Beef roast? or something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I just got something called a a beef tip sirloin roast, or something to that effect. I've gotten and made pork roasts before, but never a beef roast because it's always been above my cut off price for meat. But this week they were really cheap so even I could afford it, so I bought it. It was a 3 1/2 lb roast and I cut it in two and froze it. Now my question is:

What is it and what do I do with it?

Crock pot, pan fry, oven roast? I don't like stews unless they just have potatoes (allergic to vegetables), so I wouldn't make it into that. Can I cut it up into steaks, which I don't need because coincidentally, petite sirloin steaks were on sale too for the first time in forever, so I bought a package of those.

Can I use it in fajitas like people use flank steak (never bought that either - way too expensive).

Mainly I'm looking for ways to season and cook the meat. I suppose I should add that potatoes are the only vegetable I'd add to it, or hey, is it possible to make a beef and potato casserole?

I forgot to add, I don't like beef roast sandwiches, the only cold meat I really don't like. Arby's doesn't like me.

Thank you for any help you all can give me. :flowers:

Last edited:
Beef tip sirloin.
Slow cook it or oven roast it.
You can put some potatoes with it.
Yes, you could easily make it into fabulous fajitas.
You could slice it thin and make a stroganoff.
Pretty much whatever your heart desires.

Open Warm roast beef sandwiches topped with brown gravy is good.

Oh and I don't like Arby's anymore. For the prices, the portions are tiny.

That roast is made for the crock pot. Cook it up slow. I like with it a mushroom barley soup, no other veggies, with a little stock and some maple syrup or molasses about two tbsp to sweet it, and a tsp of cayenne.

STROGANOFF! I never thought of that. Thank you!

Taxlady, I wonder then if I should put it in the crock pot.
Meat that does well in a slow cooker tends to have a lot of fat and cartilage that can melt out during a long cook. I don't know, but I suspect that sirloin tip would dry out in a slow cooker. When I braise it, I usually do it at 350°F - 400°F and I make sure that I don't overcook it. There may be better ways to cook it, but that works fairly well. The braising liquid makes great gravy.

But I thought that was the point of a slow cooker. What I meant was, I've heard that slow cookers are wasted on cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, that are lean and more tender than say, pork shoulder.

Of course, I'm one of those who throws stuff in the crock pot simply because I'm too flippin' lazy to cook it.

How about Beef Teriyaki Sticks? Cut a thick slice off the roast and partly freeze so you can cut very thin long slices of the meat. Marinate the beef slices several hours in Teriyaki sauce, and string the meat on bamboo sticks. Broil or grill, and serve with sticky rice.

And here's another idea that looks delicious.....
Slow Cooker Korean Beef - Damn Delicious

Last edited:
But I thought that was the point of a slow cooker. What I meant was, I've heard that slow cookers are wasted on cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, that are lean and more tender than say, pork shoulder.

Of course, I'm one of those who throws stuff in the crock pot simply because I'm too flippin' lazy to cook it.
If I remember correctly, sirloin tip is quite lean and there are one or two "sheets" of cartilage. It's not much mixed in with the meat, so I don't think that it will make the meat tender when that melts out. It would likely add a nice unctuousness to the liquid.

I'm trying to remember if we have made stew with it. That would give an idea of how well "low and slow" works.

I've done one of these on the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill. It came out great. I used a modified "snake method". My go to oven method is to preheat the oven to 500F, season the outside of the roast (@ room temp) then place it on a rack in a roasting pan, then into the oven for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, reduce the oven to 200F and cook for 1 hour per pound. Others on DC have tried this method and can verify that it works.

BTW, that piece of meat is called a ROAST for a reason, why ruin it in a crock pot? To me that is like putting a chicken or turkey in a "cook-in-bag".:(

Last edited:
Craig is right - this cut is best used for an oven roast or other relatively quick-cooking method.

You could cut off a 1.5-inch slab, cut that into cubes, then marinate it with some cubed onions and mushrooms, skewer them and broil.

Sirloin Tip is one of my favorite cuts for making an oven roast. I like to salt and pepper it heavily all over and then slather it in olive oil, garlic, and herbs. If you can do it the day before, even better.

Let it sit out at room temperature for an hour or two before roasting so it can warm up a bit. Then put it into the oven at 225-250F and cook it to an internal temp of 120-125F. Take it out of the oven and crank the heat up to 500F. Let the meat rest while the oven comes up to temp. Then return the roast to the oven for about 10 minutes, or just enough to brown the outside.

This roast really benefits from a nice long rest. Tent it with foil and walk away for about 30 minutes. It will be juicy and flavorful. :yum:

The leftovers also make wonderful roast beef sandwiches.

You could always try something like the Hot Brown, The Hot Brown Signature Sandwich and much more at The English Grill in The Brown Hotel , and use roast beef instead of turkey. Or, you could do an open faced roast beef sandwich like a lot of diners do, slice of bread (toasted or not), slices of beef, a scoop of mashed potatoes and gravy on top, with a vege or 2 on the side. I like mine with untoasted bread, there's just something about sopping up the gravy with untoasted plain white bread (childhood comfort food memory).

I prefer to leave off the potatoes. But oh yes, at Medtran's suggestion.

+1. I like mine on a piece of day old Italian bread. That bread really sops up the gravy and is very tasty. But I leave off the taters. I prefer to mix in some frozen peas. Better than that Sunday Dinner Roast dinner. :angel:

I have the roast thawing out in the fridge. I am going to do something I haven't done for more than 20 years. I am going to roast it in a cooking bag. That is if Spike remembers to pick me up a couple of them. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom