Beef Carbonade Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This is my first try at making this dish..I have three different recipes and don't know whch way to jump here..One says to use red wine, the other two say dark beer, the spices and seasoning differ with each recipe so I've picked one that the seasonings used are garlic,onions bay leaf,beef broth, brown sugar..two others say to add cinnamon and clove..Help which would you opt for? I plan to use this tomorrow and put it over polenta and am really confused here.
kadesma, not much of a stew person so I need help:LOL:

Thanks Andy and Katie, beer it is..I was at a complete loss trying to decide..
kadesma:)

Kadesma the dish originated in france and dark French beer has all ways been their choice. I've tried it a time or two and it does not ring my chimes att all good luck

Kadesma the dish originated in france and dark French beer has all ways been their choice. I've tried it a time or two and it does not ring my chimes att all good luck
Hi Dave, I got it started and so far it smells pretty good. I still have cooking time on it and plan to put it over polenta tomorrow. DH tasted it and likes the flavor, me, I'm not so sure.I've never been a beef stew type eater. Mom use to make stew once every two weeks and I made sure I had something else to have..This might be better as no veggies in it nor stringy stew meat..I used a chuch roast all cut up and browned in butter so the meat does taste a lot better..So tomorrow we shall see...:LOL:
kadesma

Kadesma,
Please let us know how it turn's out. I think it sounds great.
Thanks Lyndalou, I tasted the gravy that mine is cooking in and I do like it. I'm hoping that the polenta works well with it, we are polenta nuts here:LOL: Will let you know how the meat is..I used a chuck roast.
kadesma

I didn't know that what I was cooking had a name! :LOL: I like to take chunks of chuck, flour and brown, then saute onions, everything back in the pot and cover with a stout beer. It's got to cook completely for the beer taste to "settle down" and taste like a gravy. I added portobello mushrooms one time but they picked up too much of the hops (I think it was the hops anyway) from the beer, not good! I leave those out now. kadesma - it will be wonderful with polenta!

Thanks Elf, I have a batch of sliced mushrooms all sauteed but set aside..I plan to just keep them seperate and spoon them over the gravy as we serve ourselves...I just used plain old white button mushrooms but that should work, If not I'll just go hide:LOL:
kads

Thanks Elf, I have a batch of sliced mushrooms all sauteed but set aside..I plan to just keep them seperate and spoon them over the gravy as we serve ourselves...I just used plain old white button mushrooms but that should work, If not I'll just go hide:LOL:
kads

Are you kidding? Button mushrooms nice and caramelized!!!! Nothing better cj!

Back
Top Bottom