Beef Cube Steak And Gravy - REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
My husband likes me to make my own gravy when I fix cube steaks, but when I am camping this makes it a little easier. This is great for people that have a hard time making gravy. Great in the Dutch oven.
Enjoy! Debbie
_____

BEEF CUBE STEAK AND GRAVY

img_557726_0_cd84250896c53b2adbd722e0f0d8f12f.jpg

4 to 6 BEEF CUBE STEAK
2 tablespoon(s) OIL
1/2 teaspoon(s) BUTTER
1 cup(s) FLOUR
1 teaspoon(s) SALT
1 teaspoon(s) ONION POWDER
1 teaspoon(s) GARLIC POWDER
1 teaspoon(s) BLACK PEPPER
1 can(s) CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
1 cup(s) WATER
1/2 cup(s) WHIPPING CREAM; Or Milk.
_____

In a plate or plastic bag add flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
Add cube steak to flour mixture and coat well.
Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan.
Add cube steak and brown on both sides.
Remove cube steak and drain most of the grease out of pan, leaving just a little grease in the pan.
Add the can of mushroom soup, water and whipping cream or milk to the pan and mix well; season with some pepper.
Add cube steak back to pan; simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes.
Turn cube steaks once during simmering.
*If you want thinner gravy add more milk.
_____

My cube steak story.

A friend was getting ready to buy another 1/2 a beef. He had about 6 lbs of cube steaks left and invited us over for a party.

I love cubed steak and gravy. I asked how him how he was going to cook them, I did not approve of his method and shoved him out of his own kitchen. I floured, seasoned and fried up the steaks, took the drippings and used and entire gallon of milk making the gravy(large skillet). When he saw how much gravy he said "we will never eat that much gravy". At the end of the meal they were taking pieces of bread and wiping out the last of the gravy in the bottom of the skillet.

Cubed steak gravy is in the top 3 of the gravies in my opinion. Good fried chicken gravy is probably the top and I would have to really think to pick one out for the third, there are so many....

In some parts, a cube steak may be called a minute steak. The cube steak is popular because it cooks up tender. Cube steak usually starts out as round steak. To make a cube steak, the butcher will run the meat through a butcher's tenderizer once or twice, turning it almost into hamburger looking meat that holds together better then hamburger. They also make pork cube steak.

LadyCook61, Thanks!

In some parts, a cube steak may be called a minute steak. The cube steak is popular because it cooks up tender. Cube steak usually starts out as round steak. To make a cube steak, the butcher will run the meat through a butcher's tenderizer once or twice, turning it almost into hamburger looking meat that holds together better then hamburger. They also make pork cube steak.

LadyCook61, Thanks!
The cube steak does look like what you described.

I make cube steak often but with no breading and a brown beef gravy made from drippings, flour and beef broth and a touch of milk. One of my fav meals. Need to try Ol blues sometime soon. :)

Gravy

I make cube steak often but with no breading and a brown beef gravy made from drippings, flour and beef broth and a touch of milk. One of my fav meals. Need to try Ol blues sometime soon. :)

I guess I will have to try Ol blue's Mushroom Gravy.
I have tried for years to get a good gravy from cube steak. The nonstick pan leaves no flavored drippings. I even tried a cast iron skillet witn the same results-- A salty, peppry, Wall paper paste!. The use of a beef bullion cube may be the answer to give it a meat flavor.

TIA,
Charlie

I have tried for years to get a good gravy from cube steak. The nonstick pan leaves no flavored drippings. I even tried a cast iron skillet witn the same results-- A salty, peppry, Wall paper paste!. The use of a beef bullion cube may be the answer to give it a meat flavor.

TIA,
Charlie

I hope this works for you. Enjoy! Debbie

TIA,
Charlie

Um... are you using any oil/shortening/lard etc to fry the cube steaks in? if so there should be drippings. If the gravy tastes like paste, you aren't letting your flour brown long enough before adding the milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom