Beef Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnneHelm

Assistant Cook
Beef Brisket​

Who's jaw wouldn't drop at the sight of this?

This is very easy and very very very nummy! If you are unable to finish all of this in one sitting then you can make a pot roast or a pasta dish with a creamy red wine sauce. The more you cook a brisket the more tender it becomes.​

Ingredients
3-4 lb Brisket​
1-4 cups of Red Wine (I used Zenfendal)​
10 crushed cloves of Garlic​
1 thinly sliced Onion​
Salt and Pepper​
Olive Oil​

BAM!​

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.​

2. Place brisket in the pan or skillet. Oil your brisket working it in real well with your hands and then pour about 1-2 cups of red wine (gauge this depending on the size of the brisket, you will want about an inch in the skillet or pan) over the brisket. It is better if you use one of the garlic presses for this dish to make it easier to spread over the top of the roast, with that being said spread the garlic over the top to create a crust. Arrange your thinly sliced onions evenly around the top of the brisket then salt and pepper it.​
3. Cover with tin foil and cook. It takes about 2-3 hours to cook, uncover for the last hour basting every twenty minutes with the rest of the red wine.​

4. Let the brisket set for about twenty five minutes before serving.​

Beef Brisket​

Who's jaw wouldn't drop at the sight of this?

This is very easy and very very very nummy! If you are unable to finish all of this in one sitting then you can make a pot roast or a pasta dish with a creamy red wine sauce. The more you cook a brisket the more tender it becomes.​

Ingredients

3-4 lb Brisket​

1-4 cups of Red Wine (I used Zenfendal)​

10 crushed cloves of Garlic​

1 thinly sliced Onion​

Salt and Pepper​

Olive Oil​

BAM!​

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.​

2. Place brisket in the pan or skillet. Oil your brisket working it in real well with your hands and then pour about 1-2 cups of red wine (gauge this depending on the size of the brisket, you will want about an inch in the skillet or pan) over the brisket. It is better if you use one of the garlic presses for this dish to make it easier to spread over the top of the roast, with that being said spread the garlic over the top to create a crust. Arrange your thinly sliced onions evenly around the top of the brisket then salt and pepper it.​

3. Cover with tin foil and cook. It takes about 2-3 hours to cook, uncover for the last hour basting every twenty minutes with the rest of the red wine.​

4. Let the brisket set for about twenty five minutes before serving.​
ASIDE from the picture the recipe sounds AWESOME! The picture does NOT do that wonderful recipe justice.

AnneHelm said:
Thank you everyone! The picture was an afterthought with my cell phone :(

I think it looks fine! Zin will turn anything purple. Think of all the antioxidents! :)

one can make "knishes" with leftover brisket...by itself or mixed with some of the potatoes that you may have roasted along with it....very, very, yummy

Thanks so much for the red wine/brisket recipe. Look forward to trying.

Here's another way to do a brisket that's just dead simple, and produces a tender, wonderful roast.

Start with any size brisket, 3 pounds or over, making sure that it is of pretty even thickness and has a small thin layer of fat on one side.
Place it fat side up in a shallow roasting pan lined with heavy duty aluminum foil and completely cover the meat with your favorite bottled barbecue sauce. (We use Sweet Baby Rays).
Tightly cover the pan with another layer of the foil and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours.
That's it. You will have a wonderful, tender brisket with a delicious gravy. Just make sure to slice it thin, slicing across the grain. This is one dish the whole family will love...and it just doesn't get any easier. Enjoy!

We cook our brisket the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. That way you can get all the fat off the top before reheating it (again with a foil lid).

I like to make pulled beef sandwiches with leftover brisket. :pig:

It's just about "that time" of year for brisket, too! Bring it on.:)

Yeah, it's about time I threw a brisket on the smoker. I love the meat in chili.

Last edited:
yes, but note : this is not a smoked Brisket..

This is a Jewish oven basted Brisket...

I got fired up about this yesterday, I put a whole brisket into my slow cooker with one whole bottle of Appricot Jelly..

it's been resting the fridge all nite, and we're having it tonight with nice rye bread...

This is still how my Czeck Mom still makes her's

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

yes, but note : this is not a smoked Brisket..

This is a Jewish oven basted Brisket...

I got fired up about this yesterday, I put a whole brisket into my slow cooker with one whole bottle of Appricot Jelly..

it's been resting the fridge all nite, and we're having it tonight with nice rye bread...

This is still how my Czeck Mom still makes her's

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Funny how the smokers always overtake a thread about brisket!

For many Eastern European Jews, brisket with a sweet overtone, is the protein of choice for the New Year's celebration (Rosh Ha'Shanah) which starts this year in the evening of Sept. 28th.

Eric, the Apricot Jam sounds awfully good. But then I think I like apricot jam with just about anything. ;)

Here's our family recipe for Brisket.

Jacobs’ Family Brisket

This is the recipe—first devised by my Aunt Ruth, then improvised on by any number of family cooks—that is forever etched in stone as our family’s traditional Rosh Ha’Shanah Dinner. The major caveat: it’s much better made a day ahead and reheated ­ that also gives you the chance to chill the gravy so you can degrease it completely.
6 to 8 generous servings
5 pounds boneless brisket of beef
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 red onions, sliced
4 whole stalks celery (including leaves) coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 cup bottled chili sauce
1 can beer

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the brisket fat side up in an oiled roaster large enough to hold it comfortably. Season with salt and pepper. Place the onions and celery over the beef. Mix the brown sugar with the chili sauce and spread on top the vegetables. Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of the pan.
2. Put the pan in the preheated oven. Allow 1 hour per pound of meat for roasting. Roast uncovered for about the first 30 minutes, basting frequently with the pan drippings, until the meat is well browned.

3. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F. and cover the pan. After 3 ½ hours total cooking time, pour the beer over the meat and re-cover the pan. Cook 1 ½ hours longer, or until very tender.

4. Remove the meat from the pan and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Strain the gravy into a bowl and refrigerate overnight to solidify the fat that will rise to the top.

5. The next day, slice the meat and reheat it in the de-fatted gravy.
Add ½ cup more beer if gravy is too thick.
Teacher’s Tip: If, like me, you are allergic to beer, an equal amount of red wine, such as a Côte du Rhône, can be successfully substituted. If you¹d like to avoid the alcohol altogether, try a red grape juice or 100% cranberry juice.

one can make "knishes" with leftover brisket...by itself or mixed with some of the potatoes that you may have roasted along with it....very, very, yummy
My Mum used to make the best Kishke that cooked along with the brisket. When I was a kid I just ate the kishke, gravy and mashed pots.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom