Beef heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigAL

Sous Chef
If you haven't had beef heart, it's a must try. I've smoked it before and we all liked it.
Lately I put some in my pressure cooker with an arm roast. I chunked up the heart getting rid of all sinew.
I think I had it on high pressure for about 45-50 min.

The roast was fall apart tender, the heart was fork tender. Had someone who would not even try it and snuck a piece to her. She said "that is really good roast". Then I told her and she got mad. lol! :LOL:

Made a great French dip sandwich. The heart was the first to go and even had some of the arm roast left over that nobody ate. Even my 17 yr old daughter really liked it.

Have a good weekend everybody!
AL

Nice to see ya!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I wish I could find beef heart and tongue!

It seemed to disappear from the local markets about the same time meat started arriving as neatly trimmed vacuum packed sub-primal cuts.

When I was a kid we used to have stuffed beef heart braised or pot roasted. :yum:

Here is a recent thread with a few more ideas to try.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/beef-heart-88534.html

Hey Bea! Good to see you, too!

When I get a half beef I always ask for oxtail, bones, brisket, tongue, heart, and liver. usually the person getting the other half doesn't want that.

I still can't cook liver "right". That's just awful offal. lol

Thanks for the link!!!

Welcome back. Cook liver the way you would cook beef strogonoff, in sour cream. Quite enjoyable. Lover heart.

Love most offal...not keen on tripe. Beef Heart, made all the time when I was a kid, my sisters could not stand it...more for me. Same with liver.

Soak the liver in milk for about an hour, which gets all the gaminess out of it. Then dredge it in flour and fry it, but not too long.

Soak the liver in milk for about an hour, which gets all the gaminess out of it. Then dredge it in flour and fry it, but not too long.

I'll try the milk trick, and I agree, don't over cook it beyond pink. Over cooked, it's nasty, and like eating shoe leather. Perfectly cooked with bacon/onions/apple slices, it's delicious.

Last edited:
Good to see you all again! I'll have to try the milk and fry trick with liver. Thank you all for a nice welcome and look forward to "soak" my liver sometime while checking out what you all have been up to. ;)

For those who know Detroit style Coney Islands, there is a reason most people can't reproduce it at home. Contrary to all the internet rumors, the sauce is not made of ground up hot dogs, hamburgers, tomato sauce, or any other common ingredient. The secret is beef heart. The meat in real Detroit style sauce is beef heart - and NO tomato sauce.

As for liver, my favorite way is with a dried cherry & almond sauce. Be careful not to overcook it - it's best medium rare.

Attachments

• liver 014.jpg
    liver 014.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 244
Good to see you all again! I'll have to try the milk and fry trick with liver. Thank you all for a nice welcome and look forward to "soak" my liver sometime while checking out what you all have been up to. ;)

I sometimes soak my liver in a good pinot noir until I get fried, but beef liver I soak in milk.

I like to cook the liver in beer...we always use the pressure cooker for beef or venison heart. We would add pickling seasoning (sort of like corned beef). I am able to get beef heart at a couple of the ethnic markets. I have also ordered it from butchers and grocery stores. If you ask at the meat department, you can usually get them to order it in. Ask the price/lb first, though.

Back
Top Bottom