"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Beef liver..

I know that most people turn up their nose about eating liver and I don't expect to change any minds about that.

Now that's out of the way, there are those of us who really enjoy it once in a while. I prefer calf liver and up until last night, I haven't had it in years, although it was on the menu weekly when I was a child as I was anemic and it's a great source of iron.

The supermarkets used to sell it in those white tubs and they often contained poorly cut and uneven slices so you never knew what they contained. Now they offer a much better alternative...(see picture).
Anyway, the trick is to not over cook it or it will be tough and have a nasty texture and flavor. Simply season it with salt and pepper, dust it with flour and quick fry it till it's perfectly pink tender. Bacon grease is best, and the sides of bacon, onion and fried potatoes make it all worthwhile.

Anybody else like liver?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8050025[1].jpg
Views:	313
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	35962   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8040024[1].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	35963  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't hate it. I do like chicken livers better.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't have opportunity to have liver and onions often but, when I do, I jump at the chance..

My SIL (first wife's sister) makes the best I have ever eaten.. She makes them for me a few times a year.. She uses bacon fat and the onions and liver are delicious..

I cannot duplicate the dish and Jeannie won't eat it.. Fortunately, diners here have it on the menu, once in a while..

Ross
Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't hate it. I do like chicken livers better.

Ditto.
But calf liver is not bad either.

Best way to make beef liver is by using beefstrogonoff recipe. sauteing live in the sour cream. And never ever over cook it. Then it is not bad.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I love liver, and I have eaten beef, calves, pork, lambs, and chicken livers, more than any, because of its availability. It is also the most tender, though you do have to clean it up a lot. Beef liver is the tough one, with a lot of membranes and sinews to clean out. Pork liver is usually fairly clean, and stronger than chicken and lamb, but milder than beef. I find that those tougher ones are better braised, and the first time I tried the pork liver in chipotle sauce, I found that it needed about 40 min. of simmering to tenderize - usually made with chicken livers, they are ready after 5 or 6 min on high heat, to cook the sauce down. But was that ever delicious! The stronger flavor of the pork liver was even better, and I found this out by accident, because I threw the dish together, because some friends came over, and I had only one thing that I was going to eat.

Another thing I was just thinking about last night was a chicken liver paté, that I haven't made for years, and I don't know why! I thinking about things that I put on those rye breads that I bake, and that immediately came to mind. The recipe was from an old NYT cookbook, to give you an idea of when I started making it! It has a totally unique flavor, which comes from the épices fines, duxélles, and cognac. Also has 2 oz each of butter and cream cheese blended in with it, so it's not for someone watching their cholesterol! But ooooohhhh, is that stuff good.

Then there are those duck livers! I used to save those, when I'd cook a duck, and make a simple omelette with it the next morning. The benefits of being the chef!

I like liver so much that the first time I saw pork spleen, in an Asian market, I bought some, since it looked like liver. It was milder than even chicken livers, and was very clean - almost nothing to trim from it. But it is very mild.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting post Dave.

I've never tried livers other than beef, chicken, and duck. I like them all. We always roast several whole ducks for the holidays, and the livers make fabulous Pate'. Last season, our domestic duck order was missing the livers and I was furious. Now I'm thinking about chicken livers for classic back to the 60's Rumaki.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f.../rumaki-106255

Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really enjoy liver. I hated it as a kid. My mum tried making it different ways and with fancy sauces and I always hated it. One day, several decades ago, I was at a resto and ordered a rib steak. They grilled it over charcoal. They served the steak with a wiener and small piece of liver as an appetizer. Those were charcoal grilled too. I was going to skip the liver, but decided to give it a taste. I was shocked. It was delicious. My mother overcooked liver.

I have enjoyed liver ever since then. I have had beef, pork (my favourite), chicken, moose, snowshoe hare, and porcupine liver. The porcupine liver was good once and tasted of pine the other time. It depends on what it has been eating. Didn't much like the pine flavoured liver. I'm not crazy about chicken liver. I usually find it's drier than I like. I also really like liver pâté. I have made a Danish style of liver pâté called "leverpostej". It was really tasty, but it was a gory mess to make it and it stank up the house while it was baking.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

A few years ago, after a botched medical procedure left me bleeding inside, I was on a high iron diet for a few weeks. If I drowned the liver in hot sauce, I could get it down.

Sorry, not part of the liver fan club.

CD
Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love liver! It's difficult making it for one. I hope I can find the brand and packaging you show KL. Otherwise, I have been ordering it at a local restaurant, a couple times a month.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love liver! It's difficult making it for one. I hope I can find the brand and packaging you show KL. Otherwise, I have been ordering it at a local restaurant, a couple times a month.

I was thinking of you PF, as I know you like liver too. That new packaging is ideal, and I hope you can find it somewhere. The individual slices are thin and really perfectly convenient. I'm glad I made two slices for myself, but one would have been enough really.

Tags
beef, recipe

Beef liver.. I know that most people turn up their nose about eating liver and I don't expect to change any minds about that. Now that's out of the way, there are those of us who really enjoy it once in a while. I prefer calf liver and up until last night, I haven't had it in years, although it was on the menu weekly when I was a child as I was anemic and it's a great source of iron. The supermarkets used to sell it in those white tubs and they often contained poorly cut and uneven slices so you never knew what they contained. Now they offer a much better alternative...(see picture). Anyway, the trick is to not over cook it or it will be tough and have a nasty texture and flavor. Simply season it with salt and pepper, dust it with flour and quick fry it till it's perfectly pink tender. Bacon grease is best, and the sides of bacon, onion and fried potatoes make it all worthwhile. Anybody else like liver? 3 stars 1 reviews