Beef "Flat Iron" Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
An excellent grilling steak from the Beef Boneless Shoulder Clod

Here I have two pieces of Boneless Beef Chuck Top Blade Roasts. This muscle runs through the Beef Shoulder and and the Chuck. I'm going to cut down thru each one horizontally to remove the connective tissue. We'll end up with what is called "Flat Iron" Steaks. You'll notice that the face of these roasts resemble a flattened 'Ying Yang' sign.
22650294_75aeb7a81a_o.jpg

I'm going to make the first cut. Slip the knife over the connective tissue, keeping as close to it as you can. Once you get it started, hold the upper piece of meat with your hand and pull as you slide the knife down toward the end.
22650295_49d69fff82_o.jpg

Once you've removed the top piece, flip over and do the same thing. Discard the connective tissue, it's not worth doing anything with.
22650296_71dd1fcdd7_o.jpg

There, two perfect little Flat Iron Steaks, approx 8 oz each. Cut in half, if you wish. You can remove the little pieces of gristle, but most of the smaller ones will cook away, or fall off during grilling.
22650297_dd447930f0_o.jpg

All done! Eight steaks total. These are GREAT on the grill. Hot and fast, don't over cook. Enjoy!!!!
22650298_62c55f4174_o.jpg

It has been nice to see this cut gaining popularity in the kitchen, though like flank and skirt, it's popularity has driven the price up. I love the cut.

Flat iron steak is really getting popular, and deservedly so. I agree that it's a shame that the price has risen along with the popularity.:mad:

I love the Jack Daniels flat irons at TGI Fridays. Chuck is one of my favorite cuts, but the only time I have tried to cook them at home so far didn't turn out well. The meat had a very mushy texture.

I love the Jack Daniels flat irons at TGI Fridays. Chuck is one of my favorite cuts, but the only time I have tried to cook them at home so far didn't turn out well. The meat had a very mushy texture.

Not sure how you are cooking them, but they need to be cooked hot and quick.

Very cool, good stuff! I almost lost you for a second thinking there should have been 4, then I realized you had cut each one in half to make em all around 4oz or so.

great! thanks aab.

keep the pictures and lessons coming. butchering an animal properly is really an art.

Back
Top Bottom