don't live here so you can only assume what town is like.

By the way, I would love to know where you got the thought that we had any kind of butchers in Mooresville because NO ONE here knows where they are. NO ONE. I've asked more people than I can count and no one has a clue where a butcher here is so I'll believe them because they don't exist no matter what some google search says.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom