Beef roast? or something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what beef tartare is and no thank you!!!!!!!!

I have always wanted to make a roast like the ones I see in pictures, but I'm afraid I might not like that. So I think with half the beef I will try to make a stew of meat and potatoes and with the second part maybe I will try to make Mongolian beef or beef stroganoff.

Sounds like a good setup for an Irish coddle if you ask me, how do you like bacon?

1 lb bacon in strips
2 lb beef cubed
4 onions sliced
4 tbsp flour
black pepper and salt to taste
1 leek with green tops included
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme
1/3 cup fresh parsley
4 chopped garlic cloves
4 cups beef stock
4-6 russet potatoes cubed

broil the bacon until just starting to crisp, drain on paper towels, reserve fat

Toss cubed beef in flour, salt and pepper, brown on medium heat adding bacon fat, if you don't have enough fat, add a olive or vegetable oil. Set aside.

Using same skillet cook onions about 5-7 minutes until soft, but not caramelized.

Layer onions, beef, and bacon together in large casserole or dutch oven. Add chopped leeks, herbs, garlic, and finish with layer of potatoes. Pour stock over all.

Cover and bring to a boil on stove. Transfer to preheated oven at 300 degrees, cook for 45 minutes.

I usually serve this with soda bread.

TBS

I know what beef tartare is and no thank you!!!!!!!!

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I got talked into trying carpaccio, which is basically the same as tartare, except sliced instead of chopped up, and LOVED IT!

Also, try the 500 degrees for 5 minutes, then 200 per pound for med rare for roast beef. Slice some of it thin and have a go. You never know and, if you don't like it, you can always sear it in a pan to more done and/or use it in pot pie, stroganoff, etc.

Just think of them as a mild onion ;)

OK, onion I can live with.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I got talked into trying carpaccio, which is basically the same as tartare, except sliced instead of chopped up, and LOVED IT!

Also, try the 500 degrees for 5 minutes, then 200 per pound for med rare for roast beef. Slice some of it thin and have a go. You never know and, if you don't like it, you can always sear it in a pan to more done and/or use it in pot pie, stroganoff, etc.

Um, I won't knock it then, but I still don't think I'm going to try it. Having said that, however, I do enjoy my steak cooked almost rare.

I love you guys, but I'm not eating raw egg on raw hamburger. I could if I was starving, but I put beef tartare in the same category as sushi, caviar, and the innards of any sort of animal. Uh-uh.

I was a tremendously picky child and it took me years to eat tacos from Taco Bell, or onions or even peas and tomatoes. I have a lot of acquired tastes now so there's still hope, but honestly, I think I would have to live to 150 to eventually want to try the previously mentioned. It's like drinking a glass of milk. People don't always understand, but milk to me tastes like something dead smells and I would no more try almond milk than any of you would consider drinking gasoline, even if someone told you how good it tasted.

I sure do appreciate the beef suggestions, though, and I am surely going to give that Irish coddle a try.

I have no idea what my allergic symptoms are, since I don't eat vegetables if I can help it. LOL

OK, it's mostly green and cooked vegetables I don't like. The problem today is everyone is so focused on health that if I say I don't like vegetables, some people go berserk about it. So I just say I'm allergic and believe it or not, no one give me any flak about it then. It's become a joke among my friends now. If someone doesn't want wine with their dinner, they say they're allergic to wine.

I think I miss a lot by being a picky eater, but at the same time, I also appreciate the good tastes in life too as they appear. I just had Alfredo sauce for the first time in my life today, and it was yummy. Coming up? I'm dousing some shrimp in more homemade Alfredo sauce next month and calling that dinner. Forget the noodles.

Last edited:
I have no idea what my allergic symptoms are, since I don't eat vegetables if I can help it. LOL

OK, it's mostly green and cooked vegetables I don't like. The problem today is everyone is so focused on health that if I say I don't like vegetables, some people go berserk about it. So I just say I'm allergic and believe it or not, no one give me any flak about it then. It's become a joke among my friends now. If someone doesn't want wine with their dinner, they say they're allergic to wine.

I think I miss a lot by being a picky eater, but at the same time, I also appreciate the good tastes in life too as they appear. I just had Alfredo sauce for the first time in my life today, and it was yummy. Coming up? I'm dousing some shrimp in more homemade Alfredo sauce next month and calling that dinner. Forget the noodles.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. You don't eat vegetables but you're not allergic to them. There's a big difference there.
Like everyone, you're free to not eat whatever you choose but people with true allergies to foods will understandably take issue with your choice of terms. Jes sayin. :ermm:

You guys would be surprised at the pressure there is to drink. Maybe not by waitresses and waiters, but by the people you go with sometimes.

There really are people who keep on pushing it. Same as with a food you may not like. Try this, try that, have a little taste, it won't kill you, have you ever tasted it, how do you know you don't like it if you won't eat it once, etc, etc, etc.

I'm a person who hates saying no more than twice (and I can unequivocally say NO with no problem whatsoever in a way that no one could possibly misunderstand it), so when I have to say it three, four and sometimes five times, then I get a little irritated. Irritated to the point where I quit saying "no, thank you" to shouting, "LET ME EAT/DRINK WHAT I WANT!"

So as not to be thrown out on my ear from some nice restaurants and bars, it's just easier and nicer all round to tell people I can't eat or drink something the first time they ask.

I understand about people with real allergies maybe having an issue with this. I am on anti-depressants and I know about true depression, so I'm not happy when someone says all depressed people need is a kick in the pants. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that there are some things that are worth the stress of getting angry about and some things that aren't. Even though I don't have a thick skin, I don't let myself get upset by little things anymore, but I also don't expect to walk on egg shells for the rest of my life for fear of offending someone, either.

Last edited:
You guys would be surprised at the pressure there is to drink. Maybe not by waitresses and waiters, but by the people you go with sometimes.

There really are people who keep on pushing it. Same as with a food you may not like. Try this, try that, have a little taste, it won't kill you, have you ever tasted it, how do you know you don't like it if you won't eat it once, etc, etc, etc.

I'm a person who hates saying no more than twice (and I can unequivocally say NO with no problem whatsoever in a way that no one could possibly misunderstand it), so when I have to say it three, four and sometimes five times, then I get a little irritated. Irritated to the point where I quit saying "no, thank you" to shouting, "LET ME EAT/DRINK WHAT I WANT!"

So as not to be thrown out on my ear from some nice restaurants and bars, it's just easier and nicer all round to tell people I can't eat or drink something the first time they ask.

I understand about people with real allergies maybe having an issue with this. I am on anti-depressants and I know about true depression, so I'm not happy when someone says all depressed people need is a kick in the pants. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that there are some things that are worth the stress of getting angry about and some things that aren't. Even though I don't have a thick skin, I don't let myself get upset by little things anymore, but I also don't expect to walk on egg shells for the rest of my life for fear of offending someone, either.

RR, as you know, this is completely different.

Here's another strategy you might try. After you've said "No, thank you" a couple of times, just stop responding. Give them a look like "I can't believe you just said that" and change the subject or turn to someone else and ask how their food is or some other question.

Saying you're allergic (or celiac, as some people do) undermines people who really are. When restaurant staff hear it from every other person, they get pretty skeptical and that can lead to carelessness. That can cause serious problems for people who really do have reactions to those foods.

I guarantee that you are not allergic to vegetables. That said, the person who suggested Stroganoff is onto something. So is beef sate: cut into thin strips, marinate in ginger, garlic, and any commercial curry paste from a jar for an hour or so. Then skewer and grill for 2-3 minutes each side. Serve with a jar of Thai peanut sauce and vinegared cucumber slices.

Last edited by a moderator:
rodentraiser, you need a "Mikey". ;) Or, more like you need to BE a Mikey. Or have you really tried each kind of vegetable and deemed it unlikable? Back when our kids were in 3rd grade our daughter came home and told me one of her classmates was allergic to white milk, so she had to drink chocolate milk. :huh: I said to her "honey, you know how we make chocolate milk at home, right?" After she explained that we took white milk and added chocolate mix to the white milk it became chocolate milk, I then said "well, then, she's not allergic to it, she just doesn't like it". If you haven't tried all types of veggies prepared various ways. My SIL insisted she liked her carrots only raw or in soup, otherwise she didn't like them cooked. I roasted them as one of the veggie choices at Easter. After I strong-armed her into tasting a bite she said "wow, those are good" and took a couple full-length carrots. Doesn't like them boiled and buttered, but loved them roasted. Like Mikey, try it - you might like it.

rodentraiser, you need a "Mikey". ;) Or, more like you need to BE a Mikey. Or have you really tried each kind of vegetable and deemed it unlikable? Back when our kids were in 3rd grade our daughter came home and told me one of her classmates was allergic to white milk, so she had to drink chocolate milk. :huh: I said to her "honey, you know how we make chocolate milk at home, right?" After she explained that we took white milk and added chocolate mix to the white milk it became chocolate milk, I then said "well, then, she's not allergic to it, she just doesn't like it". You haven't tried all types of veggies prepared various ways. My SIL insisted she liked her carrots only raw or in soup, otherwise she didn't like them cooked. I roasted them as one of the veggie choices at Easter. After I strong-armed her into tasting a bite she said "wow, those are good" and took a couple full-length carrots. Doesn't like them boiled and buttered, but loved them roasted. Like Mikey, try it - you might like it. ;)

Er, no. I don't like vegetables and I don't like cucumbers. I am certainly going to try the Stroganoff, though. :yum: Hey, there's hope. I never thought I would eat cooked tomatoes either, and the cooked cherry tomatoes I had with chicken breast was to die for.

By the way, this morning I am trying a - I don't know what it is. I had a recipe for Mongolian beef all ready to go, then I saw another recipe for beef and broccoli (or in my case beef minus the broccoli), and I always wanted to try oyster sauce beef. But recipes for oyster sauce beef seem to be few and far between, even on the internet.

Is Mongolian beef and beef and broccoli the same thing?

So I took the best (I hope) of all worlds. I chopped the beef up into 1" cubes and put it in the crock pot with some chopped up onion. Then I made a sauce (I think) consisting of some beef broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic, pepper, cayenne, and ginger and poured it all over the beef.

We'll see if the result is edible.

I still haven't decided to what to do with the rest of the beef roast yet, but a stew with potatoes is really appealing to me now. That figures, because our temps are going up next week. Well, I never was in step with the seasons or even with the rest of world, so why start now? :glare: I would have made the stew this morning, but I didn't have any potatoes.

The other recipes here I've bookmarked and/or copied, because they really do look good. I do appreciate everyone posting here. And I am always adding new tastes to my buds, so you never know. Besides, I never learned anything from someone I agreed with.

OK, just tasted the sauce. It's actually good and tastes a lot like oyster sauce, which was what I was after. So now, what do I call this? Is it oyster sauce beef? It's a lot darker than any oyster sauce beef I ever saw before.

I need to say I also put in some brown sugar as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom