"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Half Baked

I have only made it sliced thin and quickly grilled but some of those slow cooked recipes look good.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I've smoked it low and slow till tender. It was really good and the kids liked it even after I told them what it was. They didn't care, it was good.

I cleaned it, smoked in qtrs. at 225-250, then sliced. Very good flavor. I have two in my freezer ready.

It's well liked here.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Never had it.

I was watching a show "Alaska, The Last Frontier" and one of the clan fathers raises beef. During the butchering, they light a fire, set up a grate, slice the heart into steaks and grill them on the spot.
No braising. Just grilled like a steak or chop.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Any one here ever cooked one?

I got one from my dear father at thanksgiving. it is in my freezer.

Google recipes seem mainly either make soup, or shish kabob it.

Dear Spouse is going out of town next weekend and would never eat heart, so I,m "Batching" it on my own and figure now is my chance to cook something wierd!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Hi, Eric. I haven't seen a beef heart (or ox heart as it's usually called over here) for years but my mother used to cook them.

After cleaning the heart and removing the outer fat, the tubes and what Ma called the "strings", she stuffed it with sage and onion stuffing and sat it on a bed of veg, a clove or three of garlic and a bouquet garni, with stock up to the top of the veg layer. She pot roasted/braised it in a low oven (about 300F/150C/gas mark2) in a stoneware oven-proof dish with a close-fitting lid for a couple of hours or longer until tender. By the time the heart was cooked the veg were too overdone to serve as a side dish so Ma used to blend them into the cooking liquid for the gravy. Cheap nosh but delicious! I cook lamb's hearts in a similar way and vary the stuffing recipe to taste

A slow cooker would work very well for this, adjusting the cooking time, or a Le Creuset-type dutch oven on top of the stove on a very low light would work too.

As for your Dear Spouse, what she doesn't know won't hurt her, so just call it pot roast. After all the heart is just muscle the same as steak. When she raves about how good it was you can confess or just look smug while relishing the compliment.

I've read that in the States you call the internal organs of animals "variety meats". If so, it's a much better name than "offal" as we call them - too close to "awful"! Cooked properly the various bits can be absolutely delicious (with the exception of tripe - shudder!).
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Master Chef

The best beef stew is made from beef heart. Use any stew recipe you like, Make sure to cook long and slow, you'll love it.
P.S. if you search this site you'll find a simular question was asked in the past and there was tonn of good sugestions in that thread too.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The best beef stew is made from beef heart. Use any stew recipe you like, Make sure to cook long and slow, you'll love it.
P.S. if you search this site you'll find a simular question was asked in the past and there was tonn of good sugestions in that thread too.
CharlieD, you and me, we agree on what we like in our stew.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Once again I saw another show on beef heart. " Bizarre Foods" last night.

They took raw thin strips and grilled them rare. The words to describe the heart were "tender".

I thought it might be the age of the animal determining the tenderness of the heart. But in at least one occasion watching, the animal was quite old and that was the reason for butchering it.

So, what is it. Heart is tough and needs to be braised? Or is it tender enough to grill rare?
Seems we are conflicted or I am missing something.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Once again I saw another show on beef heart. " Bizarre Foods" last night.

They took raw thin strips and grilled them rare. The words to describe the heart were "tender".

I thought it might be the age of the animal determining the tenderness of the heart. But in at least one occasion watching, the animal was quite old and that was the reason for butchering it.

So, what is it. Heart is tough and needs to be braised? Or is it tender enough to grill rare?
Seems we are conflicted or I am missing something.
Even tough cuts, if cooked rare and sliced very thin are tender enough. Also, they have to be cooked against the grain. But if you overcook any meat, it gets tough. Heart and other well exercised muscles are very prone to this. Or if they are cut thick, they can still be rather chewey.

Think of liver, when prepared well, it can be so tender that it's downright creamy. Then again, I've had liver that would substitute for shoe soles. The same is true of beef brisket. Cooked rare, or even medium rare, and slice thin against the grain, it can be a wonderful meat, especially grilled. But I have had corned beef (made from brisket) that was so tough, it was nearly inedible. You couldn't even cut it with a knife. But that was on a naval ship. We often said that the navy taught their cooks to take perfectly good food and make it inedible.

So, I hope that helps clear things up a bit. Like clams, or squid, for heart, cooking is - 2 minutes or two hours. That is barely cook it, or braise it long enough to break it down.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... Also, they have to be cooked against the grain...

Please elaborate on your technique.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Please elaborate on your technique.
Ah yes, the mighty typo, it makes me seem the fool at times. That should have read "cut against the grain". Heavy sigh.

Thanks for pointing out my folly.

Tags
beef