"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Beef roast? or something

I just got something called a a beef tip sirloin roast, or something to that effect. I've gotten and made pork roasts before, but never a beef roast because it's always been above my cut off price for meat. But this week they were really cheap so even I could afford it, so I bought it. It was a 3 1/2 lb roast and I cut it in two and froze it. Now my question is:

What is it and what do I do with it?

Crock pot, pan fry, oven roast? I don't like stews unless they just have potatoes (allergic to vegetables), so I wouldn't make it into that. Can I cut it up into steaks, which I don't need because coincidentally, petite sirloin steaks were on sale too for the first time in forever, so I bought a package of those.

Can I use it in fajitas like people use flank steak (never bought that either - way too expensive).

Mainly I'm looking for ways to season and cook the meat. I suppose I should add that potatoes are the only vegetable I'd add to it, or hey, is it possible to make a beef and potato casserole?

I forgot to add, I don't like beef roast sandwiches, the only cold meat I really don't like. Arby's doesn't like me.

Thank you for any help you all can give me.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Beef tip sirloin.
Slow cook it or oven roast it.
You can put some potatoes with it.
Yes, you could easily make it into fabulous fajitas.
You could slice it thin and make a stroganoff.
Pretty much whatever your heart desires.

Open Warm roast beef sandwiches topped with brown gravy is good.

Oh and I don't like Arby's anymore. For the prices, the portions are tiny.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have bought many of those at Costco. My favourite way to cook it is to oven roast it, sitting in an inch or two of liquid. It is not the most tender cut of meat. I have also been happy with it as chicken fried steak and Danish Pounded Beef with Juniper Berries
Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
Sous Chef

STROGANOFF! I never thought of that. Thank you!

Taxlady, I wonder then if I should put it in the crock pot.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
Senior Cook

That roast is made for the crock pot. Cook it up slow. I like with it a mushroom barley soup, no other veggies, with a little stock and some maple syrup or molasses about two tbsp to sweet it, and a tsp of cayenne.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
STROGANOFF! I never thought of that. Thank you!

Taxlady, I wonder then if I should put it in the crock pot.
Meat that does well in a slow cooker tends to have a lot of fat and cartilage that can melt out during a long cook. I don't know, but I suspect that sirloin tip would dry out in a slow cooker. When I braise it, I usually do it at 350F - 400F and I make sure that I don't overcook it. There may be better ways to cook it, but that works fairly well. The braising liquid makes great gravy.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
Sous Chef

But I thought that was the point of a slow cooker. What I meant was, I've heard that slow cookers are wasted on cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, that are lean and more tender than say, pork shoulder.

Of course, I'm one of those who throws stuff in the crock pot simply because I'm too flippin' lazy to cook it.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #8
Master Chef

How about Beef Teriyaki Sticks? Cut a thick slice off the roast and partly freeze so you can cut very thin long slices of the meat. Marinate the beef slices several hours in Teriyaki sauce, and string the meat on bamboo sticks. Broil or grill, and serve with sticky rice.

And here's another idea that looks delicious.....
Slow Cooker Korean Beef - Damn Delicious

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:47 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But I thought that was the point of a slow cooker. What I meant was, I've heard that slow cookers are wasted on cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, that are lean and more tender than say, pork shoulder.

Of course, I'm one of those who throws stuff in the crock pot simply because I'm too flippin' lazy to cook it.
If I remember correctly, sirloin tip is quite lean and there are one or two "sheets" of cartilage. It's not much mixed in with the meat, so I don't think that it will make the meat tender when that melts out. It would likely add a nice unctuousness to the liquid.

I'm trying to remember if we have made stew with it. That would give an idea of how well "low and slow" works.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I've done one of these on the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill. It came out great. I used a modified "snake method". My go to oven method is to preheat the oven to 500F, season the outside of the roast (@ room temp) then place it on a rack in a roasting pan, then into the oven for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, reduce the oven to 200F and cook for 1 hour per pound. Others on DC have tried this method and can verify that it works.

BTW, that piece of meat is called a ROAST for a reason, why ruin it in a crock pot? To me that is like putting a chicken or turkey in a "cook-in-bag".

Tags
beef, roast